GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2022 5:51 pm  #441

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

So...the school is damned if they hire a coach too quicly and damned if they hire a coach not quickly enough.

Maybe the school is just damned when they don't devote the necessary resources to the basketball program, they terminate coaches without cause, or they spend more money on paying people not to work than they do for the program.

Last edited by GWRising (3/30/2022 5:59 pm)

3/30/2022 6:07 pm  #442

jf wrote:

Rob Jones has excellent MEAC record, not OOC though,perhaps somewhat understandable.
But is MEAC the level we want a successful (league) coach from?

Well apparently we don't want anything to do with Hobbs again and are going to let him go to La Salle.

3/30/2022 6:15 pm  #443

I would sooner go with an AC from a bigger program than a HC from those lower programs.  Not sure why, perhaps for recruiting purposes, but I am no expert.

3/30/2022 6:19 pm  #444

GWRising wrote:

How about Griffin Aldrich at Longwood or Dan Earl at VMI if we are spitballing names?

I saw reports that Earl was going to UT Chat.  Aldrich could definitely be that mystery D1 HC.

3/30/2022 6:28 pm  #445

In 2018 Aldrich was making 150K, so he would probably fall into the GW HC salary structure...sad

3/30/2022 7:03 pm  #446

GWRising wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

So...the school is damned if they hire a coach too quicly and damned if they hire a coach not quickly enough.

Maybe the school is just damned when they don't devote the necessary resources to the basketball program, they terminate coaches without cause, or they spend more money on paying people not to work than they do for the program.

They terminated the coach because his team stunk! Consistently stunk! For 3 years (not 2.5....even if that's how you want to spin it). I agree they make bad decisions. I agree they don't do things right frequently. I agree I would like them to spend more money on basketball. It'd be better if you stopped the sour grapes of JC losing his job (after not performing well). I hope the next coach is good and shows a path towards success.

3/30/2022 7:20 pm  #447

No one is saying JC was the answer. Most people think year 4 should have been make it or break it. When a decision is made the timing will  put us behind the 8 ball attempting to save existing players and recruit quality transfers. The problem continues to be lack of leadership and lack of financial support. If you trust TV or whoever is making the decision to correct the issues good luck to you.

3/30/2022 7:32 pm  #448

2twooed wrote:

No one is saying JC was the answer. Most people think year 4 should have been make it or break it. When a decision is made the timing will put us behind the 8 ball attempting to save existing players and recruit quality transfers. The problem continues to be lack of leadership and lack of financial support. If you trust TV or whoever is making the decision to correct the issues good luck to you.

When JC was fired, the response on Twitter was mostly "Whoa, GW is taking winning seriously...They must have a plan to do something like that!"

Instead it just seems like it was a garden variety coaching search.  There was no plan and at no time was GW taking it "seriously" and considering a coach with a pedigree like a Frank Martin.  Once again we will be rolling the dice on an unproven coach and in all likelihood doing the same thing in 3-4 years.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/30/2022 7:40 pm)

3/31/2022 7:25 am  #449

https://twitter.com/CurryHicksSage/status/1508927910366924805

If this is true Tanya must go ASAP. Squabbling over 100k in this situation is absurd, especially as we're always on the low end of the A10 payscale. 

3/31/2022 7:27 am  #450

I had said a while ago, GW had better do something before it hits 70 degrees again in DC and today is about to there.today. 

I want to see a coaching set of  GW players learning as they do. I would love to see TJ, Mike Hall and JoeMc and Mike Brown spending a year or so working with them running a team-in-game systems. I don't mind getting off the million dollar coach circus. It would be fun again. 

Of course you could complain about recruiting, but I can point to St. Peters or  Gary William's one team that won it all. My feeling is that we have suffered from two basic shortcomings: (1) player development and (2) flexible stratagical thinking from the coach.

Last edited by russianthistle (3/31/2022 7:28 am)

3/31/2022 7:37 am  #451

MG14 wrote:

If this is true Tanya must go ASAP. Squabbling over 100k in this situation is absurd, especially as we're always on the low end of the A10 payscale. 

There is a lot of speculation that somehow becomes the "truth" over twitter. This is a UMass twitter account that truly has no idea. Lots of people are assuming. No way to verify any of it so its not worth getting worked up over.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/31/2022 7:37 am)

3/31/2022 8:02 am  #452

russianthistle wrote:

I want to see a coaching set of  GW players learning as they do. I would love to see TJ, Mike Hall and JoeMc and Mike Brown spending a year or so working with them running a team-in-game systems. I don't mind getting off the million dollar coach circus. It would be fun again. 

You’ll probably see at least TJ and Mike at La Salle if the rumors are true that Hobbs is one of the two finalists there and he gets the job.

I think GW passing him over would be the last straw for the 00’s guys. The school really does not treat its basketball royalty like it should.

3/31/2022 8:06 am  #453

Florida Colonial wrote:

MG14 wrote:

There is a lot of speculation that somehow becomes the "truth" over twitter. This is a UMass twitter account that truly has no idea. Lots of people are assuming. No way to verify any of it so its not worth getting worked up over.

You're right that there is no proof of this being true but, based on what we know about the administration, would it be a surprise if it were true? Sounds on point to me.

3/31/2022 8:12 am  #454

There's no reason this school shouldn't be bringing back Hobbs, and those who want to come with him. And man that would be a selling point for Brayon. That said, I'm less stressed about the timing. We criticize TV a lot, fairly. But she gave us the timeline. Hard to fault her for sticking to it. 

3/31/2022 8:26 am  #455

Something we haven't even thought of. Does Karl Hobbs even want to come back to GW?

3/31/2022 8:47 am  #456

Wow, Karl Hobbs is really a beloved figure here.  It has been a while but I do remember pretty clearly how I was one of the very few people who did not want to see Hobbs fired.  Similar to JC, there were signs that he was turning his program back in the right direction.  When coupling this with his enormous accomplishments at GW, I disagreed vehemently with the decision to fire him.  I railed against firehobbs.com, and complained about people who were naming his possible replacement before he had actually been fired.  I do not recall a lot of people in my corner 11 years ago.  But today, he is "basketball royalty?"  Just amazing. (SMH)

As for the UMASS guys reporting, where the logic breaks down is that if Caputo is the presumed choice of Diaz and Diaz is the CFO, while I am sure he can't unilaterally make the decision to spend an extra $100,000, I would think he has enough influence to make this happen.  And if Chris is his guy, then why wouldn't he want to make this happen? 

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/31/2022 8:48 am)

3/31/2022 8:54 am  #457

Let me also add that I am making an assumption, admittedly perhaps an erroneous one, that this is Diaz's call and not Tanya's.  A few things about that.  First, if this is true, it's a horribly sexist act which begs the question of whether Diaz would be "pulling rank" over a male athletic director.  Second, and most importantly no matter what the circumstances are, TV and MD must learn to work together and not take on the role of adversaries towards one another.  What we don't need is TV winning this decision and MD making life miserable for athletics thereafter.  Or, MD winning this decision and TV feeling undermined and disrespected.  The two are grown adults who must come together and somehow get on the same page.

3/31/2022 9:07 am  #458

Wow, we really have a pretty good case of amnesia here about how KH's last four years went, how the school treated him and how he responded. Him going to LaSalle seems fairly legit inasmuch as it fulfills some enduring wish for vengeance toward the school.
"Low-level area HC" could be Juan Dixon (Coppin), Jason Crafton (UMES), Jim Ferry (UMBC) or Kenny Blakeney (Howard). My bet currently is on the Longwood guy.
Offloading JC as hastily as it now appears must mean the W-L calculus was only a part of the decision, whomever's decision it may have been.

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/31/2022 9:09 am)

3/31/2022 9:18 am  #459

For whatever it is worth, I don't know whether the UMass' guy tweet is entirely accurate. Can't say for sure here but there is definitely something going on given that we are now 17 days into a search leaving fans and players frustrated. It's either that Caputo is the guy and they can't agree on money, that Caputo maybe was the guy but somebody put the brakes on it, or Caputo is out for some reason and GW is scrambling for other choices.  Your guess is as good as mine. What begs the question is it was the opinion of multiple sources 17 days ago that Caputo was the clear choice. If so, why has an announcement not been made? I don't buy the "well Miami was in the NCAA tournament rationale." Caputo is not the HC of Miami. I believe what happened here was GW was going to hire Caputo (and still may) but there was some significant blowback from donors and others that slowed the freight train down.

Last edited by GWRising (3/31/2022 9:27 am)

3/31/2022 9:23 am  #460

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let me also add that I am making an assumption, admittedly perhaps an erroneous one, that this is Diaz's call and not Tanya's.  A few things about that.  First, if this is true, it's a horribly sexist act which begs the question of whether Diaz would be "pulling rank" over a male athletic director.  Second, and most importantly no matter what the circumstances are, TV and MD must learn to work together and not take on the role of adversaries towards one another.  What we don't need is TV winning this decision and MD making life miserable for athletics thereafter.  Or, MD winning this decision and TV feeling undermined and disrespected.  The two are grown adults who must come together and somehow get on the same page.

Two things could be true at once. It could be TV's "decision" within the financial parameters given to her by Diaz which may have eliminated many options. So if you take your kids to Baskin Robins and tell them their choices are limited to vanilla or chocolate, do they really have a "decision" if they don't like or prefer vanilla or chocolate?

Board footera