GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2022 11:42 am  #1

Jamion Christian is out at George Washington, sources told ESPN.

See ya

3/14/2022 11:45 am  #2

3/14/2022 11:46 am  #3

Re: Jamion Christian is out at George Washington, sources told ESPN.

Truly unbelievable.

Here’s to an entire roster of new guys next year!

I guess everyone got what they wanted.

3/14/2022 11:47 am  #4

I'm guessing getting boat raced by an already-fired coach and UMass was the coup de grâce  

3/14/2022 11:51 am  #5

I'm shocked by this. My inclination wa that JC needed and deserved at least one more year. I guess we don't know what we thought we knew about GW's willingness to pay $.  The sad end is that we will probably see the departure of some players I know I have really grown to like as people. 

3/14/2022 11:54 am  #6

Well this certainly seems legitimate unless Twitter was hacked. This stuff is done by leaks.
Wonder if it is the interim president.
Thanks to Steve Urkel for spotting this major GW basketball development.

3/14/2022 11:59 am  #7

Wow! That certainly flies in the face of the narrative many have wanted to push here. Seems an itchy trigger finger on Vogel´s part, if true. I certainly was expecting a 4th year, even if the first three had not done wonders for my blood pressure or optimistic outlook on life. Was something going on behind-the-scenes we don´t know about?

3/14/2022 11:59 am  #8

Shocked, didn't think it would happen this year.

3/14/2022 12:09 pm  #9

Shocked. AD should have preceded him IMO.

3/14/2022 12:11 pm  #10

Mike K wrote:

Shocked, didn't think it would happen this year.

Mike,

I didn't think it would happen this year, but thought it should.  I'm guessing a lot of people thought it should but it wouldn't until next year, prolonging the pain.  Would love to be fly on the wall in the discussions.  Is Vogel on solid ground?  Did she make the call or the new prez?  If prez, that means he cares about W/L which is a good thing.

Also,

SELL ONE OF THE MANY TOWNHOUSES THAY OWN AND HIRE BECKER!

3/14/2022 12:14 pm  #11

There was so much stacked against this decision: a tight budget, an interim President, an AD who hired JC as her first signature hire, the general trend of not firing coaches after three years, a team that showed improvement and had solid pieces in the 3 Bs, the start of the transfer portal sweepstakes.

Still stunned.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/14/2022 12:14 pm)

3/14/2022 12:14 pm  #12

BM wrote:

SELL ONE OF THE MANY TOWNHOUSES THAY OWN AND HIRE BECKER!

The source is questionable, but a certain former GW coach believes this would never happen. Becker can go anywhere. The logic is he won't go to a known burial ground for former Catamount coaches.

Also, I'm never a fan, in any sport, of just axing your coach or manager without a solid candidate in place. But I doubt that's the case here and, as with everything GW admin, we will likely never know the full story. 

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/14/2022 12:19 pm)

3/14/2022 12:22 pm  #13

Mentz,

Vogel said at JC's intro event that she'd had him in mind for a while.  That didn't work out that well.  Maybe they'll actually do a real search this time.

3/14/2022 12:34 pm  #14

I'm also shocked at the news after 3 years. Yes we had periods where we looked awful but we also had a solid 1-2 months where we looked like a team that was improving. The final 4 games of the year we backtracked but you could see the foundation with Joe, Bishop, and Brayon. I fully expect we'll see Brayon, Nixon, and probably others transfer out.

3/14/2022 12:35 pm  #15

Let the NEW 5 year plan commence ... 

3/14/2022 12:48 pm  #16

Holy crap!    All credit to Tanya Vogel and the administration.

I thought there’s no way this would happen this year, but maybe they all learned something after giving Mojo the extra year even when it was obvious it wouldn’t work out.

JC is a truly terrific person, but he’s had three years and hadn’t been able to coach the team to even a top 200 finish.  I was fully on board with his hire, and still harbored hope before this year, but he clearly was not the coach to lead us back to he heights we expect.

Hopefully we get it right next time.

3/14/2022 12:51 pm  #17

Anyone think there is more to the change than wins and losses?

3/14/2022 12:52 pm  #18

BM wrote:

Mentz,

Vogel said at JC's intro event that she'd had him in mind for a while.  That didn't work out that well.  Maybe they'll actually do a real search this time.

Agreed.
Also saw something in that umASS article you posted there's possibly some scandal stuff hovering around Becker at UVM. 

3/14/2022 12:54 pm  #19

Here's the complete Wikipedia list of current D1 coaches. GW's post already listed as vacant.

3/14/2022 1:04 pm  #20

OK, so TV gave us a 2-3 week time frame for the "national search."  How long was the previous "national search"????  

Board footera