GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2022 6:45 pm  #61

Re: Transfer: Darren Buchanan, Forward, 2022 - Transferring from Va Tech

Gwmayhem wrote:

Time for my very unofficial handicapping based on these recent quotes along with my paraphrasing on DBJ's behalf.:

Georgetown   14-1.   I appreciate their history and where they once were back when Coach Ewing was a player.  But, this program seems to be in a bad state right now and besides, they got to me pretty late in the game.

Virginia Tech.   9-2.   This might be perfect if the campus was located someplace other than Blacksburg, VA.  But, this is the ACC which means I'll play at Cameron, the Dean Dome, the Carrier Dome, etc.

GW:  4-1     They are great people who believed in me very early on.  Close to home.  Good competition.  Can't understand why they aren't winning more, but maybe I can help a lot with that.

Rutgers:  11-2.   Program is on the rise and minutes will be opening up for me right away.  Big 10 is great basketball but it's a lot of far away travel.  How often will the family get to see me play?

George Mason: 4-1.  English is a hot young coach who is getting talent.  Has not recruited me for nearly as long but this is his first year at Mason.  Close to home.

I'm pretty much on the same page as your odds.  Kim English has definitely been doing good work on the recruiting front but Mason already has Justyn Fernandez (who already enrolled early) and Ticket Gaines. When it comes to Tech, hopefully Bamisile can relate his first hand experience of that exact choice of schools.  Georgetown would be a total gamble because who knows if Ewing et al will still be there.  Basically picking a school based on name recognition alone.  Rutgers may actually have higher odds based on PT and being a BCS program.  Hopefully the pull to play close to home stays strong and players like Bishop, Bamisile, and Lindo can explain how playing at the BCS level isn't all it's cracked up to be.

If he wants significant playing time as a Freshman and to become the face of homegrown DMV basketball alongside Brayon Freeman there's one perfect spot for him in Foggy Bottom.

2/20/2022 2:32 pm  #62

2/20/2022 5:18 pm  #63

Congrats to Darren!
He can play the next 4 years in the city, right in front of his family. 

2/21/2022 8:18 am  #64

I think DBJ is down in Blacksburg this weekend.  Too bad he missed a good one at Smith Center.

2/21/2022 5:08 pm  #65

He was at the VT loss to NC.

2/21/2022 5:09 pm  #66

GW0509 wrote:

I think DBJ is down in Blacksburg this weekend.  Too bad he missed a good one at Smith Center.

Gotta figure JC reached out to him to let him know!!

2/22/2022 2:00 pm  #67

Mike K wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Gotta figure JC reached out to him to let him know!!

and hopefully included Bamisile's VT stats vs. GW stats

2/22/2022 2:19 pm  #68

We are just going to have to wait but I don't think it will be long. All the tea leaves are pointing to either VA Tech or us. But all the tea leaves in the world aren't going to give you insight into Darren's final decision. To me (I'm biased), GW is the overwhelmingly better fit for a number of reasons including:

1. Immediate Playing Time - we have a need for him, VA Tech is just accumulating talent
2. Proximity to Home  - no 5 hour car trips to Blacksburg
3. Academics/Future Network here in DC
4. Chance to Develop as a Player - He will be allowed to grow outside the pressure cooker of the ACC
5. Fit with the program as far as personality - from what I know he will get along great with our current players

But Darren has to see that for himself. We can only hope.

2/22/2022 4:52 pm  #69

Would think that his not committing to VA Tech during his visit was hopeful if it is down to 2, but who knows.
Obviously, nearby GW is the best choice, as demonstrated by Joe Bam...

2/22/2022 4:56 pm  #70

Joe Bam is a great example for him and hopefully he's paying attention to that.

2/23/2022 10:17 am  #71

I spoke to someone (not JC) who should know and he says it's all but a done deal for VA Tech. I hope he's wrong but doubt he's going to be. Disappointing but I think we did all we could here and outworked all the other schools. In the end if that is what happens, I think it just came down to a chance to play in ACC. We should learn very soon.

2/23/2022 11:13 am  #72

That would stink but not totally unsurprising.

The thing about JC is that hopefully his strong connections to players that ultimately choose BCS schools over us pay off if/when the kid decides to transfer. We’ve already got that relationship and the kid knows what GW has to offer.

Like Lindo, Bishop, and Bamisile have proven, the grass isn’t always greener at a BCS school. Better to be an all conference player in the A10 than a 5 mpg bench player in the ACC.

2/23/2022 12:05 pm  #73

Let's also not forget that JC and Mike Young have a very good relationship.  They are both from Virginia, and share a connection to Emory & Henry College.  Young enthusiastically recommended Joe Bamisile to JC.

Nothing to be counted on of course, but not out of the question down the road either.

2/23/2022 8:17 pm  #74

GW is playing better, which masks things. But the same concern holds true for me-I don’t yet see a path for a rise to the top 5 of the A-10 with this path of recruiting and this team. Maybe it’s there. But we are looking at Jabari and Keegan for the front court-neither of whom seem to generate lots of excitement. And the guards, assuming Bishop stays, look good but are not exactly full of depth. I believe we lose lindo and Adams. I presume we lose Nixon. So we are I guess just hoping for a good group of transfers and some growth in players. Here’s hoping! At least not having gapare allowed us the chance to be disappointed in missing out on two guys.

2/23/2022 8:30 pm  #75

Adams has two years of eligibility (so 1 left). Lindo does have another if he chooses to use it.

2/24/2022 9:39 am  #76

danjsport wrote:

GW is playing better, which masks things. But the same concern holds true for me-I don’t yet see a path for a rise to the top 5 of the A-10 with this path of recruiting and this team. Maybe it’s there. But we are looking at Jabari and Keegan for the front court-neither of whom seem to generate lots of excitement. And the guards, assuming Bishop stays, look good but are not exactly full of depth. I believe we lose lindo and Adams. I presume we lose Nixon. So we are I guess just hoping for a good group of transfers and some growth in players. Here’s hoping! At least not having gapare allowed us the chance to be disappointed in missing out on two guys.

Adams will be back. 

I have one quibble which is that I think with better bigs, our guards are good enough (especially with one more year of experience).  Brayon is a real deal point guard, JoeBam looks like an NBA player when he’s shooting it well, Bishop is a high level scorer, and Adams is a decent enough bench player.

It’s the frontcourt that needs immediate help, and I think the jury is still out on whether JC can get a team ready to win from day 1 to have any hope of being a top 4 or 5 team.

2/24/2022 9:57 am  #77

Free Quebec wrote:

danjsport wrote:

Adams will be back.

I have one quibble which is that I think with better bigs, our guards are good enough (especially with one more year of experience). Brayon is a real deal point guard, JoeBam looks like an NBA player when he’s shooting it well, Bishop is a high level scorer, and Adams is a decent enough bench player.

It’s the frontcourt that needs immediate help, and I think the jury is still out on whether JC can get a team ready to win from day 1 to have any hope of being a top 4 or 5 team.

If I had to venture a guess today, I would anticipate the following returning (this is based on general information and belief but nothing specific as to any single player)::

Bishop
Bamisile
Adams
Freeman
Dean
Samuels

I would guess (but again no definite word) Lindo (pro - overseas), Harris (graduates) and Nixon (transfers) will depart. I am not sure about Brown - could go either way. Think he loves the school but not sure if he wants a bigger role elsewhere. Hard to know.

We will add Keegan Harvey and Jabari West up-front. Among the walk-ons, there may also be some changes.

So I would imagine depending on what actually happens with Lindo, Harris, Nixon and Brown, we are probably looking at a minimum of 3-4 additional scholarship players being added either from HS or via transfer. That all said there are other irons in the fire besides Buchanan. The transfer market will heat up in about 2-3 weeks as coaches are let go and teams conclude their seasons.

2/24/2022 10:16 pm  #78

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

danjsport wrote:

Adams will be back.

I have one quibble which is that I think with better bigs, our guards are good enough (especially with one more year of experience). Brayon is a real deal point guard, JoeBam looks like an NBA player when he’s shooting it well, Bishop is a high level scorer, and Adams is a decent enough bench player.

If I had to venture a guess today, I would anticipate the following returning (this is based on general information and belief but nothing specific as to any single player)::

Bishop
Bamisile
Adams
Freeman
Dean
Samuels

I would guess (but again no definite word) Lindo (pro - overseas), Harris (graduates) and Nixon (transfers) will depart. I am not sure about Brown - could go either way. Think he loves the school but not sure if he wants a bigger role elsewhere. Hard to know.

We will add Keegan Harvey and Jabari West up-front. Among the walk-ons, there may also be some changes.

So I would imagine depending on what actually happens with Lindo, Harris, Nixon and Brown, we are probably looking at a minimum of 3-4 additional scholarship players being added either from HS or via transfer. That all said there are other irons in the fire besides Buchanan. The transfer market will heat up in about 2-3 weeks as coaches are let go and teams conclude their seasons.

Have you heard that Nixon is going to transfer out? Also, won't Ira Lee be back next year?

Last edited by MG14 (2/24/2022 10:16 pm)

2/25/2022 9:53 am  #79

I have not heard definitively that Nixon is leaving but I'd be surprised if he stayed.

Ira Lee is no longer enrolled at GW. I think he decided the combination of graduate school and extensive rehab here in DC was not for him.

2/25/2022 12:01 pm  #80

GWRising wrote:

I have not heard definitively that Nixon is leaving but I'd be surprised if he stayed.

Ira Lee is no longer enrolled at GW. I think he decided the combination of graduate school and extensive rehab here in DC was not for him.

Was not aware that Ira Lee left. We really need some immediate help at the 4 and 5 then. Really a shame about Nixon. I won't speculate as to what's going on but would've been nice to see that work out. Any word on what will happen with Noel Brown? His playing time has taken a huge hit on a team that doesn't have many bigs.

Board footera