GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2022 9:54 am  #21

Re: 2022 Transfer Targets

Even without a coach, Marcus Dockery looks to be a perfect fit for GW(especially if Brayon transfers out) because he's from D.C., didn't get the opportunity to play much at a BCS school and would fill a need. Most of the BCS guys who have transferred into GW had the same experience as M.Dockery. I'm assuming the new coach would immediately reach out to M.Dockery. 

Since this is a somewhat of a speculation thread(LOL), I'm going mention another local player at a BCS school, Alabama forward Darius Miles. He is also from D.C.(he played at Theodore Roosevelt with M.Dockery and they may have also been AAU teammates) and has had a limited role with Alabama for 2 years. If D.Miles decides to transfer, the new coach should bring them both in as a package deal. Even if GW struggles next year, it would be a good story to have high school teammates playing together in the city they grew up in.  

3/17/2022 10:48 am  #22

Thomas wrote:

Since this is a somewhat of a speculation thread(LOL), I'm going mention another local player at a BCS school, Alabama forward Darius Miles.  

This is a great example of the potential impact of collectives/NIL.   The rules are being written as I write.  What if an Alabama collective can essentially guarantee any Alabama player a minimum of 25k if they are on the roster (I’m guessing at the number—it could be lower or even much higher, with potentially more on his own)?   Would you transfer to GW?   If it’s minutes you seek—is there another P5 school with playing opportunités that also can pay more through their collective?  .  DC area?  Can Georgetown or Maryland collectives provide local presence and cash?  Every player will soon be calculating both sides of the equation and I’m unaware of any capacity we have to play in this space right now.

3/17/2022 11:37 am  #23

Merrick wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Since this is a somewhat of a speculation thread(LOL), I'm going mention another local player at a BCS school, Alabama forward Darius Miles.  

This is a great example of the potential impact of collectives/NIL. The rules are being written as I write. What if an Alabama collective can essentially guarantee any Alabama player a minimum of 25k if they are on the roster (I’m guessing at the number—it could be lower or even much higher, with potentially more on his own)? Would you transfer to GW? If it’s minutes you seek—is there another P5 school with playing opportunités that also can pay more through their collective? . DC area? Can Georgetown or Maryland collectives provide local presence and cash? Every player will soon be calculating both sides of the equation and I’m unaware of any capacity we have to play in this space right now.

I understand your point about getting paid, but I think the opportunity for big minutes at a school like GW(which may not be far from where he grew up) will trump being a role player at Alabama, regardless of what they could pay him. Nowadays, I don't think many players will accept sitting on the bench or being a role player for 4 years!!  Also, if D.Miles became a standout at GW he'd have the opportunity to get NIL offers.

Michigan's season could end in about an hour and a half, so I'll mention another possible local transfer..Terrance Williams(I probably mentioned him last year too! LOL). He attended Gonzaga locally and has been a role player for 2 years. He was a stretch 4 at Gonzaga. He originally committed to Georgetown but backed out and signed with Michigan. 

3/17/2022 11:42 am  #24

Just scrolling through those very interesting NIL committees, some seem like very thinly-veiled version of what has happened under the table at some schools over the years. And very far from the notion of student athletes, long abused and misnomer that it has been.
   Right now, on our level, it doesn't yet seem fearsome, though maybe it already is. Don't know what Dayton, VCU and Davidson are doing. But the reckoning on this thing has just begun and who knows where it will stop?

3/17/2022 11:55 am  #25

jf wrote:

Just scrolling through those very interesting NIL committees, some seem like very thinly-veiled version of what has happened under the table at some schools over the years. And very far from the notion of student athletes, long abused and misnomer that it has been.
   Right now, on our level, it doesn't yet seem fearsome, though maybe it already is. Don't know what Dayton, VCU and Davidson are doing. But the reckoning on this thing has just begun and who knows where it will stop?

Dayton has one for sure: Flyer Faithful LLC

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2021/07/02/college-sports-deal.html

3/17/2022 12:52 pm  #26

The point I’m trying to make on collectives is not that it will be the decisive factor or that someone at GW can’t get any NIL, but it will be one of the most significant factors going forward.  Players will be able to find both minutes and money in P5 schools as well as a select group of mid-majors with strong fan bases.

This is radically changing the college landscape for football and basketball—and I don’t use that word lightly. My humble opinion is that if you don’t look at this issue in your assessments in player/coach choices and movements, it would be like assessing football team’s prospects without considering the availability of the forward pass.

Last edited by Merrick (3/17/2022 1:25 pm)

3/17/2022 1:42 pm  #27

We are better off targeting transfers and HS players outside the DMV - they and their families know of our sordid history these last 6 years too well!

3/22/2022 8:56 pm  #28

3/30/2022 5:01 pm  #29

BM wrote:

Ish Leggett leaving URI.  We were in the mix late for the DMV kid.

Now staying at URI.

3/31/2022 9:47 pm  #30

So first we try and hold onto Freeman, Bamisille and Bishop..

But next we look at logical targets
Here's one (Especially if one or more leave)

ex DeMatha player

Travis Branham
@TravisBranham_
·
Mar 29
Memphis forward and former Miami transfer Earl Timberlake has entered the transfer portal, a source tells 
@247SportsPortal

Former Top40 prospect.

3/31/2022 10:15 pm  #31

Florida Colonial wrote:

So first we try and hold onto Freeman, Bamisille and Bishop..

But next we look at logical targets
Here's one (Especially if one or more leave)

ex DeMatha player

Travis Branham
@TravisBranham_
·
Mar 29
Memphis forward and former Miami transfer Earl Timberlake has entered the transfer portal, a source tells 
@247SportsPortal

Former Top40 prospect.

Timberlake is very talented. He’s had some troubles with injuries, but this would be a very logical destination for him.  I realize it’s going to be hard to compete with the money Joe and Brayon could make at another schools, but what an attack we’d have with the 3Bs and Timberlake.

4/01/2022 6:36 am  #32

Would Timberlake have to sit out a year since it’s his second transfer?

4/01/2022 7:05 am  #33

Here's Miami's recruiting page on Verbal Commits.  Favour Aire was AAU (?) teammates with Brayon.  May be a target if he decides to transfer at some point.  Don't see any other overlap with GW recruits off the top of my head.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/miami

4/01/2022 7:11 am  #34

GW0509 wrote:

Would Timberlake have to sit out a year since it’s his second transfer?

i obviously have to no info as to the likelihood of Earl Timberlake transferring, just pure speculation. But in terms of sitting out a year, Memphis has just been notified of significant violations from the NCAA that could likely allow their players to leave and be immediately eligible.

4/01/2022 7:18 am  #35

Also Qudus Wahab, ex-Terp, ex-Hoya, was a Miami target out of HS and out of GU.  He was teammates with Noel at Flint Hill.  One can dream.

4/01/2022 7:28 am  #36

BM wrote:

Also Qudus Wahab, ex-Terp, ex-Hoya, was a Miami target out of HS and out of GU.  He was teammates with Noel at Flint Hill.  One can dream.

Lets dream

4/01/2022 7:34 am  #37

I love the fact he can pick up the phone/text/facetime and say to DMV recruits "did you see what I did with Miami in the Tournament?  I am going to do the same type of winning at GW.  Come be part of it and win in front of family and friends!"

4/01/2022 8:30 am  #38

I don't think Qudus Wahab is necessarily a dream for GW at this point when you see how he fared last season at Maryland. He went from being a highly productive double-double machine at Georgetown to a role player at Maryland. He may not want to risk going to another BCS school and having the coach faze him out of the offense for a stretch post man! 

I'm assuming Caputo called Timberlake 2 weeks ago and told him enter the portal and sit tight until he got he GW job!! LOL  But seriously, as some of you pointed out, he got injured early during his freshman year at Miami and then got recruited over at Memphis, so his lack of production up to this point could be due to some unfortunate circumstances, he could end up being great at GW with the opportunities and the coach who played a big role in his recruitment to Miami

Miami has another local signee in their 2022 class in Christian Watson from St.John's in D.C. He's another guy to keep in eye on down the line, in addition to Favoure Aire

4/01/2022 10:45 am  #39

Apparently Miami had offered JoeBam out of HS

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Joe-Bamisile-122766/RecruitInterests/

Last edited by BM (4/01/2022 10:50 am)

4/01/2022 10:56 am  #40

Does Chris Lykes have one more year of eligibility left?  He had an early season ending injury in 2020-21.

Board footera