GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2022 2:17 pm  #21

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

I have no insight as to his level of readiness, but here's a name that might excite the fan base:

TJ Thompson

3/14/2022 2:31 pm  #22

Sampler of Parker Executive Search hires plus a couple of articles.

Kentucky - Billy Gillespie
Northern Kentucky - Darrin Horn 
Indiana - Kelvin Sampson, Archie Miller
American - Mike Brennan
Depaul - Dave Leitao
Missouri - Cuonzo Martin
Loyola (MD) - Tavares Hardy
Mississippi St - Rick Stansbury, Rick Ray

Search firms come under scrutiny after Rutgers flap

Need a coach? There's a firm for that

Last edited by BM (3/14/2022 2:32 pm)

3/14/2022 2:31 pm  #23

Poog wrote:

GW - Premium beer taste. Domestic beer money.

GW Fans - Champagne taste. Alligator arms reaching for wallet.

And the beat goes on.

More about connections and creativity. MJ, TP and ML were all great hires within our budget and culture. Pretty sure Kvancz could figure this out.

3/14/2022 4:34 pm  #24

Hiring a great young Coach (like BU's Mike Jarvis) doesn't take a lot of $ its about picking the right guy not the right wallet size

That Rutgers staff will be in some demand

Rutgers is no easy place to win, but being able to do it against the loaded competition in the Big10 is quite a feat by that staff

Mark Schmidt came from Robert Morris (15 years ago) he wasn't expensive just the right guy.  Not sure he'd make a lateral move though, why would he??

The last time a Coach Jumped from Wagner to The A10 worked out pretty well .... Danny Hurley To Rhode Island 

3/14/2022 7:47 pm  #25

Free Quebec wrote:

St Bonnie cupboard is completely bare - all 5 starters were seniors, and their bench played, literally, the fewest minutes in the country.

Mark Schmidt.

And if they hired JTIII, it might be the end of my season tickets. Hiring the spawn of Georgetown would be a slap in the face to all the loyal fans.

FQ has that exactly right. One way to screw up with the tens of remaining fans who have stuck with the program, implosion after implosion, would be to even interview the spawn again. Message to administration: don't even think about it.
  Don't know why the clown who wouldn't play us got his foot in the door last time.
  The good news is that if it is Tanya's ultimate decision, she didn't seem to be a fan of hiring him
last time.

3/14/2022 8:28 pm  #26

Any names being thrown around yet on Twitter or elsewhere?

GW Rising what do you hear

3/15/2022 7:26 am  #27

I hear a lot of names but not so sure what is smoke and what is real at this point ...

Jason Williford (UVA assistant)
Chris Caputo (U Miami assistant)
Dave Paulsen (Former Mason coach)
Matt Langel (Colgate)
Martin Inglesby (Delaware)
Duane Simpkins (Mason)
Mike Jones (VTech - DeMatha)
James Jones (Yale)
Ryan Odom (Utah State)
Mark Turgeon (Maryland)
Brandin Knight (Rutgers)
John Becker (Vermont)

Last edited by GWRising (3/15/2022 7:26 am)

3/15/2022 8:01 am  #28

GWRising wrote:

I hear a lot of names but not so sure what is smoke and what is real at this point ...

Jason Williford (UVA assistant)
Chris Caputo (U Miami assistant)
Dave Paulsen (Former Mason coach)
Matt Langel (Colgate)
Martin Inglesby (Delaware)
Duane Simpkins (Mason)
Mike Jones (VTech - DeMatha)
James Jones (Yale)
Ryan Odom (Utah State)
Mark Turgeon (Maryland)
Brandin Knight (Rutgers)
John Becker (Vermont)

Please not Paulsen.

3/15/2022 9:21 am  #29

Of that list, I'm most interested in Mike Jones, Ryan Odom and Becker.

3/15/2022 9:23 am  #30

Do you really think Becker would entertain coming here?  Just don't see this at all.  For very obvious reasons.

3/15/2022 9:26 am  #31

Gwmayhem wrote:

Do you really think Becker would entertain coming here?  Just don't see this at all.  For very obvious reasons.

Not saying any of these guys would come here. Just saying what's out there in coaching circles.

3/15/2022 9:27 am  #32

Mike Jones is intriguing .  Only in his first year as an assistant at Virginia Tech but was HC at DeMatha for 19 and definitely can recruit the DMV.  High risk/reward.  

But defintely realistic that he would want the jobi

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/15/2022 9:28 am)

3/15/2022 10:04 am  #33

Kuester came here, set a record for failure, and was replaced by his successor at BU, Mike Jarvis.

Don't know if Becker would come, but he probably knows ML is an ass (his UVM fans told us that when we hired him) and that much of the administration has changed, so it's worth a solid try.

Last edited by BM (3/15/2022 10:11 am)

3/15/2022 10:27 am  #34

Matt Langel please

3/15/2022 10:52 am  #35

What about Mark Turgeon. I heard he’s available.

3/15/2022 11:13 am  #36

Any interest in Steve Wojciehowski? Has ties to the area being from Baltimore and a pretty good record at Marquette.

3/15/2022 11:35 am  #37

The burning question behind Wojo is whether I could get past his tendency as a player to slap the ground with his palms to get himself, his teammates and the crowd motivated.  Oh how that bothered me so.

Seriously, I thought he did a credible job at Marquette and would be an interesting choice for GW.

One more tongue-in-cheek candidate.  Frank Martin agreed to a 2 for 1 with us while at Kansas State but bolted for South Carolina leaving Bruce Weber to face us.  Then, he agreed to a Smith Center contest at South Carolina but cancelled that game (due to Covid) without ever rescheduling it.  Not really sure we want him but at the very least, he owes us. 

3/15/2022 12:13 pm  #38

Matt Langel very intriguing

3/15/2022 1:53 pm  #39

[color=inherit]Major Madness[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/low_madness]@low_madness·1h Early Names at George Washington James Jones Yale Jason Williford Virginia Chris Caputo Miami Matt Langel Colgate JT3 Fmr Georgetown Pat Skerry Towson Martin Ingelsby Delaware * Some folks say Konkol in on this one. But I think he's played his way into better jobs.

3/15/2022 1:54 pm  #40

[color=inherit]CBB JUICE[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/CBBJuice]@CBBJuice·35m Chris Caputo to GW. This one was done before it opened.

Board footera