GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2022 2:15 pm  #1

Richmond To the Dance!

Richmond pulls it out, The A10 will send at least 2

Congrats to Mojo and Richmond

Now we wait to see if a 3rd or more gets a bid.  

3/13/2022 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Richmond To the Dance!

Lunardi has Dayton, VCU, and St. Louis in the next four out. It’s looking like a two bid league this year.

3/13/2022 2:33 pm  #3

A beautifully played, textbook game.  Great defense and shot selections by both teams.  Give me a fundamentally solid team over an athletic team any day of the week.   Hope the Colonials, including the coach, were watching.  There was a lot to learn.   

3/13/2022 3:20 pm  #4

The Dude wrote:

Didn't realize Mojo was at UR. Good for him.

3/13/2022 3:31 pm  #5

Both teams went pretty cold from outside in the second half, Davidson just happened to do it later than UR. UR then got success down low and was getting fouls with them as well. On the other hand, Davidson insisted on shooting from outside. Didn't get that.

Loyer messed up on his final shot. He rushed it and he knew it. Should have passed it.

3/13/2022 4:19 pm  #6

Agree with LSF. Winning basketball is played with pace and tempo. Both teams held leads. Neither team took 40 foot three pointers while nursing the lead. In contrast, to GW play. Both teams took the ball inbounds with set plays. After watching GW put the excitement into the inbounds play, I did not know this was possible. GW is years away , and one new coach from competing with either Davidson or Richmond.

3/13/2022 4:22 pm  #7

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

A beautifully played, textbook game.  Great defense and shot selections by both teams.  Give me a fundamentally solid team over an athletic team any day of the week.   Hope the Colonials, including the coach, were watching.  There was a lot to learn.   

Exactly. How they beat us, too.

3/13/2022 4:38 pm  #8

By the way neither Richmond or Davidson have the highest paid coaches or budgets in the A10. The right coach with the right system  can win at our level. Lesson to learn here.

Last edited by 2twooed (3/13/2022 4:47 pm)

3/13/2022 4:46 pm  #9

One thing about Richmond.  Much stronger student involvement in the program.  Visited the school with my son and several students mentioned how attending basketball games is a big part of the student culture.  Not the same at GW at all.  Wonder if tours even mention the athletics

3/13/2022 5:02 pm  #10

PKGW wrote:

One thing about Richmond. Much stronger student involvement in the program. Visited the school with my son and several students mentioned how attending basketball games is a big part of the student culture. Not the same at GW at all. Wonder if tours even mention the athletics

Big alumni involvement too.  Even if summer 2016 didn't go down like it did, I doubt we could get enough donations to cover something like this.  We couldn't even get chartered flights for the team. 
https://richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-richmond/university-of-richmond-set-to-build-15-million-basketball-training-and-performance-facility/article_2a56e50a-4fb6-5caa-87ce-b8fd3fbb3df4.html

3/13/2022 6:10 pm  #11

Alum '04 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Didn't realize Mojo was at UR. Good for him.

Yeah, Richmond, for Mojo.  With a trip to the dance, Mojo could be on the radar for some smaller school gigs.  Either way, good to see and great to see them in the Dance for the A10.

BRUTAL 5 vs 12 game though vs Iowa, the team you least want to play right now, yikes.  

Davidson got a pretty favorable 7 vs 10 game IMO

3/14/2022 9:50 am  #12

Congratulations to Richmond.  It's a great story to come very close to failing to meet expectations and then to have this core group finally make the dance.  Chris Mooney seems like a good guy and am also happy for MoJo as well.  Am happy for everyone except those responsible for organizing and paying for a Fire Mooney highway sign.  I didn't think it was funny or cute to publicly ridicule someone because his teams did not win enough.  I wish there was a way to identify those folks and ban them from all Spider games as long as Mooney is the coach.   

At the same time, I felt for the Davidson program who I thought quite honestly were badly hosed by the officials.  The Wildcats were up 6 with under 90 seconds left when Richmond was the recipient of three consecutive "and one's" resulting in 9 points.  I could easily argue that two of the three calls were bogus and perhaps make the case that all three calls were bad.  You never like to see the refs insert themselves to help decide a game but quite honestly, these were A10 refs who had to be aware that a Davidson win could realistically mean only 1 A10 team getting in.  Not much will be said about this since Davidson is also dancing (and would likely have had the same #10 seed even if they had won).  Just felt bad for those kids who certainly played as if an A10 Championship was important to them.

3/14/2022 11:37 am  #13

Generally better to keep your Head Coach

Teams like Richmond that did during a down stretch tend to reap the reward.  Perseverance and continuity matter

Gilyard and Golden go out as champs after staying, surely they had offers to bolt

Board footera