GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2022 10:01 pm  #1

2022 NCAA Tournament

The tournament officially starts tomorrow afternoon, Rutgers and Notre Dame are now battling in the PLAY-IN game, Rutgers leads 51-50 with about 11 minutes left in the game. We've seen the winner of the 11 vs 11 matchup go on to make runs in the NCAA tournament several times, including UCLA last year

3/16/2022 10:24 pm  #2

Re: 2022 NCAA Tournament

Final Four: Gonzaga v Baylor & Illinois v Auburn

Final: Baylor (w) over Auburn

Don't ask me why...I couldn't tell ya!

3/17/2022 4:16 pm  #3

Richmond is about to knock off Iowa, which a lot of the pundits were picking to make a deep run this year.

3/17/2022 9:07 pm  #4

And down goes Kentucky.  This is why if they blow up the Tourney and only keep Power 5. Ratings and dollars will fall apart.

3/17/2022 9:32 pm  #5

Things escalated quickly with the first slate of night games as 15 seeded St. Peters takes down Kentucky!! I was surprised to see that this was the 5th or 6th time that a 15 has beaten a 2 since 2010. I can't believe that a team with Kentucky's height advantage could lose, even with the terrible shooting from their guards. Indiana was also getting crushed by St.Mary's, 82-53 at the same time!! It seemed as if St. Mary's was up by 30 for the entire 2nd half. I'm assuming that St. Peter's coach Shaheen Holloway will leave for a BCS job a few days after St. Peter's is eliminated from the tournament. He was a very good player for Seton Hall in the mid to late 90's so he's probably been groomed to be at a BCS school from the moment he got into coaching. 

3/17/2022 9:33 pm  #6

Along with Richmond,but especially St. Peters,a good example of how team play and solid coaching can beat athleticism and pedigrees of far higher ranked players.

3/18/2022 7:45 am  #7

The remarkable Spiders and maybe it's time to stop listening to the Mountain West complaining that it gets no respect.

Thanks to Kendall Baker of Axios --

• The Spider special: No. 12 Richmond's victory over Iowa was the Spiders' ninth win as a 12-seed or lower, five more than any other team since seeding began in 1979.
  • 0-4: All four Mountain West teams are out (No. 12 Wyoming, No. 6 Colorado State, No. 8 Boise State, No. 8 San Diego State). The conference is now 0-8 since Nevada reached the Sweet 16 in 2018.

3/18/2022 7:49 am  #8

GW73 wrote:

The remarkable Spiders and maybe it's time to stop listening to the Mountain West complaining that it gets no respect.

• The Spider special: No. 12 Richmond's victory over Iowa was the Spiders' ninth win as a 12-seed or lower, five more than any other team since seeding began in 1979.
  • 0-4: All four Mountain West teams are out (No. 12 Wyoming, No. 6 Colorado State, No. 8 Boise State, No. 8 San Diego State). The conference is now 0-8 since Nevada reached the Sweet 16 in 2018.

Unfortunately, this sounds a lot like the Atlantic Ten, with its history of multiple bids, complaints that it gets no respect, then early exits from the tourny.

3/18/2022 8:22 am  #9

Quick poll:
Who thinks the Colonials will be back in the tournament this decade? (2029)

3/18/2022 9:06 am  #10

GW73 wrote:

First, TV ought to be writing Richmond's AD a thank you note.  Thank you for the extra money.  We can really use it.  Paying for two men's basketball coaches at the same time  going on what will be 5 years over a 10 year period (give or take) is really not so easy.

Next, I hope those responsible for organizing and paying for a FireMooney highway sign feel like absolute shit right now.  I only wish there was a way to identify these individuals and ban them from attending all UR games for as long as Mooney remains the coach.  Iowa has failed to reach the Sweet 16 in the 12 years that Fran McCaffrey has been their coach.  That's not good.

The Mountain West went 0-4, and not exactly against a murderer's row.  Colorado State lost to one of the last teams in the field in Michigan.  Boise State fell to a 10 loss Memphis team who has been playing better of late.  SD State had an 11 loss Creighton team beat practically all night but could not close the deal.  Wyoming could not get past an Indiana team that was blown away last night by St. Mary's.  Two big 10 teams, a big east team and an AAC team.  This helps illustrate why all of the blathering about midmajors getting screwed more often than not results in just that, blathering.  Yes, upsets do occur, like Richmond, St. Peter's and New Mexico State.  The point though is that there is nothing definitive which suggests that more midmajors ought to be getting into this tournament, as much as we as fans of the A10 would like to see, and that this is not going to change until we see midmajor wins over power conference teams being the rule and not the exception.

3/18/2022 9:08 am  #11

Mentzinger wrote:

Quick poll:

Would love to be wrong but due to my lack of confidence that those in control have much idea of what they are doing, I'd have to say no.  

3/18/2022 1:54 pm  #12

As long as Tanya is in charge, won't happen. Once she is "relieved" of her duties, it will take another 3-4 years to get past her bad decisions.

3/18/2022 3:14 pm  #13

Jameer Nelson Jr. is 0-7 in the 1st half against Villanova and Delaware trails by 10. The game was close until Villanova made a run late in the 2nd half. An interesting storyline in this game is Delaware center Dylan Painter started out at Villanova. 

Loyola Chicago only scored 41 points in their loss to Ohio State. That sort of offensive ineptitude may fit in with a lot of A10 teams next year!! LOL  But seriously, I expected a better performance than that because they are NCAA tournament vets at this point, and Ohio State had been struggling coming into the game.

I think GW can make the NCAA tournament again this decade because the transfer portal makes rebuilding a team a lot easier in my opinion. Also, adding Loyola-Chicago should make the conference stronger meaning more at-large bids.

3/18/2022 5:25 pm  #14

Mentzinger wrote:

Quick poll:

No reason not to, with the right coach.   With the new transfer rules and the swollen transfer portal, rebuilidng need not take as long as it used to.   There is available, proven talent out there without a new coach needing to take 3 years to recruit and develop his recruits.  Personally, I think the new rule stinks, but that is from a fans perspective rather than a player's perspective.

3/18/2022 5:46 pm  #15

Yep. If the only goal is to make a tournament we can probably Miami Marlins it some year in the next 8 seasons.

Might not be very fulfilling but it would meet the criteria of making a tournament.

3/18/2022 7:26 pm  #16

GW0509 wrote:

Yep. If the only goal is to make a tournament we can probably Miami Marlins it some year in the next 8 seasons.

Might not be very fulfilling but it would meet the criteria of making a tournament.

Any tournament would be fulfilling if they made it.

3/18/2022 10:59 pm  #17

Davidson,with amazing tenacity when seemingly doomed,almost pulled off a miracle comeback.

Board footera