GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2022 10:25 am  #261

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Well, JC was announced on March 21 (2019).
He got Battle and Paar to stick with their commitments.
Depending on who the next coach might have in his pocket, not sure Jabari West is a full court press or not, though we need size for sure.
So the extent one cares about retaining players, Brayon being the one with most potential, years left and local reasons to stay, we're not out of the race.
And the new coach might make a more compelling argument for Brayon to be the engine of an actually winning GW team.

3/24/2022 12:05 pm  #262

Is there something I’m missing?If Caputo is the “right guy”-and no one can know for sure-then who gives a shit if it was an inside job.Rising is way to close to the situation to see this thing clearly.Let’s get a coach and 
move on.I’m getting fed up with the unnecessary drama.My issue obviously.I have no vested interest in Caputo 
or anyone else.

Last edited by GW69 (3/24/2022 12:11 pm)

3/24/2022 12:19 pm  #263

GW69 wrote:

Is there something I’m missing?If Caputo is the “right guy”-and no one can know for sure-then who gives a shit if it was an inside job.Rising is way to close to the situation to see this thing clearly.Let’s get a coach and 
move on.I’m getting fed up with the unnecessary drama.My issue obviously.

ML was an inside job too. How did that workout? 

Yes, I guess it's pure "drama" if you don't give a shit about how people are treated especially by your school or whether some folks might be exerting undue influence or engaged in conflicts of interest. What could possible go wrong? 

Yes close to the situation but no closer than I was to the situations with Hobbs, Lonergan or Mojo. .

Plus, how do we even know whether Caputo is the "right guy"? What are the alternatives? 

Last edited by GWRising (3/24/2022 12:22 pm)

3/24/2022 12:33 pm  #264

Rising if you read my post carefully you will see that I said/ -“no one can know for sure”.That’s true about 
anyone GW chooses.Your emotional response adds credence to my intuition that you art overly
invested in this decision process.By the way ML worked pretty well until it didn’t.

3/24/2022 12:43 pm  #265

GW69 wrote:

Rising if you read my post carefully you will see that I said/ -“no one can know for sure”.That’s true about 
anyone GW chooses.Your emotional response adds credence to my intuition that you art overly
invested in this decision process.By the way ML worked pretty well until it didn’t.

You are correct. I am invested in the decision "process" more than the result. And you and everyone else should be too. Bad processes usually lead to bad results. While very disappointed in the results of how the Hobbs, Lonergan and Christian eras came to a close, this one feels a lot different (at least in comparison to Hobbs) for a number of reasons, some of which have already been explained and some of which have not yet.. 

Last edited by GWRising (3/24/2022 12:44 pm)

3/24/2022 1:02 pm  #266

Probably worth point out that GWRising is correct a lot regarding this program.  Not perfect, but correct a lot.

This does not sound to me like a "sour grapes" situation.  It does sound like some stuff could have gone on that would have enraged or at least concerned Rising even if he had no relationship with the aggrieved party.  Moreover, the point being raised is that immoral or unscrupulous activities were in fact going on behind the scenes, they were going on at OUR school, within OUR program.  I only hope the day will come when we can truly get to the bottom of this, in a perfectly transparent manner, so that there are not divided camps over this move.

3/24/2022 1:13 pm  #267

GWRising wrote:

GW69 wrote:

You are correct. I am invested in the decision "process" more than the result. And you and everyone else should be too. Bad processes usually lead to bad results. While very disappointed in the results of how the Hobbs, Lonergan and Christian eras came to a close, this one feels a lot different (at least in comparison to Hobbs) for a number of reasons, some of which have already been explained and some of which have not yet.. 

Exactly, Rising, Exactly. Like most of the folks who post here I have zero insight into the process therefore I am all about the results. I agree bad process leads to bad outcomes. I have limited interest UNLESS there is vetted information provided with a proper byline. That I will read carefully over and over again.

Insider information presented with humor or plainly stated always welcome. Chiding, scolding, arguing or parsing wears me out.

I hope GW doesn't trash people or do stupid things. Players? Fabulous people, glad to hear it. What I see is on the court and eventually gets measured in wins and losses.

3/24/2022 1:41 pm  #268

Gwmayhem wrote:

Probably worth point out that GWRising is correct a lot regarding this program.  Not perfect, but correct a lot.

This does not sound to me like a "sour grapes" situation.  It does sound like some stuff could have gone on that would have enraged or at least concerned Rising even if he had no relationship with the aggrieved party.  Moreover, the point being raised is that immoral or unscrupulous activities were in fact going on behind the scenes, they were going on at OUR school, within OUR program.  I only hope the day will come when we can truly get to the bottom of this, in a perfectly transparent manner, so that there are not divided camps over this move.

Exactly. I can be persuaded to support the next guy but this has to be a "clean" process. I believe there is some direct and also more circumstantial evidence pointing to the fact that this is not a clean process. We can all agree or disagree on a purely basketball basis who the next coach should be. Just want to ensure we hire the next guy for the right reasons not the wrong ones.

3/24/2022 2:29 pm  #269

Rising has more credibility on what he's saying than the other 10 of us that care.
B & B are not coming back.
When we look at UMass and Rhode Island and their process, it's obvious they have highly qualified and talented candidates to choose from, whether its plan A, B or C.
Our plan A is equivalent to other A-10 schools plan D, E and F.
Tanya doesn't know what she is doing. The administration is inept. The resources have been wasted and no longer exist. The performance on the court these last 5 years have driven away the few students we had who bothered to come to games unless they received some sort of gift or promo. The entire college basketball community has read the DeadSpin article and knows what we know. The only candidates we can seek who would take the job are 1st time head coach's or one's not ready for the jump to A-10.

But please keep dreaming - it's a great distraction to where our program has been the last 6 years and where it's headed for another 6 years.

Raise High!

3/24/2022 3:08 pm  #270

If the reports are true...

UMASS offered Schmidt $1.8 million per season
St. Bonaventure matched this

Am fairly confident that GW has never paid out more than about 50% of this amount, excluding legal settlements.

Incidentally, average attendance at SBU games this season was 3,974.  At UMASS, this was 2,219.  GW's attendance was paltry this season (1,119) but we've had plenty of seasons where average attendance was close to or around SBU's total this season.  We are not talking about programs like Dayton and SLU who play in much larger arenas and can well afford to pay their head coaches $1.8 million.  This is SBU and UMASS willing to pay $1.8 million.

Another example of this program really needing to make a decision as to whether it wants to play ball (i.e. try to be competitive) in the A10 or not.  If not, it would absolutely suck, but let's move down.  No point in being a near cellar-dweller year in and year out.

3/24/2022 3:20 pm  #271

Reading reports that UMass has offered the job to Frank Martin

3/24/2022 3:23 pm  #272

If GW put the money into the program that they paid off Nero, ML, woman’s coach, and JC we would probably not be in the position we are in. In regards to dropping down level or levels as a donor, season ticket holder, and former scholarship athlete I would lose all interest in the programs. The powers that be are saying they are going to put the money into the program and further say they want to compete and be a factor every year in the league. I hope so but the next hire will make it or break in my eyes. By the way anyone who thinks we have a shot at keeping the players in the portal are kidding themselves. Place feels like the Titanic to me.

3/24/2022 3:47 pm  #273

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1507071481003462665

The guy we’re hearing with the most traction at George Washington is John Becker. If he gets the job, expect Vermont to move quick with an internal hire in Associate Head Coach Ryan Schneider. And I’d find myself feeling a little bad that timing conspired against Kyle Cieplicki.

3/24/2022 3:51 pm  #274

on the other hand, this guys says otherwise about becker: https://twitter.com/WDEVRadioBrady/status/1507090008590753794

3/24/2022 4:05 pm  #275

GWRising wrote:

Good question. First of all, we need a much stronger athletics representative on the Board. We had one in Allan From. The guy we have now is no Allan From.

Second, we need to get younger supporters involved. I've been at this for 30+ years. It's more or less the same people and none of us are getting any younger. We have to expand the base to use a political term.

Third, we have to pressure people at all levels of the University. We don't have an internal champion anymore like a Bob Chernak who understood college athletics and what it takes to be successful. 

Good ideas -- so how do we do those?

How does someone get on the board, and if we can't get someone new, how do we talk to and influence existing members? 

How do we get younger donors involved? From my friends (40yo-ish) I've talked to they aren't too interested because of the recent lack of success. Maybe a new coach would help with that. Any other ideas? 

And how do we pressure people at all levels of the university?

3/24/2022 4:21 pm  #276

Gwmayhem wrote:

If the reports are true...

UMASS offered Schmidt $1.8 million per season
St. Bonaventure matched this

Am fairly confident that GW has never paid out more than about 50% of this amount, excluding legal settlements.

Incidentally, average attendance at SBU games this season was 3,974.  At UMASS, this was 2,219.  GW's attendance was paltry this season (1,119) but we've had plenty of seasons where average attendance was close to or around SBU's total this season.  We are not talking about programs like Dayton and SLU who play in much larger arenas and can well afford to pay their head coaches $1.8 million.  This is SBU and UMASS willing to pay $1.8 million.

Another example of this program really needing to make a decision as to whether it wants to play ball (i.e. try to be competitive) in the A10 or not.  If not, it would absolutely suck, but let's move down.  No point in being a near cellar-dweller year in and year out.

I get sort of Oakland A's/Moneyball vibes with the program.  Because there's been success with a lower-tier budget, the powers that be think we can just consistently compete on the cheap.  That strategy can work from time to time but more often than not you are just sort of stuck in the middle of the pack and the constant churn does not endear yourself to the fans and not investing in the facilities does not entice athletes to come to the school.  Even with our most recent success under ML, we saw the team sort of fade down the stretch and end up in the NIT in 15 and 16.  Maybe there was something the school could've done with respect to travel or strength and conditioning that could've prevented that? I realize that is a big hypothetical but I don't think that it can be completely discounted.  The financial rewards of making the NCAA tournament those two years would've paid for those "perks" many times over.

Gwmayhem is right that the cost of business is going up in the A10 and the Trustees need to wake up to it. We don't need to become Dayton and SLU but we certainly need to keep up with Richmond, Davidson, Loyola Chicago, etc.  

3/24/2022 5:35 pm  #277

If John Becker is involved and GW doesn't do what it financially takes to get him, it's a huge mistake. Head and shoulders the best option I've seen mentioned. His teams guard their ass off and move the ball. He knows about high academic kids.

Last edited by GWRising (3/24/2022 5:47 pm)

3/24/2022 5:55 pm  #278

GWRising wrote:

If John Becker is involved and GW doesn't do what it financially takes to get him, it's a huge mistake. Head and shoulders the best option I've seen mentioned. His teams guard their ass off and move the ball. He knows about high academic kids.

I think the debate about coaching salaries can be put this way: If St. Bonaventure can afford to pay $1m+ to a coach, so can we.   

The era of crying poor needs to end.  Time to stop acting like the Pittsburgh Pirates and start acting more like my Milwaukee Brewers who, while being the league's smallest market, are consistently about league average in spending and top 10 in attendance.

3/24/2022 7:00 pm  #279

3/24/2022 7:20 pm  #280

This tweet from GW's radio station says that a coach could be named tomorrow. If this is true, that would probably rule out Caputo since Miami plays in the late game tomorrow night. If GW hires a coach tomorrow, wouldn't Becker be the favorite? With Jason Williford being a distant second. 

Board footera