GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2022 11:53 am  #341

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

GW0509 wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Everyone mentions how supporters can step up and make the program more attractive and competitive. I firmly believe GW needs to show the supporters that the school is willing to invest in the basketball program. If they hire an assistant coach from somewhere else that is on the cheap than they are telling us something. If they spend money I believe they will earn money. Truth is right around the corner. TV’s job and the future of the athletic program are on the line.

I think what GWRising alluded to earlier is that the person capable of signing off on investing in the program may only be willing to do that if he can pick the HC over TV.

So would you take that bargain?

Or maybe set the financial parameters low so they exclude certain candidates who would be more formidable getting to the same result without having your fingerprints on it. Either way it stinks.

Last edited by GWRising (3/28/2022 11:53 am)

3/28/2022 11:54 am  #342

GWRising wrote:

Bad news gentlemen, it appears as though Becker is no longer in the mix according to very good sources. These sources claim there was mutual interest but GW was not willing to do what it takes to get him here - I read that to mean a commitment on salary or charters or other things. Hope they have a rabbit up their sleeve besides Caputo.

I'll put the positive spin on this. If there was "mutual interest," it means that this job was not simply put out for Caputo, but there was an actual process. If GW is simply not wiling to spend on the things we think it needs to spend on, that's their choice. But mutual interest shows me that there is a real coaching search process happening, even if the end result isn't the coach we (the royal we) wanted.

3/28/2022 11:56 am  #343

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Bad news gentlemen, it appears as though Becker is no longer in the mix according to very good sources. These sources claim there was mutual interest but GW was not willing to do what it takes to get him here - I read that to mean a commitment on salary or charters or other things. Hope they have a rabbit up their sleeve besides Caputo.

I'll put the positive spin on this. If there was "mutual interest," it means that this job was not simply put out for Caputo, but there was an actual process. If GW is simply not wiling to spend on the things we think it needs to spend on, that's their choice. But mutual interest shows me that there is a real coaching search process happening, even if the end result isn't the coach we (the royal we) wanted.

Or a smokescreen. Maybe it was purposely leaked that there was mutual interest to cover for a process that really isn't one. I guess only a few know the truth.. If you recall within hours of JC's dismissal tweets from reputable sources were claiming it was Caputo's job. If there was a real process, how would you know that?

Last edited by GWRising (3/28/2022 11:58 am)

3/28/2022 12:02 pm  #344

If indeed Becker is uninterested, the money might not be the driving factor, unless he has other high offers
in a situation he likes--and no one has hired him away yet. Reportedly, he turned down Duquese a few years ago, saying it would take a lot to get him to leave Vermont.
  His base salary plus bonuses, seems a fair amount less than what we would offer him, even if well under $1 million.
   The other issues could be a lot of it--and it could also be the treatment of a former coach he knows in the back of his mind.
  Assuming we had serious negotiating interest, which seems unlikely, as GW always tends toward not doing
the right thing.

3/28/2022 12:05 pm  #345

Again, I'm trying to reserve my judgment until we know the final results of this process, but I am hopeful that somehow a reporter will get hold of the financials involved in this once the hire is made. I understand we won't know what's being promised in terms of resource allocation for the travel and such, but knowing the final dollars and cents of the contract will be very helpful in figuring out how to feel about things.

3/28/2022 12:07 pm  #346

jf wrote:

If indeed Becker is uninterested, the money might not be the driving factor, unless he has other high offers
in a situation he likes--and no one has hired him away yet. Reportedly, he turned down Duquese a few years ago, saying it would take a lot to get him to leave Vermont.
  His base salary plus bonuses, seems a fair amount less than what we would offer him, even if well under $1 million.
   The other issues could be a lot of it--and it could also be the treatment of a former coach he knows in the back of his mind.
  Assuming we had serious negotiating interest, which seems unlikely, as GW always tends toward not doing
the right thing.

Another complicating factor is his girlfriend is the HC at Holy Cross. Much easier to have a long distance relationship between VT and CT than DC and CT.

3/28/2022 12:10 pm  #347

GW0509 wrote:

jf wrote:

the right thing.

Another complicating factor is his girlfriend is the HC at Holy Cross. Much easier to have a long distance relationship between VT and CT than DC and CT.

You mean MA  - Holy Cross is in Worcester, MA

3/28/2022 12:12 pm  #348

GWRising wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

jf wrote:

the right thing.

You mean MA  - Holy Cross is in Worcester, MA

Oh right, oops

3/28/2022 12:14 pm  #349

GWRising is no more transparent than the powers that be.Totally ridiculous.Either you have the whole 
story or you dont.I certainly get titillated by his posts and once in a while there is a nugget thats 
worthy of his insiders status.His “process” is no better than the “bad process” he is so upset about.

3/28/2022 12:42 pm  #350

GW69 wrote:

GWRising is no more transparent than the powers that be.Totally ridiculous.Either you have the whole 
story or you dont.I certainly get titillated by his posts and once in a while there is a nugget thats 
worthy of his insiders status.His “process” is no better than the “bad process” he is so upset about.

Except I'm not the one that needs a process here. I'm not hiring anyone. I am a semi-anonymous board poster. I don't expect anyone to believe or not believe what I post here. That's the nature of a message board. You are free to read or keep it moving.

3/28/2022 1:37 pm  #351

While we discuss our options between Caputo, Williford and Pegues (all asst's with little to no track record), our fellow A-10 teams are hiring proven coaches like Martin and Miller.

Get ready for another 5 years of SUCK.

Keep Raising High GW!

3/28/2022 1:46 pm  #352

Take it FWIW but here’s a UVM fan commenting about GWRising’s news about Becker on the America East board:

“That's called saving face when you're told you're not in a position to get the job.

I'm really surprised how puzzled you seem to be about all this. The off the court stuff doesn't help, and it's an easy thing to avoid as an AD not looking for baggage, particularly in the Northeast corridor/down to DC or whatever, but at a certain point here it comes down to Becker is obviously not doing something right to either close the deal and get an offer (he's not turning these offers down no matter who he tells who then tells boosters A or B), or to impress these ADs enough that he's what they want from a coach that he's not even getting into the finalist stage?

Man has maybe one known "higher level" offer in the last 4-5 years. And, we're not even sure if Duquense extended an offer, or asked to interview to discuss an offer. All we know is they wanted to talk. He wasn't on UMass and URI's radar, and he can claim "no resources" all he wants at GW, but truth is, he wasn't their top guy to start.

It's been kinda clear that at least one reason he's not moved on has something to do with him and how he presents himself to prospective employers because if he was doing even 50% better he'd be somewhere else by now, which has been his goal for 3 seasons now.”

https://www.basketballforum.com/threads/coaching-carousel-2022.692759/post-15367658

Last edited by GW0509 (3/28/2022 1:47 pm)

3/28/2022 1:49 pm  #353

2twooed wrote:

Everyone mentions how supporters can step up and make the program more attractive and competitive. I firmly believe GW needs to show the supporters that the school is willing to invest in the basketball program. If they hire an assistant coach from somewhere else that is on the cheap than they are telling us something. If they spend money I believe they will earn money. Truth is right around the corner. TV’s job and the future of the athletic program are on the line.

Here's the dilemma:  I don't look at this so much as donating to the program as I do investing in the program.  Here's what's changed over the years:

The program's athletic director is potentially being undermined by the school's CFO.  
The program lacks a steward for the program on the inside, as was the case with Dr. Chernak.
The school's board is comprised of individuals who care about other things far more deeply than sports.

Simply put, given these conditions, should I feel confident that I will receive a favorable return on investment (and by that, I mean a competitive men's basketball program) anytime soon? 

3/28/2022 2:04 pm  #354

I think all of your points are spot on.

3/28/2022 3:07 pm  #355

Gwmayhem wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Here's the dilemma:  I don't look at this so much as donating to the program as I do investing in the program.  Here's what's changed over the years:

The program's athletic director is potentially being undermined by the school's CFO.  
The program lacks a steward for the program on the inside, as was the case with Dr. Chernak.
The school's board is comprised of individuals who care about other things far more deeply than sports.

Simply put, given these conditions, should I feel confident that I will receive a favorable return on investment (and by that, I mean a competitive men's basketball program) anytime soon? 

GW Rising’s aspersion about the CFO undermining JC and potentially Becker has come with literally zero evidence at all (not even a single specific allegation).   I think it’s wrong to use an anonymous smear like that as if it’s fact when we have no idea it BS is just knife fighting through the message board, if it’s just gossip among some insiders venting, or if it’s even remotely true.

I’m not going to engage in speculation about it without at least some specifics to the allegations.

3/28/2022 3:26 pm  #356

GWRising wrote:

Very disappointing

3/28/2022 3:31 pm  #357

2twooed wrote:

I'm asking this because I don't know the answer, but did GW invest in the massive science and engineering hall because engineering student applications were through the roof?  Because a donor wrote a massive check?  or because the school wanted to invest in an area that would have a positive return in the future?

3/28/2022 3:43 pm  #358

Free Quebec wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

2twooed wrote:

GW Rising’s aspersion about the CFO undermining JC and potentially Becker has come with literally zero evidence at all (not even a single specific allegation). I think it’s wrong to use an anonymous smear like that as if it’s fact when we have no idea it BS is just knife fighting through the message board, if it’s just gossip among some insiders venting, or if it’s even remotely true.

I’m not going to engage in speculation about it without at least some specifics to the allegations.

What's most amazing to me is that he had no problem supporting JC, despite these problems. Mojo was undermined from day 1 and was put in place solely to be a placeholder. He was then replaced by JC, the only candidate that appeared to be in serious consideration for the job. He was not complaining about process then.

To me, it's simple. I just want a coach to come and win. Of course that's easier with more donors, money, facilities, etc. Holloway just took some school I'd never heard of to the Elite 8. It can be done.

3/28/2022 3:57 pm  #359

Not to get into too much idle speculation, but how long does this vacancy go before we can assume that GW is talking to people they want to hire, but the numbers GW is offering aren't what the candidate is looking for? 

Wouldn't that be the likely top reason for this to go on for a bit?  I just wish for once GW would offer bigger $ to get a coach.  Just step up and try to do what's needed to build a program this one time.  

Last edited by Deleo (3/28/2022 3:58 pm)

3/28/2022 3:58 pm  #360

danjsport wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

GW Rising’s aspersion about the CFO undermining JC and potentially Becker has come with literally zero evidence at all (not even a single specific allegation). I think it’s wrong to use an anonymous smear like that as if it’s fact when we have no idea it BS is just knife fighting through the message board, if it’s just gossip among some insiders venting, or if it’s even remotely true.

What's most amazing to me is that he had no problem supporting JC, despite these problems. Mojo was undermined from day 1 and was put in place solely to be a placeholder. He was then replaced by JC, the only candidate that appeared to be in serious consideration for the job. He was not complaining about process then.

To me, it's simple. I just want a coach to come and win. Of course that's easier with more donors, money, facilities, etc. Holloway just took some school I'd never heard of to the Elite 8. It can be done.

Mojo should have never been the coach. He was not ready to be handed that job at that time. He is far more ready today than at that time. It wasn't his fault that GW dysfunction led to him being named the coach before he was ready..

"JC was the only candidate that appeared to be in serious contention for the job" - You should have stopped right there. WRONG. There were more than a dozen candidates interviewed and a final 3 were brought in for interviews. JC was neither the only serious candidate nor the unanimous selected candidate among those having a vote.

"Holloway just took some school I never heard of to the Elite 8" - He's now the Seton Hall coach and St. Peter's will probably not return to the Elite 8 in your or my lifetime. Why? He knows it's not sustainable given the resources. Do you want GW to hope they catch lightning in a bottle say every 50-100 years or do you want a sustainable program? 

Board footera