GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2022 3:44 pm  #41

Re: GW Recruiting

The Dude wrote:

The only conclusion is that once Strickland quit mid season and Sutton left too the recruiting derailed

Most of the good recruits had direct ties to them

The Team Takedown relationship also was destroyed so that well dried up.

Half the team felt abused so that surely didn't help recruiting efforts either

Strickland did not quit mid-season.  He left less than a month before the start of official practice.

Once Sutton was also gone, recruiting was not derailed. The Core 4 class plus Zeke was gobbling up minutes meaning it's unreasonable to expect that another 4 potential starters would be recruited in the next class or the one after.  During these gaps, the recruits under Lonergan included Creek, Cavanaugh, Yuta, Jorgensen, Mitola, Roland, Sina, C. Smith, Marfo, Bolden, and Toro.  There were of course some recruiting misses, as is the case in practically every program, but there were simply way too many successful players here to consider the recruiting effort to be derailed.

Most of the better recruits did not have direct ties to Sutton and Strickland, primarily because those guys were gone at the time that many of these names were recruited.  Assistants generally are the more immediate contacts to recruits while the head coach often gets involved to help close the deal.  That said, it's funny you would bark up this tree because Lonergan was more of an exception to this rule.  He happened to be extremely visible to many recruits well before the closing pitch was made.   

Pretty sure you meant Team Takeover and not Team Takedown.  But if you're starting up an AAU Wrestling team, I love Team takedown.

Half the team did not feel abused.  The Post heard from 5 (at the time) current and former players.  So if you want to make the case that 4 of the 5 were current, though this could be less, that would mean 4 out of 15, not even close to half.  Those guys barely playing at the end of the bench?  That's a good place to look for guys who might not like their coach very much.

Other than these corrections, just a perfect post Dude.

1/14/2022 4:03 pm  #42

Joel Joseph wrote:

Mentz, wasn't Mojo hired by Nero?

Yes, I stand corrected. 
https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/gw-names-maurice-joseph-interim-head-coach-men%E2%80%99s-basketball

1/14/2022 4:29 pm  #43

Mayhem, dude doesn't let facts get in the way.
Like another famous alum of our 2nd tier law school once said (Michael Avenatti), facts are what you want them to be.

1/14/2022 4:58 pm  #44

He quit during the season, who does that? Guys who can't stand ML.  Same thing with the AAU Coaches who can't stand him.  Hard to sustain some success when you alienate your fellow Coaches, your players, families, AAU Coaches etc.  The knives came out for ML, fair or otherwise because of his poor interpersonal skills, Strickland in particular said he hated working with him.

Sutton and Strickland had direct ties to almost all of the good recruits, once they both left, the recruiting did fall off a cliff.  From Garino and Larsen to Goss and Juice.

The transfers too, we went from getting Zeke and Creek to Steeves and Mitola?   

Try to use just one name, you can do it.  Show a little dignity for a change.

1/14/2022 6:03 pm  #45

Again with the multiple names?  Here's the ultimate irony:  not only do I not post under multiple names, but I happen to know for a fact that you do.  The only difference is the old board was like the wild, wild west for you where you could post under as many names as you'd like, where on this board, you need to invest in the proper technology to post under multiple names.  So, I know for a fact that you've been posting all along here under two names, possibly more, but The Dude and one other that I know for a fact.

Here's the other thing that I can't understand.  Why does a troll troll?  I mean, what is your purpose in being here?  You must post twice as much as me and I'm a bit of an addict.  You say the same things over and over again.  You're often caught up in either distorting facts or outright lying.  And here's the thing...I find that so very few people ever agree with what you have to say.  You are a deliberate nuisance and many here would readily acknowledge this about you.  To endure the abuse that you do, not only from me but plenty of others as well (who I know you think are me but trust me, they are not), I don't know, after a while, maybe I'd take a hint and conclude that whatever your purpose is in doing what you do here just may not be working out.  It's really like you're a glutton for punishment.

Since it appears that Barry will never get rid of you, maybe you can start by not making the same tireless points again and again.  Everyone on this board knows your views on the subjects of Mike Lonergan, GW recruiting under and since Lonergan, Mark Few, Tom Crean, Shaka Smart, and how you perceived forecasters felt about this year's team before the season started.  We all know because you've made your same points on each topic hundreds if not thousands of times.  I know you probably don't enjoy being referred to as a troll but you should understand that this is exactly how a troll behaves.  

So let's all assume that if your continued purpose is to continue making your same points about these same subjects and continue to repeat yourself incessantly, that your sole objective here is to troll the board.  On the other hand, if you would like to contribute some original thoughts, or essentially behave like any other poster here, I'd say this would be welcomed.  Losing your other persona(s) would also be a good start.  

Last edited by Gwmayhem (1/14/2022 6:06 pm)

1/14/2022 6:30 pm  #46

Dude at 1650+ posts in 2 1/2 years - must be nice not to have a job!

1/14/2022 6:36 pm  #47

The Dude wrote:

He quit during the season, who does that? Guys who can't stand ML.  Same thing with the AAU Coaches who can't stand him.  Hard to sustain some success when you alienate your fellow Coaches, your players, families, AAU Coaches etc.  The knives came out for ML, fair or otherwise because of his poor interpersonal skills, Strickland in particular said he hated working with him.

Sutton and Strickland had direct ties to almost all of the good recruits, once they both left, the recruiting did fall off a cliff.  From Garino and Larsen to Goss and Juice.

The transfers too, we went from getting Zeke and Creek to Steeves and Mitola?   

Try to use just one name, you can do it.  Show a little dignity for a change.

You would think listening to the Dude that Pete Strickland would've have been scooped up by another school immediately (being the successful recruiter that the Dude claims he is) if it was just that Pete couldn't stand ML. Yet, here we are how many years later? Pete is caretaking at DeMatha so obviously he had some interest in coaching again. How come no college offers Dude? I'll answer the question for you. That's because Pete Strickland had very little impact on the recruiting.

You can spin it however you would like. Those that know, know.

1/15/2022 12:18 pm  #48

Hawai'i football coach Todd Graham, facing mounting allegations of mistreating players in the program, resigned Friday after two seasons with the school.

Graham's decision comes a week after a state senate hearing in which former players provided testimony alleging verbal abuse and other problems within the culture of the football program.

Must be a secret plot to silence the whistle blower! The real culprit is clearly the AD

1/15/2022 12:50 pm  #49

The Dude wrote:

Hawai'i football coach Todd Graham, facing mounting allegations of mistreating players in the program, resigned Friday after two seasons with the school.

Graham's decision comes a week after a state senate hearing in which former players provided testimony alleging verbal abuse and other problems within the culture of the football program.

Must be a secret plot to silence the whistle blower! The real culprit is clearly the AD

Dude, don't be an asshole, you know every situation is different. 

1/15/2022 3:25 pm  #50

One thing remains consistent and true throughout several years here and the previous board:

1. The Dude makes a statement
2. Said statement is shown to be false/crazy
3. Dude changes subject.

Board footera