GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2022 2:42 pm  #1

2022 A10 Tournament

I should've started this yesterday or before the 1st game today, but I think the A10's conference tournament deserves its own thread. George Mason's season just ended with a lackluster performance against Fordham. George Mason started 4-1 in conference play but ended up finishing in 9th place with an opening round loss to Fordham!!

3/10/2022 7:36 pm  #2

Re: 2022 A10 Tournament

Looking forward to attending on Sat and Sun. I went in 2018 and it was a blast. Would be even better if our team won it, or at least made it to Sunday.

The conference tournament is much maligned but conference title games are the few sporting events anymore that really give me goosebumps. At least until tipoff.

3/10/2022 8:10 pm  #3

Alum '04 wrote:

Looking forward to attending on Sat and Sun. I went in 2018 and it was a blast. Would be even better if our team won it, or at least made it to Sunday.

The conference tournament is much maligned but conference title games are the few sporting events anymore that really give me goosebumps. At least until tipoff.

Are you still going on Saturday and Sunday after what just happened with GW!! I'm interested to see what the attendance will be for these games, I expect VCU and Dayton will have a large number of fans at the Abe Pollin Center(apologies but I had to steal that term from the person on here who came up with it! lol) when they start playing tomorrow. 

3/10/2022 8:11 pm  #4

With GW and Mason gone, I suspect that per session attendance will be around 4,000. Had both advanced, that number might have "jumped" to 4,300 per session.
It seems that while the tournament may be too big for The Palestra, it is too small for the Smith Center...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/10/2022 8:11 pm)

3/10/2022 8:30 pm  #5

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

With GW and Mason gone, I suspect that per session attendance will be around 4,000. Had both advanced, that number might have "jumped" to 4,300 per session.
It seems that while the tournament may be too big for The Palestra, it is too small for the Smith Center...

I've said for a few years now that the Palestra would be the perfect venue for the A-10 tournament.  Ww would get national buzz every year and it's centrally located. 

Sadly $ talks and the conference must get more playing in 25% full NBA arenas.

3/11/2022 5:56 pm  #6

We may be a 1-bid league this year (the auto-bid) if Davidson wins the A-10 Tourney.
Possibly another team with either Dayton or VCU if they can both win tonight  with whoever earns the final match-up with Davidson. I think Davidson is in regardless of what happens to them from here.
I remember the days of 5-6 A-10 teams getting in with another 2 or 3 going to the NIT.

3/12/2022 7:56 pm  #7

Thomas wrote:

Are you still going on Saturday and Sunday after what just happened with GW!! I'm interested to see what the attendance will be for these games, I expect VCU and Dayton will have a large number of fans at the Abe Pollin Center(apologies but I had to steal that term from the person on here who came up with it! lol) when they start playing tomorrow. 

I planned to attend this weekend regardless of GW's performance. Had a great time today. I wore my Colonials sweatshirt, I probably saw 2-3 people wearing GW stuff. A sad reflection of our program.

I'd say attendance was probably around 8,000. The sidelines were full but the baselines were kind of empty. I love having the A-10 tournament at the APP. It's a great venue with an A+ location and it takes me 30 min door to door to get there. Nothing to complain about there.

The second game had a pretty electric atmosphere, especially yin the second half. How awesome would it be for GW to play in that? Of course, it's depressing that we're nowhere close to experiencing a A-10 semi. Oh well.

3/12/2022 8:24 pm  #8

Alum '04 wrote:

The second game had a pretty electric atmosphere, especially yin the second half. How awesome would it be for GW to play in that? Of course, it's depressing that we're nowhere close to experiencing a A-10 semi. Oh well.

It would be awesome. Instead we haven't won multiple games in the conference tournament since 2007.  

Last edited by GW0509 (3/12/2022 8:37 pm)

3/12/2022 9:18 pm  #9

Seems like Davidson has barely broken a sweat over two games but if Richmond should win, they will become the 7th different school in the past 7 A10 tournaments to be crowned the champion.  

If a tournament had been played the season before last during Toppin's special season and had the Flyers won that tournament, it would turn out to be 8 different schools in 8 different years (assuming a Richmond win).  As it stands, it is currently 6 different schools over the past six tournaments and I wonder if there is another conference in America who has ever had 6 different champions in 6 straight tournaments?.  

Dayton has won it one time, in 2003, at their home arena.  So if you're keeping score, that's GW: 2 A10 Championships, Dayton: 1 A10 Championship.

The last time that the MVP of the A10 Tournament was awarded to someone who did not play on the championship team came during GW's first A10 Championship in 2004-2005.  GW beat St. Joe's for the title and Pat Carroll took home the award.

Real tough break today for Smith and Dayton though I was not fully convinced that they were in with a win today.  It's disingenuous for The Dude to write this about Dayton:

Yes, they get off to a brutal OCC at first (rookies and transfers, sound familiar? who ever would have guessed it takes new player awhile to gel)  so there's that. 

when Dayton defeated Miami, Kansas and Belmont literally one week after losing to Lipscomb, UMASS-Lowell and Austin Peay.  (His comment was obviously yet another passive-aggressive dig at GW fans who have been impatient about GW's starts under JC, which now stands at three season's worth of some really bad losses and features what can only be described as unthinkable when grouped as a whole under any coach from Jarvis through Lonergan.)  Throw in the late La Salle loss and that's just a tremendous amount for any  midmajor to overcome.  Meanwhile, stranger things have happened than if VCU were to hear its name called tomorrow.  Some bracketologists had the Rams ahead of the Flyers entering the conference tournament while others had Dayton in front.  Both end up losing to Richmond this weekend, but VCU does not have the high number of bad losses that Dayton has, plus it has a sterling road record.  The committee is more prone to look at the Quad records for seeding purposes as opposed to determining who gets in, so if road wins are deemed important, VCU has wins at Vandy, at Old Dominion, at Davidson, at Dayton and at Richmond.  Not to mention a neutral court win over Syracuse and home wins against tournament bound St. Peter's and Chattanooga.  I would not bet the mortgage on this, but don't be shocked if VCU hears its name get called.

3/12/2022 9:44 pm  #10

GW0509 wrote:

Alum '04 wrote:

It would be awesome. Instead we haven't won multiple games in the conference tournament since 2007.  

That's as sobering as it can get. After winning the A10 championship in 2007, Karl Hobbs (final 4 years), Mike Lonergan (all 5 years), Maurice Joseph (all 3 years) and Jamion Christian (all 2 or 3 years since we actually played and lost in 2020 before the tourney was cancelled) all failed to lead GW to more than 1 win in the A10 tourney. And that's without addressing the fact that we didn't even qualify to play in the tourney every year. That failure encompassed 3 different AD's. Perhaps the failings are a product of the school's lack of support for the program - whether in terms of facilities, direct financial resources, or academic flexibility in the current environment - rather than indifference or unsuitability of its coaches or administrators. It's OK to be upset with the handcuffing of Hobbs' recruiting options, or Lonergan's failure to make the NCAA's in the NIT championship year with 3 players who played in the NBA, or Joseph's ill-advised and premature ascension to the HC job, or Christian's failure to meet everyone's high (or even moderate) expectations for program turnaround. It's OK to make or accept explanations for what befell us in all those years. The one common thread in this underachievement is The George Washington University. The President? The Treasurer? The Faculty? The students? They all change too. Just let me know when the season starts. No way Lucy pulls that ball on me again.

Board footera