GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2022 12:12 pm  #1

The UMASS Matchup

GW has defeated UMASS the last 9 times they have faced them.  We certainly match up well as their keys to success are to play fast and be hot from 3.  In the first meeting, they made 4 of their first 5 three point attempts but rather than panic, GW only became more determined to take away their downtown shooting.  The Minutemen shot 4-22 from 3 the rest of the way.  GW finished second in the conference at 3 point FG% defense, only behind VCU who I believe was Top 10 nationally in that category.

In the first meeting, we shot 21 free throws which is another key to this game.  UMASS does not have great depth so getting 1-2 players in foul trouble can be huge.  I believe their best player, Noah Fernandes, was in foul trouble in the first meeting.  We threw a steady diet of Brayon, James and Brendan on him and the different looks worked very well.  We outscored UMASS in the paint, one of the few times we had this advantage all season.  Ricky played in the first meeting was not at all himself.  Hunter Dean had 10 points and 12 rebounds; suffice it to say that similar production is not only possible but would go a long way towards winning this game.  Brendan came out of a slump and played really well, scoring 13 while handing out 5 assists and playing great defense.  James was 0-5 from 3 but still managed to score a cool 24.  

Before we start thinking about Dayton, it should be noted that UMASS is in the midst of one of those kooky things where they announce the firing of their coach, effective at the end of the season, and they've gone 2-0 since.  These two wins came over Fordham and George Mason, the very same two schools who GW lost to over the last week of the season.  This alone ought to grab GW's collective attention.

3/08/2022 1:04 pm  #2

Re: The UMASS Matchup

This is the X factor to the fact that we've been owning them for years. They're motivated.

3/10/2022 9:08 am  #3

jf, it's up to everyone be motivated from here on in.  If you can't get up for a tournament game, you probably should not be playing the sport.

While no single game should determine success or failure for a team, today's game presents an interesting opportunity to see how far this team has come, almost like taking a final exam.  What did the team learn and retain over the course of this season?  Will the number of selfish "hero ball" plays be limited?  Will the team share the ball and take only good looks from 3 plus high percentage shots?  Whether the game plan is to force turnovers, control the glass, get to the foul line, etc., will the team successfully execute the game plan?  Can certain players (I'll keep them nameless) avoid silly fouls?

A win tonight means that GW likely plays with the house's money for the remainder of its season (sure, we can beat Dayton and then play a URI team who knocks off Richmond and VCU on consecutive days, but this parlay should not be counted upon).  But not tonight.  I don't care who is favored or what the advanced stats say.  Tonight is more than winnable.  We've beaten this school 9 straight so let's not have our intelligence insulted by even remotely suggesting that a loss is palatable since we were the dog coming in.  That's bullshit and everybody but one poster here knows this.

Play smart, play as a team, defend the 3 like crazy (our single best strength), and GW should be fine.  

3/10/2022 9:30 am  #4

3/10/2022 9:37 am  #5

3/10/2022 12:32 pm  #6

Gwmayhem wrote:

GW has defeated UMASS the last 9 times they have faced them.  We certainly match up well as their keys to success are to play fast and be hot from 3.  In the first meeting, they made 4 of their first 5 three point attempts but rather than panic, GW only became more determined to take away their downtown shooting.  The Minutemen shot 4-22 from 3 the rest of the way.  GW finished second in the conference at 3 point FG% defense, only behind VCU who I believe was Top 10 nationally in that category.

In the first meeting, we shot 21 free throws which is another key to this game.  UMASS does not have great depth so getting 1-2 players in foul trouble can be huge.  I believe their best player, Noah Fernandes, was in foul trouble in the first meeting.  We threw a steady diet of Brayon, James and Brendan on him and the different looks worked very well.  We outscored UMASS in the paint, one of the few times we had this advantage all season.  Ricky played in the first meeting was not at all himself.  Hunter Dean had 10 points and 12 rebounds; suffice it to say that similar production is not only possible but would go a long way towards winning this game.  Brendan came out of a slump and played really well, scoring 13 while handing out 5 assists and playing great defense.  James was 0-5 from 3 but still managed to score a cool 24.  

Before we start thinking about Dayton, it should be noted that UMASS is in the midst of one of those kooky things where they announce the firing of their coach, effective at the end of the season, and they've gone 2-0 since.  These two wins came over Fordham and George Mason, the very same two schools who GW lost to over the last week of the season.  This alone ought to grab GW's collective attention.

I would say this. We are the higher seed - we should win. I expect to win. If we don't win it would be a disappointment but not a devastating (as in WTF) loss. We are not yet good enough where we win every game we are supposed to win. We have patched some holes but we aren't watertight yet. Likewise, a win doesn't really change anything because we are supposed to win. So I would say that we shouldn't get too high or too low based on the outcome. If we can win 2 games, then we will be talking about something significant. Otherwise, win or lose tonight we still have more work to do to get the program where we all think it can be. Tonight is just another part of the process.

3/10/2022 1:29 pm  #7

Bless John Feinstein for cheerleading for the conference, but in the part about A10 schools in the Final Four shouldn´t he have mentioned LaSalle´s national championship and umASS´ trip to the Final Four as an A10 member?

3/10/2022 1:56 pm  #8

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Bless John Feinstein for cheerleading for the conference, but in the part about A10 schools in the Final Four shouldn´t he have mentioned LaSalle´s national championship and umASS´ trip to the Final Four as an A10 member?

I was thinking the same thing. It is not like him to get things wrong like that. But I too appreciate the positive assessment of the conference.

3/10/2022 2:21 pm  #9

It will be our usual steady three-guard diet of hoists and lane drives with a little Adams sprinkled in and the usual Dean-Brown flotilla.
I give a lot of credit for and am surprised a little about our excellent 3FG defense. It used to be absolutely heinous and the best way to beat us.
This would be a horrible time for us to our stranglehold on umASS, and while we all know it is a possibility, I'm going to say that because of their lack of a serious post threat beyond Buttlick, we match up well with them and win by 3 late, hopefully not on some late 28-foot jack from Joe Bam but probably.

Board footera