GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2022 12:00 pm  #101

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

MG14, that could be the way this is going.  I am fine with Caputo.  He has the recruiting connections. Will they announce while Miami is still in the tourney?  

3/19/2022 12:05 pm  #102

Ok. So GW is going to hire Caputo who did not get the Mason job when they hired English. How is that for a statement?

3/19/2022 12:09 pm  #103

That account had Kevin Willard to Mizzou two days ago.

Not saying Caputo is not a likely option but I feel like with a lot of these accounts it's just one big circle jerk where they "confirm" the same rumor over and over.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/19/2022 12:19 pm)

3/19/2022 12:33 pm  #104

Kim English was a hot property at the time he was hired by Mason.  Caputo losing out to him does not send a statement to me at all.

My concern with Caputo is whether he would stick around for a long rebuild.  My sense is that the Miami job would be his to lose when it opens in 4 years.  Is getting the program back on track only to then have to hire another coach the way we want to go?  By the way, am not saying it's not.

I would be partial to someone like Jason Williford who will bring the UVA Packline defense with him and specifically recruit to this.  I'm OK with 54-52 games as long as we're winning most of them.  It would be nice to have a real identity complete with players truly being coached and developed to fit a set system.  Lamont Paris is another strong candidate for the same reason.

3/19/2022 3:31 pm  #105

Does JTIII have a full time publicist who puts this crap out?

3/19/2022 3:51 pm  #106

Caputo has impressive resume, at least on Miami's home page.   This sounds exactly like the type of coach we should be looking for.  
https://miamihurricanes.com/coach/chris-caputo/

3/19/2022 11:16 pm  #107

GW73 wrote:

How about Lamont Paris? 

This is my vote, or to have signed Shaheen Holloway 7 days ago.

3/20/2022 7:57 am  #108

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Caputo has impressive resume, at least on Miami's home page.   This sounds exactly like the type of coach we should be looking for.  

As LFO used to say, "I agree 100%"

3/20/2022 12:01 pm  #109

Caputo isn't even the former Larranaga assistant GW should be looking at - that would be Konkol. Williford and Langel would be far better picks. So would Mike Jones from VT. GW will rue the day if they allow Mark Diaz to install the next coach.

3/20/2022 12:23 pm  #110

I agree with GW Rising. Why Diaz is part of the interview process is mind boggling. I don’t see anything on Mr. Diaz’s resume which shows he has any knowledge of athletics.

3/20/2022 12:24 pm  #111

GWRising, Does Diaz have that much pull?  Why?

Last edited by Mike K (3/20/2022 12:35 pm)

3/20/2022 12:30 pm  #112

I am just going to type what another D1 coach texted me yesterday ... food for thought

"It is easier for GW to sell hope to their donors and fan base than to spend money while digging in and working with what they have to develop a winning program. As we have seen they wind up in the same spot in a few years only to do the same thing all over again. The donors and fan base just don't realize they are being played."

3/20/2022 12:32 pm  #113

Yes and very good question.

3/20/2022 12:32 pm  #114

Mike Jones would be a great choice.Downside -Associate Head coach for only one year.
Upside -He would be a terrific recruiter AND an excellent X and O guy.Don’t know if he would be interested 
in the headaches of coaching here.

3/20/2022 12:35 pm  #115

2twooed wrote:

I agree with GW Rising. Why Diaz is part of the interview process is mind boggling. I don’t see anything on Mr. Diaz’s resume which shows he has any knowledge of athletics.

Exactly. One day when the timing is right, the full story of how things went down will be known to all. I promise all of you it won't be pretty. For now, let's see what GW does.

3/20/2022 12:41 pm  #116

Neutral on Caputo,though he has the right background,but would suspect that the influence referenced here would be declining with new interim president.
  Agree it seems like an odd thing, outside of approving the money, and potentially not a good thing, given the last decision.

Last edited by jf (3/20/2022 1:29 pm)

3/20/2022 1:21 pm  #117

GWRising wrote:

I am just going to type what another D1 coach texted me yesterday ... food for thought

"It is easier for GW to sell hope to their donors and fan base than to spend money while digging in and working with what they have to develop a winning program. As we have seen they wind up in the same spot in a few years only to do the same thing all over again. The donors and fan base just don't realize they are being played."

Agree with this insofar as look at how schools like Butler, Loyola Chicago, Davidson, et. al. capitalize on NCAA success by dramatically increasing support for the team to the point they have to move up conferences.  Meanwhile GW hopes they can get the same results while doing the absolute bare minimum to keep up with our A-10 peers.  

3/20/2022 1:24 pm  #118

GWRising wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Exactly. One day when the timing is right, the full story of how things went down will be known to all. I promise all of you it won't be pretty. For now, let's see what GW does.

Regarding "how things went down", do you mean the firing of JC?

3/20/2022 1:54 pm  #119

Mike K wrote:

GWRising wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Regarding "how things went down", do you mean the firing of JC?

Among other things, yes, and perhaps what happens next.

Last edited by GWRising (3/20/2022 1:54 pm)

3/20/2022 2:18 pm  #120

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I agree with this, it looks as if Caputo played a big role in recruiting guys to Miami who are now in the NBA. Miami's staff has also done a good job recruiting big-name local players(Chris Lykes, Earl Timberlake) in recent years. They also signed 2 top 100 local WCAC players in Favour Aire from McNamara(he may be named Washington Post Player of the Year and Christian Watson from St.John's as part of their 2022 incoming freshman class.

Board footera