GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2022 1:07 pm  #21

Re: Colonials in the Portal

It would be his 3rd school in 3 years for someone who clearly has interests outside of basketball.

3/22/2022 1:13 pm  #22

russianthistle wrote:

moneybox wrote:

If GW hires the right guy this time (very iffy), some of the guys in the portal will stay. I love the posts about not hiring a guy who will be so successful here that he might leave in a few years. Gimme a break. I guess we should stick to our old pattern of picking coaches who are so unsuccessful that they're not wanted anywhere else-- not even here. Let's win first and worry about the aftermath later. Four coaches in six years. Disgraceful!!!

Finally, some common sense!!  If we hire someone who justgot sacked, of course, they are looking to show that they have it. If it works out for a couple years, then we can say that it wasn't him, it was the school. At least for two years, I can watch some ball without screaming my head off. The AD's job is to find a waym to get me in the seats at the Smith Center. 

YES!! I'd love to be a real team for 1-2 years and take our chances. A couple good years is an eternity to recruits.
Helps GW's reputation and profile. Right now we are a lot closer to NJIT at their worst than Dayton. C'mon GW give me a reason to keep season tickets beyond habit!

3/22/2022 1:31 pm  #23

Habit (and blind loyalty) is the only thing that has kept us supporting this team.

3/24/2022 8:38 am  #24

“ An athletic guard who was a four-star prospect coming out of high school, Bamisile wants to hear out whoever ends up getting hired at George Washington. However, if he elects to go ahead and move on, Oklahoma looks to be emerging as a school to keep a close eye on for the high scoring guard.”

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketball-transfer-portal-news-and-notes-Trevon-Brazile-Khristian-Lander-185073144/

In other news, old friend Shandon Brown is transferring from Niagara. He didn’t get many minutes there so not sure where he’ll end up.

3/24/2022 9:12 am  #25

Thank you for posting this 509.  It is great news hearing that Bamisile wants to hear out whoever ends up getting hired at GW.  Makes the coach selection even more important...at least in the short term.

3/24/2022 10:02 am  #26

jf wrote:

Habit (and blind loyalty) is the only thing that has kept us supporting this team.

Seems like that’s the same thing that affects fans of every team. Jets. Commanders. Giants. Wizards. Mariners. Cubs. Pick a favorite. Most of us have moved on from the dismissals of Tallent, Hobbs, Lonergan, Rizzotti, Christian. Nature of the beast.

3/24/2022 12:32 pm  #27

GW0509 wrote:

“ An athletic guard who was a four-star prospect coming out of high school, Bamisile wants to hear out whoever ends up getting hired at George Washington. However, if he elects to go ahead and move on, Oklahoma looks to be emerging as a school to keep a close eye on for the high scoring guard.”

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketball-transfer-portal-news-and-notes-Trevon-Brazile-Khristian-Lander-185073144/

Wake up folks.  Bam is not staying.  If a school like Oklahoma is in the mix, he will get playing time and cash from someplace else that has a significant collective.  Can he get NIL here?  Sure.  But nothing compared to what he can get elsewhere where alums are pooling their money to help players instead of building locker rooms.

3/24/2022 12:37 pm  #28

Merrick wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Wake up folks.  Bam is not staying.  If a school like Oklahoma is in the mix, he will get playing time and cash from someplace else that has a significant collective.  Can he get NIL here?  Sure.  But nothing compared to what he can get elsewhere where alums are pooling their money to help players instead of building locker rooms.

Careful Merrick or Free Quebec will accuse you of being bitter and having an agenda for speaking the truth about the situation. 

It's rare with the immediate right to transfer and play that a coach is let go and the key players stay put. Again, not impossible but rare. 

3/24/2022 1:41 pm  #29

And yet worth the risk for a new coach, since we were getting nowhere and looked horrible at the very end of the season.
   We're never going to outbid players on NIL's or even under the table money. Despite the alleged $60 a pop.
But a new coach, with a higher-level track record and more promise, may still be able to persuade players to stay, especially with a greater chance of winning.

3/24/2022 2:23 pm  #30

First, notably absent from  the portal is Daniel Nixon. Any updates there?

Second, what's amazing is that any time a player left while JC was coaching, the first reaction from GWRising was that it was no big deal because the player would be replaced by somebody better (or could be replaced by somebody better). If not that, it was "good riddance, because the player leaving is clearly disloyal." Now that players are leaving because the coach was fired, there seems to be no consideration that maybe GW could get more talented players than the team that just finished the season under 500 and with a blowout loss in the first round of the A-10 tourney. Maybe Caputo, Hobbs (please Hobbs), TJ, JTIII, or any other coach brings in players to play to his system and the team succeeds! Maybe the new coach thinks Brayon would be great and convinces him to stay, and recognizes that Joe with his multiple big school offers is better to let go. Or maybe he convinces Joe that while JC is gone, good things will happen here, he'll be used better, and the team will thrive.

I dunno- nobody else knows either! I just can't wait to see what happens. Undermined or not, JC didn't get the job done on the court. The way the "undermining" has been presented here is that JC ultimately wanted more than what he got--but things that previous successful coaches also didn't have. This means JC, like Hobbs and Lonergan and Jarvis, could have succeeded. He didn't. So let's see what a fresh dose of players can do with a new coach.

3/24/2022 2:47 pm  #31

danjsport wrote:

Second, what's amazing is that any time a player left while JC was coaching, the first reaction from GWRising was that it was no big deal because the player would be replaced by somebody better (or could be replaced by somebody better). If not that, it was "good riddance, because the player leaving is clearly disloyal." Now that players are leaving because the coach was fired, there seems to be no consideration that maybe GW could get more talented players than the team that just finished the season under 500 and with a blowout loss in the first round of the A-10 tourney. Maybe Caputo, Hobbs (please Hobbs), TJ, JTIII, or any other coach brings in players to play to his system and the team succeeds! Maybe the new coach thinks Brayon would be great and convinces him to stay, and recognizes that Joe with his multiple big school offers is better to let go. Or maybe he convinces Joe that while JC is gone, good things will happen here, he'll be used better, and the team will thrive.

I dunno- nobody else knows either! I just can't wait to see what happens. Undermined or not, JC didn't get the job done on the court. The way the "undermining" has been presented here is that JC ultimately wanted more than what he got--but things that previous successful coaches also didn't have. This means JC, like Hobbs and Lonergan and Jarvis, could have succeeded. He didn't. So let's see what a fresh dose of players can do with a new coach.

1. No updates on Nixon.
2. Who said anything about whether these players should leave.? I told you what will likely happen based on experience both with GW and with other schools. Who said anything about whether the new coach could attract better players? We don't even know who the new coach will be yet.
3. Which of Jarvis, Hobbs or Lonergan had 2 1/2 years to produce? Which of them had to deal with COVID? Also, times do change. The A-10 is not as strong but the arms race in the A-10 is significantly different. You just saw that is was reported that UMASS offered Schmidt $1.8 million per year. We pay 1 million + less. What do you think they spend on basketball? Our spending is likely bottom three or four in the league now and the gap is growing not shrinking. JC faced tougher admissions standards than any of the other three. JC inherited the aftermath of the ML debacle. Yes, JC could have succeeded but it's not as simple as saying it was the same. That's the problem here we keep being sold that well we just need the right coach. That hasn't worked. We fired 4 coaches in 11 years. I don't know if there is another school that can say that. It might not be the coaches.

3/24/2022 3:59 pm  #32

GWRising wrote:

danjsport wrote:

1. No updates on Nixon.
2. Who said anything about whether these players should leave.? I told you what will likely happen based on experience both with GW and with other schools. Who said anything about whether the new coach could attract better players? We don't even know who the new coach will be yet.
3. Which of Jarvis, Hobbs or Lonergan had 2 1/2 years to produce? Which of them had to deal with COVID? Also, times do change. The A-10 is not as strong but the arms race in the A-10 is significantly different. You just saw that is was reported that UMASS offered Schmidt $1.8 million per year. We pay 1 million + less. What do you think they spend on basketball? Our spending is likely bottom three or four in the league now and the gap is growing not shrinking. JC faced tougher admissions standards than any of the other three. JC inherited the aftermath of the ML debacle. Yes, JC could have succeeded but it's not as simple as saying it was the same. That's the problem here we keep being sold that well we just need the right coach. That hasn't worked. We fired 4 coaches in 11 years. I don't know if there is another school that can say that. It might not be the coaches.

To be clear, I think GW needs to spend more on basketball to be successful on a consistent basis beyond an NIT tourney and some luck to win it on occasion. A coach, on their own, can't do it. But Lonergan and Hobbs each had plenty to deal with. Hobbs dealing with the aftermath of Penders, then the Omar "scandal," then the change in admissions standards. Lonergan had to deal with the fallout of Hobbs and starting with a whole team of freshmen.  Of course it's not just the coaches. Mojo never should have been hired; Lonergan never should have been fired (maybe). But GW has needed to spend more money forever. Here's hoping that whatever the impetus was for this change,  that money starts being spent. If you're a supporter of the program, maybe now you donate more to encourage it, rather than to withdraw your support because you don't like the way JC got fired.

3/27/2022 6:52 pm  #33

jake lieberman @jakelieberman2 1m 
George Washington transfer Brayon Freeman (@yoobrayyy) tells me that he's mainly been in contact with Vanderbilt, Arizona State, DePaul, Cincinnati, Xavier, Northwestern, and Iona. Freeman put up 10.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 3.7 assists. 6'2 freshman.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/27/2022 6:52 pm)

3/27/2022 8:39 pm  #34

GW0509 wrote:

jake lieberman @jakelieberman2 1m 
George Washington transfer Brayon Freeman (@yoobrayyy) tells me that he's mainly been in contact with Vanderbilt, Arizona State, DePaul, Cincinnati, Xavier, Northwestern, and Iona. Freeman put up 10.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 3.7 assists. 6'2 freshman.

The same guy quote tweeted that tweet and said he's also hearing from St Bonaventure

3/27/2022 9:17 pm  #35

Can't be near or play in front of his family
in any of those places. Something to
think about.

4/02/2022 3:15 pm  #36

Rumor is Freeman is leaning towards staying while Bamisile is leaning towards leaving. The players are apparently meeting Caputo today so I'd imagine neither decision is set in stone

4/02/2022 3:50 pm  #37

Here’s hoping brayon stays, and that joe thrives wherever he goes. Now find a big or two that can play! Losing one guy would hurt, but would not be all that bad given today’s environment.

4/02/2022 7:18 pm  #38

One thing the final 4 shows is that if your players are excellent athletes, you really don’t need much of a bench.  All four final 4 teams are in the bottom 65 in bench minutes.  Kansas plays 7 guys (2 big guys split time and then 5 players split 4 slots), Duke plays 7 only because their backup big plays 5-10 minutes per game, Villanova typically plays 6, and UNC basically plays 5 unless foul trouble or a couple minutes here or there for a 6th or in a blowout they’ll give their bench some minutes.

Point is, if we can come up big in the portal, we don’t necessarily need to go 8-10 deep like we’ve been trying to do unsuccessfully in recent years - though to do it they have to be great athletes and able to play aggressive defense without fouling.

4/02/2022 10:28 pm  #39

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Rumor is Freeman is leaning towards staying while Bamisile is leaning towards leaving. The players are apparently meeting Caputo today so I'd imagine neither decision is set in stone

Hope Brayon stays and Caputo can somehow convince Bamisile to stay as well though I've already come to terms with the fact he's probably not going to. 

4/03/2022 11:17 am  #40

Free Quebec wrote:

One thing the final 4 shows is that if your players are excellent athletes, you really don’t need much of a bench. All four final 4 teams are in the bottom 65 in bench minutes. Kansas plays 7 guys (2 big guys split time and then 5 players split 4 slots), Duke plays 7 only because their backup big plays 5-10 minutes per game, Villanova typically plays 6, and UNC basically plays 5 unless foul trouble or a couple minutes here or there for a 6th or in a blowout they’ll give their bench some minutes.

Point is, if we can come up big in the portal, we don’t necessarily need to go 8-10 deep like we’ve been trying to do unsuccessfully in recent years - though to do it they have to be great athletes and able to play aggressive defense without fouling.

I'd say the short bench is the "hot new trend," especially with the current half life of players in the Portal Era.

Board footera