GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2022 6:36 pm  #121

Re: GW vs Mason Game Thread

Here we go - blaming the officiating for our meltdown by our resident expert!
You can't make this stuff up.

2/28/2022 7:41 pm  #122

GW Rising: I'm sure I've watched plenty more college basketball games than you so don't lecture me. Enough being an apologist for this coach. This was not just one game that got away because of Christian's "coaching" down the stretch. There have been many situations just like this one. He doesn't discipline his players and he apparently has no strategic plan at the end of games except to wish his players well and hope whatever shot they decide to take goes in. If you haven't noticed a pattern over 3 seasons, maybe you should be watching more games. GW was the better team yesterday, had an eight point lead in the second half, six with a few minutes left and then disappeared. 

2/28/2022 9:16 pm  #123

8 point lead at the half, and 6 point lead down the stretch...lost both. Coaching is the issue.

3/01/2022 9:38 am  #124

moneybox wrote:

GW Rising: I'm sure I've watched plenty more college basketball games than you so don't lecture me. Enough being an apologist for this coach. This was not just one game that got away because of Christian's "coaching" down the stretch. There have been many situations just like this one. He doesn't discipline his players and he apparently has no strategic plan at the end of games except to wish his players well and hope whatever shot they decide to take goes in. If you haven't noticed a pattern over 3 seasons, maybe you should be watching more games. GW was the better team yesterday, had an eight point lead in the second half, six with a few minutes left and then disappeared. 

Yeah ok. Whatever you say. So he could for 35 minutes but not the last 5 ... got it lol. 

3/01/2022 9:38 am  #125

An issue GW has had all season is allowing teams to go on long runs against us.   Maybe it is not panicing (or maybe it is), but  we certainly don't hold up well under preasure.   For whatever the reason, it was very obvious that our shot selection down the stretch vs. Mason was very poor. and we were completely unable to come p with big plays on defense.  If it wasn't panic, it was certainly folding under the preasure of the moment, as we resorted to our old nemisis of "hero" (read that selfish) ball rather than team play.   I think there may be enough blame between the players and the coach to go around, but a solid team does not fail to respond as GW did at the end of the Mason game.  Again, the refs did not cost us the game...our poor play down the stretch did.  Yes, we are certainly better than what we have had to endure these past few years, and we may be just 2-3 solid players away from being a top team in the conference, but we are just not there yet.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/01/2022 9:42 am)

3/01/2022 9:47 am  #126

Joel Joseph wrote:

Here we go - blaming the officiating for our meltdown by our resident expert!
You can't make this stuff up.

Well in fairness to the Dude, a broken clock is right twice a day, it wasn't the officiating so much in the last 5 minutes as it was the first 35. At one point the foul count was 16 for GW and 5 for Mason well into the second half and GW was in considerable foul trouble and had to sit multiple guys. Oduro with zero fouls as he consistently shoved guys in the back on rebounds. The missed travel on the Oduro dunk was really bad. I am still amzed as physical as Oduro plays he didn't pick up a single foul. We got hit at the rim several times no call but we are in the general area and we pick up fouls. The simple fact is GW would have been up double digits and probably not had the collapse if the game had been called more evenly the first 35. Both teams shot the same number of threes so it wasn't like one was going to the rim and the other wasn't.

But regardless you have to overcome bad officiating and we didn't execute at the end so we take the L and move on.

Board footera