GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2022 3:44 pm  #41

Re: Turnaround History

GW0509 wrote:

Many expect Kyle Neptune to take home the honors with a losing conference record.

Yeah.  if GW had beat Fordham this weekend, pretty good chance it would have been JC at 9-8.

3/07/2022 3:54 pm  #42

The Dude wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Many expect Kyle Neptune to take home the honors with a losing conference record.

Yeah.  if GW had beat Fordham this weekend, pretty good chance it would have been JC at 9-8.

Highly doubtful.  0-6 against those teams with a better seed.  2-8 against the 8 other schools within the top 9.

I love what Neptune has done but I really hope it goes to McKillop.  The award often goes to the guy who did the most with the least which by definition, penalizes those teams with the most talent or the highest expectations.  The media and coaches had Davidson finishing 6th before the start of the season.  This was the rare combination of someone with a fair amount of talent still managing to exceed expectations to a wide extent.

3/07/2022 4:53 pm  #43

I would say McKillop gets it, although the fact that Neptune got a Fordham team to .500 with 8 wins in the A10 is pretty remarkable.

No way JC is in contention for coach of the year, but if they had an award for coach of the second half of the year, he would deserve consideration. GW was dead last in the A10 in NET rankings at the end of the OOC, and is still ranked 12th due to the poor OOC showing, and yet still managed to finish 7th. But coach of the year should be for the entire year, not just the second half.

3/07/2022 6:09 pm  #44

We also got a bonus or asterisk in our record by not playing St. Bonaventure. You never know till the game is played,but given our performance against the top of the league, it would likely make us 8-10 in the league.

3/07/2022 7:11 pm  #45

I'd vote for McKillop. 

But Kyle Neptune, picked to finish 14th, and JC, picked to finish 13th, both way exceeding expectations are at minimum, candidates

3/08/2022 10:11 am  #46

The Dude wrote:

Two types of Coach of Year winners.  Guy with the best team (most common) and guy who most exceeded expectations

An example For Coach of the Year from Exhibit B

Macarchuk won Atlantic 10 Conference Coach of the Year honors after the Rams went 12-15, including a 5-11 mark in conference.

This example is from 1999.  If you have to go back 23 years to find an example that proved your point, it's probably not a good point.

3/08/2022 10:36 am  #47

Fordham 0-7 against top 6 in league. If that gets you COY then the A-10 is a joke.

3/08/2022 11:57 am  #48

The A-10 may be a joke this year.  First time in KenPom history that a +200 ranked team (us at 222) has finished in the top half of the league.

Board footera