GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2022 4:18 pm  #1

A10 Coaching Carousel

It begins...

Jeff Borzello  @jeffborzello 1m 
UMass has made the decision to part ways with head coach Matt McCall after five seasons, sources told me and @PeteThamel. McCall will coach against Fordham tomorrow and, at this point, is expected to finish out the season. Minutemen currently 12-16 overall, 5-11 in the A-10.

3/01/2022 5:10 pm  #2

Re: A10 Coaching Carousel

Unfortunately for us, we have another 2 years to wait!

3/07/2022 9:54 pm  #3

@blauds
Sources:  UMass said to be closing in on hiring UConn associate head coach Kimani Young. Nothing official yet, but barring snags it could be done in next few days.

3/07/2022 9:58 pm  #4

Let's not give UMass any opportunity to win one for the coach.  We have to jump out and keep the pressure on all game long.

3/11/2022 9:35 am  #5

Rhode Island fires David Cox

3/11/2022 9:56 am  #6

GW0509 wrote:

Rhode Island fires David Cox

Hi Jared Grasso!

3/11/2022 10:32 am  #7

3/11/2022 11:56 am  #8

3/11/2022 3:05 pm  #9

3/11/2022 3:13 pm  #10

Crean is available for any of the A10 vacancies

I could see it, he's going to have to take a step down in league after back to back Power 5 firings

3/12/2022 1:38 pm  #11

This isn't an A10 firing but I was just looking at George Mason's board and there are unsubstantiated rumors(from twitter/social media!! LOL) saying that Kim English could be a coaching candidate for Missouri, who fired Cuonzo Martin a few days ago. K.English was an outstanding player for Missouri about 10 years ago so their fan base would be excited for the hire. What's interesting about Kim English is, he's been pegged as 'The Chosen One' in the coaching ranks for a few years now(he was even mentioned as a candidate for the Maryland job immediately after they fired Turgeon) but I don't think he won enough(George Mason finished 9th and lost its opening round game to Fordham!!) this year to justify a move to a BCS school at this point. This is something to watch though because if enough guys turn down the Missouri job or some boosters push for Kim English, he could get the job. I believe the current VCU coach was way below .500 at a mid-major but since he was Shaka Smart's assistant during the glory days they hired him to replace Will Wade because the boosters/alums wanted him. 

Last edited by Thomas (3/12/2022 2:22 pm)

3/12/2022 2:04 pm  #12

Kim English has been at Mason for 1 year, and he inherited Oduro and some pretty good talent. Seems impossible to think he'd be a coveted Power 5 even at Missouri with his connections

How many great players went on to be great coaches?

Thomas, I was serious, as you can see about Crean's name coming up in the A10 vacancy conversations. Maybe after a 6-26 1-17 season and back to back firings his market will be dried up but the name will at least come up

I would have stayed the course with McCall, things were trending up in 2020 and 2021, down this year but you could see in the A10 Tourney how things could look.  

WHO HAS WON at UMASS this century?? they have 1 tourney appearance in the 21st century, Matt McCall is a good Coach, outside of the Calipari/Bruiser run just not an easy place to win

Even worse at Rhode Island which makes you appreciate what Hurley did there.  Little surprise Hurley has UCONN back up in the heights so quickly

3/12/2022 2:54 pm  #13

You're right, UMass probably jumped the gun when they fired McCall, maybe the Tre Mitchell/Woodstock Academy high school coach fiasco caused UMass to take drastic actions. UMass somewhat "sold their soul" by hiring the Woodstock Academy high school coach as an assistant who brought in a bunch of his former players, once that assistant left and some of his former players transferred out, UMass decided McCall also had to leave. I'm interested to see if Fernandes and TJ Weeks will return. 

About Kim English, according to Mason's board, Kansas State could also pursue Kim English. It looks like K.English is held in high regard even though his 1st year at George Mason can be viewed as a disappointment. Keeping Oduro was a huge move for K.English, I believe Oduro put his name into the transfer portal, he also brought in 3 high impact transfers. Some Mason fans seem to think they are in a good position here because K.English didn't win enough this year to justify a BCS job in his 1st year, but he'll soon have Mason amongst the elite in the A10, which will leave them in a good situation for the next coach. 

I mentioned in another thread that Tom Crean may be a candidate for the Rhode Island and/or UMass jobs. Despite the dismal record at Georgia, he can sell the 2003 Final 4 run, Dwayne Wade and Anthony Edwards to the fans and recruits!! He may have recruited Victor Oladipo too. He'd probably have similar success to Anthony Grant and Travis Ford who also got fired from BCS schools. Cuonzo Martin is the fired BCS coach I'd want in the A10 just because of the talent he'd bring in. 

3/12/2022 3:24 pm  #14

Will Wade out at LSU - lots of smoke and fire with recruiting.  Usually a leapord does not change its spots - if they looked hard enough at VCU they may find more - but no money or news in that.

3/12/2022 3:28 pm  #15

Thomas a bit of a tougher sell for Crean, what's the market for a guy coming of a 6-26 1-17 season and back to back firings? and yet, his name will at least come up.

Tom Crean with the 1st pick in the NBA draft, and Nick Claxton, and yet ends up at Georgia like his 2009 Indiana season, 1-17, amazing stuff.

Also, his McCall's UMASS team look very inspired to send off McCall a winner they had Dayotn on the ropes for 39 minutes, Crean was sent off with a 35 point playin loss!! 

3/12/2022 4:05 pm  #16

PKGW,  it seems as if Will Wade has had cheating allegations against him from the moment he took the LSU job several years back. I'm surprised that it took this long before he got fired. LSU is projected as a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, so they won't even let Wade coach in the NCAA tournament. Maybe W.Wade got careless with the cheating when he got to Baton Rouge!! People only accused VCU of cheating when they commit a bunch of fouls and pass it off as "havoc" defense, not off the court!!

The Dude,  I forgot about Nick Claxton(now on the Brooklyn Nets), Crean certainly did have 2 NBA players on a Georgia team that was terrible!! Kentucky's starting point guard Wheeler also played for Crean at Georgia. I'm guessing Crean will always be able to sell the fact that he recruited/coached NBA players no matter how bad his record is especially if he has a good relationship with those players. On a somewhat similar note, former Georgetown player/Miami Heat center Omer Yurtseven actually tweeted his full support for Patrick Ewing after Georgetown ended its Big East season 0-19!! Now that's some loyalty!! LOL

3/12/2022 4:11 pm  #17

Thomas, also KD Johnson who is starring for a great Auburn team, also Toumani Camara who left Crean after a really good year for Dayton!!

Speaking of Dayton, looking good so far vs Richmond. DaRon Holmes looks like an NBA 1st round pick, hopefully he comes back 1 more year 

3/13/2022 3:01 pm  #18

1. Wonder what the win does for Mooney's job security?  Gotta think there's no way he leaves now.

2.  Saw a funny joke on Twitter that Will Wade now has more NCAA Tier 1 violations (5) than NCAA tournament wins (which is a surprisingly low 2).

3.  Technically counts as an A10 coaching carousel that current La Salle Assistant and former Penn State coach Pat Chambers is being reportedly hired as the next head coach at Florida Gulf Coast.  Crazy considering that it was only two years ago he was forced to resign amid allegations of both verbal and physical abuse.  

Last edited by GW0509 (3/13/2022 3:04 pm)

Board footera