GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2022 2:53 pm  #41

Re: Jamion Christian is out at George Washington, sources told ESPN.

GW0509 wrote:

As always, Mike Hall nails it.

From his Twitter:
I will never root for anyone to lose their job…we all have families and are all in this business because it’s our dream. Coach was cordial with me and, just because his plan didn’t work at GW, doesn’t mean it won’t somewhere else. Good luck, JC

GW is a very unique job in that it 100% is not a sports school but your success is measured against schools that take hoops SERIOUSLY. You can’t “outrecruit” the big schools locally and because of restrictions, academic or otherwise, other A10 schools have an easier path as well

I hope whoever is next in line has a keen eye for hidden gems and a great recruiting network because there’s a passionate fan base dying to support the Colonials and a city full of basketball fans that will pack the Smith Center…if the product is good #RaiseHigh

Mike Hall is incredibly gracious given the circumstances.
If we were to take a flier --if GW was considering that route--on someone with no college coaching experience, but a good amount evaluating talent, we could try Pops and Mike as an assistant. Charismatic with pro experience.

3/14/2022 2:57 pm  #42

Lots of unknowns here.

Did JC have a 3, 4 or 5-year contract?
Does anyone know for sure?
Does anyone know if there is more to JC's exit than his failure turn the program around?

3/14/2022 2:59 pm  #43

JC had a 5 year deal.  

3/14/2022 3:00 pm  #44

He will be leaving without us ever having really seen the havoc style "mayhem" that was promised us at GW.

3/14/2022 3:00 pm  #45

He had a 5 year contract. There was nothing else in the decision other than performance on the court.

3/14/2022 3:04 pm  #46

GW73 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is more to JC's exit than his failure turn the program around?

You almost have to think so, given our history, a slight uptick year, and all the other realities we have talked about here for months. And if he had a 5-year deal, even more probable.

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/14/2022 3:04 pm)

3/14/2022 3:06 pm  #47

2twooed wrote:

He had a 5 year contract. There was nothing else in the decision other than performance on the court.

That said. It's Impressive. Great to see GW administration was smart enough to realize the program was a mess and willing to make the change. Thankfully, we didn't have to sit through one or two  more dreadful seasons like UMass fans. Now let's get it right on the new coach. 

3/14/2022 3:12 pm  #48

I just checked @CoachingChanges twitter site and the couple of tweets they've posted about this were actually positive, some of you may recall that they didn't like how Nima and GW parted ways. They have multiple people who have access to the account so the guy who doesn't like JC(or GW) may not have posted yet.  

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1503413112766038018

3/14/2022 3:14 pm  #49

Thomas wrote:

I just checked @CoachingChanges twitter site and the couple of tweets they've posted about this were actually positive, some of you may recall that they didn't like how Nima and GW parted ways. They have multiple people who have access to the account so the guy who doesn't like JC(or GW) may not have posted yet.  

This Tweet inanely bashes GW.

3/14/2022 3:18 pm  #50

Free Quebec wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I'm absolutely shocked. I thought he'd get another year. The worst part about this is that Brayon and maybe Joe are gone, which absolutely sucks. We will absolutely regret letting Brayon walk. I'm curious to see who they bring in but it seems clear to me that Vogel is in over her head. Someone said she should have gone before JC and I completely agree with that.

I thought he deserved another year, but I also realize my standards for this program are lower than those of you who have been fans for longer than me. Ultimately it just starts the rebuilding process over again which is really frustrating.

As an old timer, I can say that hiring a coach to keep a player never works.

I remember people freaking out about firing Hobbs because it cost us prized recruit Erik Copes - who turned out to absolutely suck (landed at Mason and did nothing for them. Lots of other examples too around the country.

That said, it’s no given they transfer. Brayon came here because he wanted to be in DC and play in front of his his (very) supportive family and friends. To be sure, he seems to have loved JC (who was clearly a player’s coach), but perhaps an exciting new hire can convince him to stay here near his family.

As for Joe, he could transfer, but he would have to sit out a year and by all indications he loves it at GW. Both Brayon and Joe are guys any coach would love to have to rebuild around, so I’m sure trying to retain them will be item 1 for the new staff.

Right you are Free. Never pick the player over the coach at GW. I certainly remember Mr. Copes.

Last edited by FredD (3/14/2022 3:20 pm)

3/14/2022 3:21 pm  #51

Thomas wrote:

Nope - he posted something else that has since been deleted. And it was not positive at all and leans the way of what others posted in this thread (about something *else* going on that may have led to today's decision)

3/14/2022 3:23 pm  #52

Roost_97 wrote:

Let the NEW 5 year plan commence ... 

Certainly understand the setntiment.  On the other hand, a pretty good argument can be made that if we retain our 3 stars, bolster the front cout and a solid defender, this, along with a new coach, may be enough to make us competitive in year one.  

3/14/2022 3:23 pm  #53

A sharp contrast to a certain someone else who has not landed on his feet, after not treating people well, 6 years later.

[color=inherit]Coaching Changes[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges]@CoachingChanges·3h Not shocking. He'll land on his feet. He just didn't win enough, but he still has a good overall head coaching track record and a good reputation for treating people well. Good luck with the next chapter, Jamion!

Last edited by The Dude (3/14/2022 3:24 pm)

3/14/2022 3:24 pm  #54

Interesting timing on the firing. Last week you commit to play in Diamond Head Classic. On Friday there was going to be a major announcement of a legit recruit. It would not surprise me to see the legitimate players to all enter the portal. The next hire needs to be quick and an established winner. Parker helped in the last search and the final 3 were all underwhelming. I personally have zero confidence that the AD will right the course once again. Another depressing 5 years on the horizon.

3/14/2022 3:25 pm  #55

Also, since Brayon--the one that concerns me the most, given that he is a freshman-- would have to sit a year, why would he leave as a given? Obviously, a higher school, but he's just starting here.
  And frankly, if one recalls, one of the JC things, is that Brayon didn't play a lot in the beginning, though the talent was there. In the first games, Brayon played 13,15,15,21,18 and 17 minutes before becoming a regular. But didn't it then take him awhile to start--even after playing decent minutes?
 Recall voices here were calling for that. Brayon earned it. Not that we are A-10 coaches, though there could be one or two here.
  Spotting and using talent he had was one major issue. But there's certainly a way for JC to use his enthusiasm somewhere else, in coaching in a different circumstance or in a profession more stable.

3/14/2022 3:49 pm  #56

Mentzinger wrote:

Thomas wrote:

This Tweet inanely bashes GW.

I probably worded it wrong, the previous posts from that site seemed to be from a person who didn't like JC and I assumed that person didn't like GW as a whole. You're right though, the tweet(s) indicates that JC got screwed and GW is in the wrong. 

3/14/2022 3:51 pm  #57

The Dude wrote:

A sharp contrast to a certain someone else who has not landed on his feet, after not treating people well, 6 years later.

[color=inherit]Coaching Changes[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges]@CoachingChanges·3h Not shocking. He'll land on his feet. He just didn't win enough, but he still has a good overall head coaching track record and a good reputation for treating people well. Good luck with the next chapter, Jamion!

You seriously picked this afternoon to take yet another unsolicited shot at Lonergan's expense?

I can not imagine a bigger asshole than you Dude.  Barry, why not ban him starting right now?

3/14/2022 3:52 pm  #58

jf wrote:

Also, since Brayon--the one that concerns me the most, given that he is a freshman-- would have to sit a year, why would he leave as a given? Obviously, a higher school, but he's just starting here.
  And frankly, if one recalls, one of the JC things, is that Brayon didn't play a lot in the beginning, though the talent was there. In the first games, Brayon played 13,15,15,21,18 and 17 minutes before becoming a regular. But didn't it then take him awhile to start--even after playing decent minutes?
 Recall voices here were calling for that. Brayon earned it. Not that we are A-10 coaches, though there could be one or two here.
  Spotting and using talent he had was one major issue. But there's certainly a way for JC to use his enthusiasm somewhere else, in coaching in a different circumstance or in a profession more stable.

Transfer rule changed a year ago. First-timer transfers don't have to sit out a year. That would apply to Freeman. Bishop and Bamisile, for example, would have to sit out a year because if they transfer it would be a second transfer for each of them.

3/14/2022 3:54 pm  #59

I think it's fair to wonder why now -- for all the many reasons we've enumerated here, including a 2-year buyout. But let's not pick that scab too hard. I'm pretty sick of this program bleeding and, frankly, given our track record, terrified what we might find out in addition to what we already know.

3/14/2022 4:04 pm  #60

Mentzinger wrote:

I think it's fair to wonder why now -- for all the many reasons we've enumerated here, including a 2-year buyout. But let's not pick that scab too hard. I'm pretty sick of this program bleeding and, frankly, given our track record, terrified what we might find out in addition to what we already know.

Agreed. At this point I'm not interested in the past, if someone tells us dispassionately about something in the past that might impact the future. Ideally, something that points to actual learning or improvement. (I know it is to laugh!)

Last edited by FredD (3/14/2022 5:26 pm)

Board footera