GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2022 4:03 pm  #361

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Here is something else to chew on ... from reports from agents or people actually involved in the process, GW is offering perhaps as much as 1 million or more less than the top paid coach in the A-10 and an amount that would place us in the bottom 3 or 4 of the league. Any wonder why you are primarily hearing the names of assistants?

3/28/2022 4:37 pm  #362

We should be at least reasonably competitive with most A-10 programs in our resources.
Nonetheless, while St. Peters is of course an extreme example, there are others (ironically including Vermont ) so it does speak to issues beyond coach's salary, facilities and travel.
  Simply can and should do better on the court than we have in years, aside from the money question.

3/28/2022 5:27 pm  #363

FQ, say it ain't so - people passing info based on "anonymous sources". 

Why can't you understand that Becker and most other successful, proven head coaches will take a pass on GW. We don't have the money or desire to pay a coach a competitive A-10 type salary. That's why we are interviewing people who have never been a head coach at any level past HS (and please don't say Pegues has head coach experience).

JC is a dream candidate based on what he did before coming to GW compared to these assistants looking for a payday for a few years.

I can't wait for the big announcement - GW hires asst who will try real hard against the likes of Martin, Miller , Schmidt and company.

3/28/2022 6:02 pm  #364

Here is another completely unsubstantiated rumor-T.V. was judicious enough not to hire Becker due to 
the escalating sex scandal at Vermont.Good as any reason-better than most.Speculation and eventually 
paranoia fill the space that the lack of real facts leaves open.

Last edited by GW69 (3/28/2022 6:09 pm)

3/28/2022 6:23 pm  #365

Guys- GW hasn't played a meaningful postseason game in 6 years. It's gone through two coaches in that time frame. It's had, if we're being intellectually honest, 3-4 really solid players in that time frame, none of whom were really transcendent to the program. It threw out its coach for a scandal that may or may not have existed, and kept an AD for a scandal that surely did. It hired a coach not ready to coach and then replaced him with a coach that ditched his previous job after one year for GW. And the team hasn't had a 500 record since. 

Why would a good coach want to come here, other than money? Why would a new president want to spend money on basketball when this is the last six years? What GW needs is a turnaround. And there are two ways to get it. They could hire a good assistant coach who can grow the program without arguing that it should just get more (which ultimately was Hobbs, until it wasn't..after the school fucked over Hobbs). Or they could just start spending the money now, and hope the funds can fix a broken program. BUT, if the funds don't fix the broken program,  there's trouble--and no excuse. 

I'd like to get GW back on the map. I'd like to not spend a bunch of my own money to help because the program has stunk, tickets are still too expensive for the product they put out there, and there's been no good path forward. The team has lost (potentially) two of its only good players, and so the new coach is going to have to hit the transfer market immediately (note that if Caputo is the coach, there's not exactly going to be a pipeline from Miami, who's players are all already 75 years old).

Calling for money is one thing. But if they are going to spend that money, it better work. If they aren't, they better get to a position it will work in the future, or there's trouble.

3/28/2022 7:08 pm  #366

If they promise me two things:
1.  They are going to hire a really quality coach
2.  They aren’t changing the Colonials name

They can call me and ask for money.

3/28/2022 7:12 pm  #367

We repeatedly spend our money on the back end eating fired coaches' salaries. Shortsighted and dumb!

3/28/2022 8:09 pm  #368

@trillydonovan 
Reading the tea leaves on the situation at George Washington - it appears as though it may be Chris Caputo’s job to lose. The Miami assistant has been heavily rumored from the jump and just wrapped up his season yesterday. GW would’ve announced a hire if it was anyone else.

3/28/2022 10:59 pm  #369

Let's just drop men's basketball  and add back men's rowing, coed sailing, and squash.  National rankings in all three, a hell of a lot stressful for all of us, and  a lot cheaper.  Yes, less opportunity for acidic comment and debate but we can go into the future calmer and live longer.

3/28/2022 11:08 pm  #370

kdb san diego wrote:

Let's just drop men's basketball  and add back men's rowing, coed sailing, and squash.  National rankings in all three, a hell of a lot stressful for all of us, and  a lot cheaper.  Yes, less opportunity for acidic comment and debate but we can go into the future calmer and live longer.

And here I thought all that zen stuff was in the northern part of the state. Hope all is well with you, kdb. Hard to believe Malibu was over 20 years ago and here we still are.

3/29/2022 6:59 am  #371

GW0509 wrote:

@trillydonovan 
Reading the tea leaves on the situation at George Washington - it appears as though it may be Chris Caputo’s job to lose. The Miami assistant has been heavily rumored from the jump and just wrapped up his season yesterday. GW would’ve announced a hire if it was anyone else.

I guess a Twitter account with 43 followers as of this morning is as authoritative a source as we'll get around here.  

3/29/2022 8:58 am  #372

3/29/2022 9:06 am  #373

Sounding like Chris needs a day or two.  Perhaps we are not offering enough, or he is wanting too much, or both.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/29/2022 9:06 am)

3/29/2022 9:31 am  #374

Free Quebec wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Everyone mentions how supporters can step up and make the program more attractive and competitive. I firmly believe GW needs to show the supporters that the school is willing to invest in the basketball program. If they hire an assistant coach from somewhere else that is on the cheap than they are telling us something. If they spend money I believe they will earn money. Truth is right around the corner. TV’s job and the future of the athletic program are on the line.

Here's the dilemma:  I don't look at this so much as donating to the program as I do investing in the program.  Here's what's changed over the years:

The program's athletic director is potentially being undermined by the school's CFO.  
The program lacks a steward for the program on the inside, as was the case with Dr. Chernak.
The school's board is comprised of individuals who care about other things far more deeply than sports.

Simply put, given these conditions, should I feel confident that I will receive a favorable return on investment (and by that, I mean a competitive men's basketball program) anytime soon? 

GW Rising’s aspersion about the CFO undermining JC and potentially Becker has come with literally zero evidence at all (not even a single specific allegation). I think it’s wrong to use an anonymous smear like that as if it’s fact when we have no idea it BS is just knife fighting through the message board, if it’s just gossip among some insiders venting, or if it’s even remotely true.

I’m not going to engage in speculation about it without at least some specifics to the allegations.

Completely your prerogative to not engage in speculation.  However, GWRising is one of the very few sources here that provides real information as to what is or is probably happening behind the scenes.  He shares what he can here but I can respect the fact that some things are privileged.  He has introduced the possibility that Mark Diaz could be picking the next coach, and that he has obvious ties to Miami/Caputo.  One of the coaching sites indicated on twitter that this search was over before it began (or something to this effect).  When you put two and two together, even the most reasonable person ought to be able to conclude that GWRising did not conjure up this entire scenario within his own imagination.  

It should also be noted (am starting to feel like Rising's press agent) that I don't think Rising is necessarily anti-Caputo as a coach.  He is anti- the way this has all unfolded.  Worth pointing out because I have no doubt that he will make nice with CC should he be hired, prompting many of you to lash out at him for contradicting his earlier position, which of course he would not be doing.

Rising, please keep the information coming to the extent you are able to.  More than a few of us greatly appreciate it.

3/29/2022 9:56 am  #375

Anyone else have coaching search fatigue . How about we get some real news today and then we can start speculating about who stays until that gets tiring.

3/29/2022 10:16 am  #376

Florida Colonial wrote:

Anyone else have coaching search fatigue . How about we get some real news today and then we can start speculating about who stays until that gets tiring.

Absolutely. I think what this shows is that the decision to fire JC was not months in the making like it was with Mojo.

The Parker website says most college HC hires are completed within 10-14 days so we are now past that point. Either it’s been Caputo all along or we went into the search completely unsure of who we wanted to target and so we did as broad a search and interview process as possible.

I am worried that this lengthy process means we have been rejected by our top picks and we’ll settle for some dud like Dave Paulsen.

3/29/2022 10:41 am  #377

GW0509 wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Absolutely. I think what this shows is that the decision to fire JC was not months in the making like it was with Mojo.

The Parker website says most college HC hires are completed within 10-14 days so we are now past that point. Either it’s been Caputo all along or we went into the search completely unsure of who we wanted to target and so we did as broad a search and interview process as possible.

I am worried that this lengthy process means we have been rejected by our top picks and we’ll settle for some dud like Dave Paulsen.

Or it seemed like a done deal for Caputo but the pushback campaign from some insiders caused GW to reevaluate whether it’s the right move (whether or not he eventually gets  the job, my guess is the pushback has slowed down the Caputo train).

3/29/2022 11:11 am  #378

Again, the University has a chance to finally prove that it is serious about putting a winning men's basketball team on the court by bringing in a coach who will give the school a realistic chance of reaching that goal. Let's hope against hope that it has gotten the message. 

3/29/2022 12:03 pm  #379

moneybox wrote:

Again, the University has a chance to finally prove that it is serious about putting a winning men's basketball team on the court by bringing in a coach who will give the school a realistic chance of reaching that goal. Let's hope against hope that it has gotten the message. 

I think that's true, but how do we as message board posters make sure they get that message? I doubt TV for example, or the university president reads this site.

3/29/2022 12:04 pm  #380

Free Quebec wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Or it seemed like a done deal for Caputo but the pushback campaign from some insiders caused GW to reevaluate whether it’s the right move (whether or not he eventually gets the job, my guess is the pushback has slowed down the Caputo train).

You would not be wrong FQ. I might be one of the few who vocalizes it here but I can assure all of you, I am far from the only one who is concerned or displeased here. Not even close. And there are people with far more juice than I have involved. I'm not sure any of it will change anything. GW usually does what it is going to do.

I do want to reiterate that for most of us, this is not so much of anti-Caputo campaign as it is a general displeasure of (1) why JC was let go at this point (2) what is the process of hiring the next coach and who is involved/decision-makers etc., (3) the current level of financial commitment to men's basketball at GW and (4)  the apparent unwillingness of GW to make the improvements necessary to compete in the A-10. 

You will have to trust me when I tell you I was here supporting GW when JC was in elementary school so while very disappointed that JC will not be returning as coach, that is a symptom not a cause of what ails us. Many of these issues that have been brought up for years not just in the last 2 weeks to no avail..

Last edited by GWRising (3/29/2022 12:09 pm)

Board footera