GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2022 10:10 am  #1

OT: WTF WFT

It's February 2, Groundhog Day.  The day the Washington Football Team said they would unveil their new name.  How could it not be The Washington Hogs?  A throwback to much more prosperous times for the franchise.  Announced on Groundhog Day.  Unless, a team incapable of executing most misdirection plays on the field was pulling one off it.  Let them think it's Hogs, boy will they be surprised.

As true to form, a franchise which had over a year and a half to come up with a new name, could not only fail to get this right but in the process, failed to keep it a secret. Joe Theismann, a true insider who I guess needs to be in order to broadcast 2 or 3 preseason games in August, leaked the news on the radio.  Then, he made a feeble attempt to backtrack, proving that an acting career was never in the cards for him despite his never meeting a camera or microphone that he did not want caress.  (On a side note, a friend of mine purchased a Joe Theismann "cameo" for my birthday.  Not sure why Joe as I don't have any real allegiance to him.  Nevertheless, I must admit he solidly nailed it.)

The same can not be said for what is now known as The Washington Commanders.  My wife had the very same initial thought as perhaps some of you...are they going to call them the Commies?  In this day and age, it needs to have some shortened version.  In the NFL alone, we have the Boys, the Fish (or Fins), the Niners, the Jags, the Broncs, the Hawks, the Cards, the Vikes, the Pack, the Bucs, the Pats, and I am sure I am missing others.  If not Commies, then seriously, what?

I didn't follow this name change story very closely.  Maybe there were fan polls, or focus groups.  Or maybe, just maybe, one despicable owner heard the word and thought, "Commander.  I like that."  The last time I gave this much thought to Commander (no disrespect meant to our military of which I am not a part of), I was a little kid watching Commander McBragg cartoons.  (And if you were born later than say 1973, you may be out of luck on that reference.)

If we really wanted a name to help epitomize the team's "beloved" owner, why is this team not The Washington Predators?  It can work in Nashville but not in DC?  (Yes, I get the dual meaning.)  Apparently, there were "trademark issues" with Wolves and Redwolves that prevented the team from using these names.  That's right, Snyder is so hated that people off the street buy these domains so that they can attempt to extort him by purchasing the rights to these names.

No, the last laugh is not on these entrepreneurs.  It's on those of us (myself included) who want to see this franchise prosper in spite of its ownership.  And to think, we could have been:

The Washington Gridlock (between traffic and Congress, can Washington be better represented?)
The Washington Beltway (let's go Belts)
The Washington Hogs (or Redhogs if you feel that Red must be a part of this)
The Washington Theismanns (would have leaked in 2021)

And let's not forget the obvious, The Washington Football Team.  The Team.  Or, The Football Team.  If you thought it sounded dumb before, you undoubtedly love it now.

2/02/2022 10:23 am  #2

Re: OT: WTF WFT

Awful name.

It 100% had to do with Snyder wanting the name to be for “the troops.”

There’s going to be so much cammo and other pro-military paraphernalia it’s almost going to seem like a parody.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/02/2022 10:24 am)

2/02/2022 10:45 am  #3

Decades ago, punk singer Jello Biafra suggested a DC team be named the "Washington Bribes" (the thinking being "bet on the Bribes, they always win!"). I guess that would still be available to replace "Colonials" when that moment is upon us...

2/02/2022 12:14 pm  #4

To me the Commanders is typical of what a PR firm would come up with. Its not very interesting or inspiring, but not objectionable either, just boring. But I don't care what they call them, I just want them to win.

As for GW, the WFT considered one name that I think would be great if the university bows under pressure to ditch Colonials, and that's the Revolution. The George Washington Revolution would be pretty cool, imho. GW was better known for being a revolutionary than a colonial anyway. In fact, GW's greatest life work was to ensure that he and his fellow countrymen were no longer colonials...

Last edited by DC Native (2/02/2022 12:15 pm)

2/02/2022 12:24 pm  #5

From my latest refresh of the "Commander (Military Rank)" Wikipedia:

Commanders is now the name of the Washington Football Team. This name was chosen because it is the third highest rank in a police force, and Washington's football team has historically been ranked third in the NFC East. This name change was announced on February 2, 2022. The organization had conducted fan polls, however the ownership group, led by Dan Snyder, was too embroiled in sexual harassment lawsuits to listen. It is also believed that Washington does not have any legitimate fan support.

Commanders is a terrible name. It is meaningless, overlong, confusing, and just plain odd. And if the team does anything but honor the Navy, it will be deeply stupid. 

2/02/2022 5:11 pm  #6

DC Native wrote:

As for GW, the WFT considered one name that I think would be great if the university bows under pressure to ditch Colonials, and that's the Revolution. The George Washington Revolution would be pretty cool, imho. GW was better known for being a revolutionary than a colonial anyway. In fact, GW's greatest life work was to ensure that he and his fellow countrymen were no longer colonials...

I think an MLS team has gotten its grubby hands on that one. And "Revolutionaries" would go over poorly, even if students were only allowed to attend if wearing Mao suits. And "Constitutions" might lead to confusion over if it were a reference to the legal document or bowel movements, especially after people saw our team play.

2/03/2022 11:25 pm  #7

The other problem with  “Commanders” is that’s what the bad guys are called in The Handmaid’s Tale.  The men who round up and rape all fertile women, while publicly hanging anyone who steps out of line, are called Commanders. 

That’s going to lead to a lot of jokes.  It was truly poorly thought out and I agree that it’s just an out of touch doofus who thought it would make his team the military team as if that could help them compete to be the new America’s Team.”

2/04/2022 12:55 am  #8

Free Quebec wrote:

The other problem with  “Commanders” is that’s what the bad guys are called in The Handmaid’s Tale.  The men who round up and rape all fertile women, while publicly hanging anyone who steps out of line, are called Commanders. 

That’s going to lead to a lot of jokes.  It was truly poorly thought out and I agree that it’s just an out of touch doofus who thought it would make his team the military team as if that could help them compete to be the new America’s Team.”

Lot of handwringing over the football team’s reboot - the name, the unveiling, fan input, fight song, unis. Guess a glimpse of what we’ll see on a smaller scale if Colonials is jettisoned. At least local football fans will be able to cheer, “Let’s Go OfDans” Clap. Clap. Clap, clap, clap.

2/04/2022 9:41 am  #9

I am apparently in the minority about this, but while agreeing that it is a "meh" name, ultimately who cares?  I can't imagine any name would result in any more wins or put any more fans in the seats.  I suspect that like the Wizards, the name will ultimately grow on the fanbase, who will stop giving it any second thoughts.   As for football itself, although due to my NY roots I nominally remain a Jet fan, the closest thing I have to a football passion is to root against Washington.   Still have bitter memories of my early years in the region (which began in 1969), in which there was a "my poop don't stink" attitude towards the (then) Redskins in my town, especially that the Redskins were the only team that mattered...baseball, basketball and hockey be damned.  Although I eventually became a big fan of the Nationals and kinda pull for the Capitals (not really a hockey fan) and Wizards (although I remain loyal to the Knicks for some strange reason),  this whole "football is god" attitude has really turned me off to that sport, and particularly the local franchise.  I recognize and appreciate the skills, athleticism and strategies involved in the game, but in the end, I always thought football to be the perfect sport for a violence worshipping, Ritalin addicted American society.  

2/04/2022 10:16 am  #10

At first I thought “Commandos” would have been a much better name.””Go commandos”” brought me off the 
ledge.What’s the deal with “going Commando”anyway?Ill be 75 in April and it’s difficult for me to take in 
the relentless stimuli from mass culture.

Last edited by GW69 (2/04/2022 10:19 am)

2/04/2022 10:59 am  #11

Gwmayham, I'm surprised the dude let you start a new topic since he seems determined to plaster the board with his moniker.

2/04/2022 11:13 am  #12

BC wrote:

Gwmayham, I'm surprised the dude let you start a new topic since he seems determined to plaster the board with his moniker.

BC, I heard the "Bishops" were proposed by the Dude in their naming contest. Had that been accepted he would then be able to call them "America's Greatest Team." 

2/04/2022 11:35 am  #13

GWRising wrote:

BC, I heard the "Bishops" were proposed by the Dude in their naming contest.

Not gonna lie, Bishops would be another great nickname for Catholic U.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/04/2022 11:35 am)

2/04/2022 12:37 pm  #14

Personally, I'm partial to the Washington Firestormers.

(Actually, that's not horrible.)

Board footera