GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2022 1:04 pm  #21

Re: Jamion Christian is out at George Washington, sources told ESPN.

Many here will jump on the "later this month or early April" line to speculate wildly (and, yes, it does mean we cannot at this time rule out Mark Few-- even if that is as likely as massive election fraud having tilted the 2020 Presidental election results).
I think the real line to pounce on from this is "We need to continue to find ways to raise additional resources and provide the support necessary for our coaches and students to be successful on and off the court."  Seems to me the decision might not have been based solely on wins and losses.

3/14/2022 1:06 pm  #22

Background on the sexual assault allegation story against some Vermont basketball team players.  Not sure what Becker had to do with it from these notes.

https://www.rakevt.org/2022/03/12/uvm-basketball-silences-social-media-comments-after-sexual-assualt-allegations/

[Noting that the site says:  "We are pro-worker, anti-capitalist Vermonters building the first collectively-owned and -run media group to platform the voice of the local working class."]

Last edited by BM (3/14/2022 1:08 pm)

3/14/2022 1:12 pm  #23

BM wrote:

Background on the sexual assault allegation story against some Vermont basketball team players.  Not sure what Becker had to do with it from these notes.

https://www.rakevt.org/2022/03/12/uvm-basketball-silences-social-media-comments-after-sexual-assualt-allegations/

This should probably go in another thread but the gist of the knock on Becker is that he did nothing to discipline players facing sexual misconduct allegations as part of a wider culture of allowing too much leeway to the men´s basketball team (kind of a mini-Ed Obregon situation).

3/14/2022 1:12 pm  #24

People have always discussed a buyout of JC's contract, and that was the prohibiting factor.  But don't contracts have performance clauses so JC could be cut loose early if he didn't hit a certain W-L  percentage?  Hard to know I guess.

But I think this is the right move for GW.  When a coach is struggling so bad from the bench on the X's and O's, how can you expect that to dramatically improve?  Hire an Asst?  You need the head coach to have command of what's happening on the court.  JC just didn't have that.

The bigger question is who will be the next coach?  Maybe they have a candidate in mind.

3/14/2022 1:29 pm  #25

Pretty friggin stunned.  Guess I'll put my petition to ban a certain poster on hold for a little while.

No, I did not think this was going to happen in a million years.  Am stunned beyond belief.  It's a sad day because Jamion is as likable as they come.  He's exactly the type of coach who you really want to see succeed.  I feel very bad that it did not work out for him.

Nevertheless, there were enough red flags out there that at the very least were causes for concern.

What happened with Nima that he was released so suddenly when all reports seemed to indicate that he was a recruiting star?

Gapare had a change of heart.

Where was Coach Devlin this season?  Someone mentioned that he was on the bench, wearing new glasses, but the person being referred to was not Coach Devlin.

Failed to land Darren Buchanan, the top recruiting target.

Initially underestimated the caliber of player needed to be successful in the A10, which explains why so many MSM/Siena recruits eventually joined him at GW. 

And then there was the matter of coaching.  No need to rehash.  There were complaints here throughout JC's three seasons.  Even in his final game at GW, a lame duck coach (who I'd love to see be considered) very clearly outcoached JC.  In its most important game of the season, GW looked woefully unprepared.

Interesting that this comes on the heels of Joe Dooley being terminated.  While there are PR benefits for bringing in a former Colonial, I truly hope the search firm does its job and that the best candidate GW can afford is ultimately selected.  The dubious take on Dooley is that while he was a great national recruiter for Bill Self at Kansas, does this translate well towards the situation he would be faced with at GW?

I'd say that JC was brought in 3 years ago to get rid of the stench that surrounded this program.  That hasn't happened anywhere near the level which had been hoped.  Attendance is dismal.  Donations are way down.  What's happened is that above all else, apathy has set in.  Not nearly enough people care about this program anymore.  While we may have always been challenged to fill a 5,000 seat arena consistently, things were not always as bad as they are right now either.  My sense is that TV felt that bringing in a charismatic coach who knew how to connect with his players would be what was needed.  It wasn't in and of itself.  As it is said, winning cures everything.   X's and O's do count, quite a bit in fact.

3/14/2022 1:30 pm  #26

Mike K wrote:

OK, so TV gave us a 2-3 week time frame for the "national search."  How long was the previous "national search"????  

1 week.  Actually, six days I believe.

3/14/2022 1:32 pm  #27

Mike K wrote:

OK, so TV gave us a 2-3 week time frame for the "national search."  How long was the previous "national search"????  

Seems right to me. Did you see how fast Georgia moved? I'm more concerned about resources moving forward and if the Transition President is paying attention. At best his questions raised the question. I say that because the best transition leaders question operating assumptions and practice.

Nothing's a lock, but in light of the post-NIT chain of events I regard this announcement as a positive.

3/14/2022 1:33 pm  #28

As always, Mike Hall nails it.

From his Twitter:
I will never root for anyone to lose their job…we all have families and are all in this business because it’s our dream. Coach was cordial with me and, just because his plan didn’t work at GW, doesn’t mean it won’t somewhere else. Good luck, JC

GW is a very unique job in that it 100% is not a sports school but your success is measured against schools that take hoops SERIOUSLY. You can’t “outrecruit” the big schools locally and because of restrictions, academic or otherwise, other A10 schools have an easier path as well

I hope whoever is next in line has a keen eye for hidden gems and a great recruiting network because there’s a passionate fan base dying to support the Colonials and a city full of basketball fans that will pack the Smith Center…if the product is good #RaiseHigh

3/14/2022 1:41 pm  #29

This is only a good move to me if it signals that GW is finally serious about bringing in a quality coach. Unfortunately, I suspect that instead, GW will hire another young coach they can get on the cheap, thereby putting our program back to square one yet again. I sincerely hope I am wrong...

3/14/2022 1:46 pm  #30

Get ready to add another 5 years to our current 7 year re-build.
Tanya Vogel is the one that needs to go. We are just going to get another .500% low major coach or a BCS asst whose team wants him gone and will hype him like the next Shaka Smart.

Lets be realist here - Becker is not coming to GW - with our reputation on how we handled the ML situation, how we handled the JC situation, and how Tanya (Nero's walk partner and mentee) is part of the decision making process, nobody with half a brain is coming here.

I'm now convinced JC had a 3 year deal (like Mojo). You can get away with that when you can't hire "in-demand" coaches.

With Tanya still in control and an apathetic administration that will give her free reign, we are in for a very long period of SUCK. I hope the Patriot League will still take us!

3/14/2022 1:51 pm  #31

I'm absolutely shocked. I thought he'd get another year. The worst part about this is that Brayon and maybe Joe are gone, which absolutely sucks. We will absolutely regret letting Brayon walk. I'm curious to see who they bring in but it seems clear to me that Vogel is in over her head. Someone said she should have gone before JC and I completely agree with that.

I thought he deserved another year, but I also realize my standards for this program are lower than those of you who have been fans for longer than me. Ultimately it just starts the rebuilding process over again which is really frustrating.

3/14/2022 1:52 pm  #32

Mentzinger wrote:

Shocked. AD should have preceded him IMO.

I could not agree more. Having presided over a absolute six year stink show she finally took decisive action???  Methinks this was a classic head-fake to buy herself some time. What has she done to deserve another shot at picking the next coach?

Last edited by Alum1 (3/14/2022 2:10 pm)

3/14/2022 1:59 pm  #33

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I'm absolutely shocked. I thought he'd get another year. The worst part about this is that Brayon and maybe Joe are gone, which absolutely sucks. We will absolutely regret letting Brayon walk. I'm curious to see who they bring in but it seems clear to me that Vogel is in over her head. Someone said she should have gone before JC and I completely agree with that.

I thought he deserved another year, but I also realize my standards for this program are lower than those of you who have been fans for longer than me. Ultimately it just starts the rebuilding process over again which is really frustrating.

As an old timer, I can say that hiring a coach to keep a player never works.

I remember people freaking out about firing Hobbs because it cost us prized recruit Erik Copes - who turned out to absolutely suck (landed at Mason and did nothing for them.  Lots of other examples too around the country.

That said, it’s no given they transfer.  Brayon came here because he wanted to be in DC and play in front of his his (very) supportive family and friends.  To be sure, he seems to have loved JC (who was clearly a player’s coach), but perhaps an exciting new hire can convince him to stay here near his family.

As for Joe, he could transfer, but he would have to sit out a year and by all indications he loves it at GW.  Both Brayon and Joe are guys any coach would love to have to rebuild around, so I’m sure trying to retain them will be item 1 for the new staff.

3/14/2022 2:08 pm  #34

Good afternoon,

Earlier today, I informed our men’s basketball coaching staff that I am making a change and they will not be returning. I want to thank Jamion Christian and his entire staff for leading GW men’s basketball through some of the most challenging years that we have collectively faced. Jamion brought his relentless optimism to Foggy Bottom in 2019 and it never wavered during the pandemic and throughout the other challenges that he and the team faced.

We know that GW men’s basketball is one of the most prominent and visible programs in our department. It is critical that we find ways to return our program to a place of competitive excellence within the Atlantic 10 and nationally. I also know that this is not just about our coaches. We need to continue to find ways to raise additional resources and provide the support necessary for our coaches and students to be successful on and off the court. We appreciate all that you have done to help us financially and with fan support along the way, and I look forward to working with the University to further strengthen our support for GW men’s basketball.

I have engaged with Parker Executive Search to assist with our national search for the next head coach. The GW men’s basketball program will attract incredible candidates and I look forward to introducing our next head coach to you later this month or early April.

Thank you again for your support as we work to find the next head coach of GW men’s basketball.

Best,

Tanya Vogel
Director of Athletics

Last edited by BM (3/14/2022 2:34 pm)

3/14/2022 2:24 pm  #35

GW0509 wrote:

As always, Mike Hall nails it.

Yup. And if you witnessed the sermon he gave the bench in Greensboro down 20 to UNCW in the second half of the only GW tournament win in 30 years, you'd want him to be in the mix for the new staff.  

3/14/2022 2:26 pm  #36

I agree with all of you, Jamion Christian getting fired is shocking because everyone seemed to agree that GW was too cheap to fire him with years left on his contract. It definitely shows Tanya Vogel(or whoever made this decision) is serious about turning this around and wasn't going to accept finishing in the bottom half of the A10 every year.

About the 3 B's...Bamisile, Bishop and Brayon, its now likely that all of them will leave and GW will have to start from scratch again but the transfer portal makes rebuilding a lot easier, in my opinion, especially if the next coach has strong BCS ties because he played and/or coached at one.  

I don't think there is any chance that Becker would leave Vermont for GW. First, it appears as if he's still very close with ML and may not think highly of GW. Second, he's done enough at Vermont to leapfrog an A10 job and go to a BCS school. 

3/14/2022 2:38 pm  #37

Free Quebec wrote:

Holy crap! All credit to Tanya Vogel and the administration.

I thought there’s no way this would happen this year, but maybe they all learned something after giving Mojo the extra year even when it was obvious it wouldn’t work out.

JC is a truly terrific person, but he’s had three years and hadn’t been able to coach the team to even a top 200 finish. I was fully on board with his hire, and still harbored hope before this year, but he clearly was not the coach to lead us back to he heights we expect.

Hopefully we get it right next time.

Exoresses ny feelings exactly.  For me, particularly telling was the  UMass debacle.   We are a team with 2 of the top 18 players in the conference (based upon all conference selections) and one of the top frosh in the conference, yet we were blown out by lower seed UMass, playing in DC.   We were completely unprepared for what hit us coming out of the gate and completely unable to adjust to get back in the game.  But it just wasn't this game.   So many games we seemed overmatched by lesser teams both at the start of the game and at halftime.  So many times we completely lost our composure under a hot stretch by the opponant.   Further, other than Bishop, Bamisile, Freeman and (maybe) Lindo, our recruiting, both of transfers and freshman, just didn't seem to work out.  In addition, even forgetting the talent level for a second, if you would count up the ganes we lost that we should have won and the games we won that we should have lost, I suspect the former is much higher.   Good for Tonya.  Good for GW.  Now lets keep our fingers crossed that we can hold onto those few players that have worked out for us,   I am now officially looking forward to the start of next season.

3/14/2022 2:44 pm  #38

DC Native wrote:

This is only a good move to me if it signals that GW is finally serious about bringing in a quality coach. Unfortunately, I suspect that instead, GW will hire another young coach they can get on the cheap, thereby putting our program back to square one yet again. I sincerely hope I am wrong...

The reason I disagree with this post is that if GW was motivated solely by the finances, they would not have fired Christian, as now they will be paying two coaches rather than one.   

3/14/2022 2:48 pm  #39

Never like to see someone lose a job and JC was a nice person.  But hard decisions need to be made and it was obvious his game planning and in game adjustments were not at the A-10 level.

Wish him the best and hope he has success wherever he lands.

As Davidson and Richmond display, a sound coaching plan and players that buy into the plan is essential to success of a school like GW.  At times, it seemed like the coach was content to let them play even when they obviously made poor decisions or did not play defense as energetically as necessary.  It will be interesting to see who the search firm recommends

3/14/2022 2:52 pm  #40

Interesting. But I agree with PKGW. 

Board footera