GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2022 4:50 pm  #501

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Keith -

I will answer the first question. Schools don't like controversy. ML has never had a public defense in response to the allegations set forth in the WAPO. To my knowledge, he and the University are both prohibited from speaking on it due to a settlement agreement. When there is a blank sheet of paper, people will color it in as they see fit. ML can't really defend himself here in a way that will allay enough concerns when there are other candidates. For ML to get a job it will have to be an AD who knows him well and understands what ML is about and also is willing to listen to former players who contradict the WAPO article.

By the way the same question could be asked of Nero, why has he not gotten another AD job?

2. You have to give the fan base something to support. Donations and tickets are a discretionary spend. Build it and they will come mentality. GW has plenty of money if they want.

3/31/2022 5:05 pm  #502

keithgreene wrote:

Two questions:
1. If Mike Lonergan was so poorly and unfairly treated by GW, given his success at GW, why did he not get the Maryland job?
2.  Support?  Where's the SERIOUS $$ support for the men's basketball program from the fan base?  We all give money, but we don't give game-changing MONEY!  We need a rainmaker.

I don't know Keith.  Maybe in your world, nobody ever gets falsely accused or wrongfully convicted.  Maybe ML realistically had to give up his coaching career when he agreed to a gag order on the whole sordid affair in exchange for financial security for himself and his family.  Maybe because he can not by law describe his side of the story, it's very easy for any other school to avoid touching him.  Since he was on Twitter lobbying on behalf of other coaches for the Maryland job, maybe he knew that he had no realistic shot and therefore never applied for the position.

Support?   Sorry but this has become a chicken and egg situation.  What exactly has this program done in the past 6 years that warrants anyone writing a check above and beyond what they presently give?  I was happy to give extra when we were going to the dance and winning the NIT.  Nope, right now, this is not on the fans.  It's on the school.  Make better decisions which includes showing a real commitment to basketball and I would be surprised if both the team's performance and the donations do not both rise.  Just to be clear, I am not even asking to invest/spend along the lines of the very largest spenders in the A10, let alone the major conferences.  But it has to be enough to viably compete within the conference.  Keep in mind that the school has the money; it is choosing not to invest/spend it on this program.  We should all wake up and smell the coffee about this.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/31/2022 5:08 pm)

3/31/2022 5:07 pm  #503

Exactly.. I have donated in these terrible years.. Win and show you are serious about basketball and that $ will go up.. We're not talking difference maker $ but I'm sure there are many like me.. 

I dont live in the area but was thinking of still getting tickets just to support the program.. Not motivated at the moment

3/31/2022 5:08 pm  #504

Gwmayhem -

Let's put it another way. Why would anyone invest in a stock for a company that has gone bust for various reasons 4 times in the past 11 years? 

3/31/2022 5:19 pm  #505

We need an intervention with TV and the board

3/31/2022 7:15 pm  #506

Is Jamion Christian in the running for the job?  That seems like par for the course.  

3/31/2022 8:23 pm  #507

Woj Bomb: It's Caputo

3/31/2022 8:25 pm  #508

3/31/2022 8:33 pm  #509

phew....glad we did something.  Hope the story comes out on why it took soooo long.  Crucial time of year to be fooling around over pennies.

Board footera