GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2022 12:41 am  #21

Re: Chris Caputo to GW!! Caputo and Miami to The Elite 8

Most of the chatter appears to be Caputo to GW.   

If so, great choice.

3/25/2022 8:05 am  #22

My two favorite teams are GW and Drake. Drake hired Darian DeVries in 2019 and he's now 3rd in all time wins at Drake. An absolute homerun hire that has changed everything for the program.

I bring this up because he was at Creighton as an assistant for TWENTY years under both Altman and McDermott. I was really excited when I first heard about Caputo because of the obvious similarities. I think its very obvious that Caputo, like Darian, has been waiting for the perfect opportunity to take the next step in his career. He has been waiting for the right school where he can win a place that he loves. And, if the rumors are true, that school happens to be GW.

Now this of course does not address whether or not he'll be successful. But, I think back to when I fell in love with GW at first sight. The tour guide was discussing admissions and said, “GW wants students that want GW.” To me that meant GW wants students that understand why GW is different (and better) than any other school. I think that premise should be the starting block with any hire. Caputo appears to check my first box.

3/25/2022 11:52 am  #23

Geno wrote:

My two favorite teams are GW and Drake. Drake hired Darian DeVries in 2019 and he's now 3rd in all time wins at Drake. An absolute homerun hire that has changed everything for the program.

I bring this up because he was at Creighton as an assistant for TWENTY years under both Altman and McDermott. I was really excited when I first heard about Caputo because of the obvious similarities. I think its very obvious that Caputo, like Darian, has been waiting for the perfect opportunity to take the next step in his career. He has been waiting for the right school where he can win a place that he loves. And, if the rumors are true, that school happens to be GW.

Now this of course does not address whether or not he'll be successful. But, I think back to when I fell in love with GW at first sight. The tour guide was discussing admissions and said, “GW wants students that want GW.” To me that meant GW wants students that understand why GW is different (and better) than any other school. I think that premise should be the starting block with any hire. Caputo appears to check my first box.

Spot on Geno

3/25/2022 11:28 pm  #24

Chris Caputo and Miami are Elite 8 bound.  Caputo's stifling defense does it again!

Is this delaying a possible GW announcement?

Congrats to Caputo and Miami!

Last edited by The Dude (3/25/2022 11:29 pm)

3/26/2022 11:50 am  #25

I've finally figured it out  ... the Dude is a parody poster.

"America's Greatest Coach"
"Caputo's Defense"

I could go on and on ... I think we are all being punk'd.

3/26/2022 2:06 pm  #26

This pair took a then Colonial league team George Mason To the Final 4

Now  a 10 seed to the Elite 8.

Larranga and Caputo, with George Mason in the Colonial league, won 5 NCAA Tourney games spread over 3 NCAA trips, more wins than GW has in our entire history.

At Miami, the pair have 5 NCAA trips  Three times to the Sweet 16 and now on to the Elite 8.  15-3 in the the ACC in 2013, 13-5 in 2016, 14-6 this year.  One win from a return to the Final 4 

3/26/2022 2:47 pm  #27

It’s clear that the Dude is stuck in adolescence-but on very rare occasions the kid might be onto 
something.If,and I do say if,Caputo is hired I’m on board regardless of the process.Slight preference 
for Becker.

3/27/2022 11:21 am  #28

3/27/2022 12:45 pm  #29

As I mentioned the Dude is straight parody ... go look at Miami's defensive rankings lol.

Here are just a few within the ACC

10th in points allowed overall 70.2
7th in conference

14th in Opponent FG% Overall 47%
14th in Opponent FG% Conference

6th in Opponent 3FG% Overall ,346%
10th in Opponent 3FG% conference

14th in rebounding margin overall - 5.5 per game,

Note to those who aren't interested in parody - GW was better in 3 of the 4 categories.

So if Caputo was in charge of the defense ...

3/27/2022 4:01 pm  #30

GWRising wrote:

As I mentioned the Dude is straight parody ... go look at Miami's defensive rankings lol.

7th in conference

Note to those who aren't interested in parody - GW was better in 3 of the 4 categories.

Miami is clearly known for offense more than defense this year, but you aren’t being fair cherry picking stats or using aggregate state instead of tempo-neutral.

Overall Miami was the #6 most efficient defense in ACC games, which is pretty solid for an offensive team with no rim protection and a personnel group designed to put 5 guys on the perimeter. They’ve also had some very good defenses in the past including a couple in the top 25 most efficient defenses in the country. 

I would be a little worried that playing with a stretch 5 and a small ball 4, with no rebounding or rim protection - like Miami did - could be a real problem for us - but not all Caputo’s teams have been build that way

3/28/2022 9:07 am  #31

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

7th in conference

Miami is clearly known for offense more than defense this year, but you aren’t being fair cherry picking stats or using aggregate state instead of tempo-neutral.

Overall Miami was the #6 most efficient defense in ACC games, which is pretty solid for an offensive team with no rim protection and a personnel group designed to put 5 guys on the perimeter. They’ve also had some very good defenses in the past including a couple in the top 25 most efficient defenses in the country.

I would be a little worried that playing with a stretch 5 and a small ball 4, with no rebounding or rim protection - like Miami did - could be a real problem for us - but not all Caputo’s teams have been build that way

If we are really going to fair about Caputo's defense (if it is in fact really his defense) we should note that the reason their defensive efficiency is better than it otherwise would be is because they turn people over. When they aren't able to turn people over they are abysmal. They weren't really able to turn Kansas over yesterday (11) and as a result Kansas shot 50% from the floor , 35.7% from three and they were outrebounded by 13. These numbers are somewhat consistent with the Kenpom defensive ratings last time I checked - 114th nationally in defense, 271 in rebounding 237 in overall FG% allowed.

The larger point was really a response to the Dude's notion that Caputo is some sort of defensive genius. The numbers don't reflect that. Becker and Williford would be and have proven to be far better on that end.

Last edited by GWRising (3/28/2022 9:09 am)

3/28/2022 9:36 am  #32

I am not channeling the fire dog meme. If anything the opposite. I have no idea who is best/right for GW at this moment. On the court anyone short of Rick Patino is a bag full of question marks. FWIW I think the pandemic and the university's aborted move to stressing STEM and a smaller undergraduate student body means the athletic department is getting very little positive guidance from the top. This is where the small season ticket base and small pool of contributors really hurt IMO. If 1,000s were giving $100-$500 to the buff-and-blue fund Rice Hall would know lots of people were watching. Could I be wrong? I often am.

3/30/2022 6:49 pm  #33

The Miami Defense looked great during 3 NCAA tourney wins as a 10 seed and for a half during their Elite 8 game, until superior talent finally won the day

3/31/2022 11:48 pm  #34

Caputo it is!!!  The early reports were on the money.   Excellent decision all around.  Let the Caputo Era BEGIN!!

Last edited by The Dude (4/01/2022 9:04 pm)

Board footera