GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2022 8:23 pm  #1

GW HIRES CAPUTO

WOJ BOMB
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1509702618788020225?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Last edited by The Ross-Man! (3/31/2022 8:23 pm)

3/31/2022 8:40 pm  #2

Re: GW HIRES CAPUTO

LFG!!!

Time to set aside whatever people were fighting about and get behind our new guy.   Hopefully he’s the real deal and can compete with the Archie Miller and Frank Martins of the league. 

First order up for business is trying to convince B&B to stay. 

Brayon, Bamisile, and Bishop would fit very well into the Moore, Mcgusty, Wong roles if we try to recreate what Miami did this year. It would be a very friendly system on both ends for them.

3/31/2022 8:45 pm  #3

Lets Go!! Hopefully he's been given what he needs

3/31/2022 8:47 pm  #4

3/31/2022 8:50 pm  #5

3/31/2022 9:16 pm  #6

As with the majority of coaches, I know very little about em. He will get my full support and I can’t wait to see what he does. First order of business is to build a coaching staff and keep at least Brayon. Looking forward to seeing what he can do!!

3/31/2022 9:37 pm  #7

Surprisingly, GW appears to have upped its game in hiring Mr. Caputo. Of course, there are no guarantees of success, but I believe the school has taken a positive first step towards that end. Let's hope that the new coach gets the support he needs from the school and the athletic department--financial and otherwise-- to turn the program around.

3/31/2022 9:41 pm  #8

A woj bomb on this seems a bit significant. It makes this a national story, taking an assistant from a national program, and I’d think gives some instant credibility to Caputo from a recruit perspective

3/31/2022 11:08 pm  #9

Good news.
We have a coach who knows about talent not only at our level,but higher.

3/31/2022 11:17 pm  #10

Assuming reports are indeed true,it's time as expressed on another thread,to close ranks and 
support our new coach as he begins his tenure.
   While the glass has been more than half- empty for half a dozen years, this raises long- dormant hope.  We are counting on him to bring us back.
  So in at least one thread,let's simply welcome
incoming Coach Caputo and his family to our GW Colonial family!

3/31/2022 11:47 pm  #11

Fantastic news, great hire!

4/01/2022 6:07 am  #12

Agreed.  Welcome Coach

4/01/2022 6:15 am  #13

Free Quebec wrote:

LFG!!!

Time to set aside whatever people were fighting about and get behind our new guy. Hopefully he’s the real deal and can compete with the Archie Miller and Frank Martins of the league.

First order up for business is trying to convince B&B to stay.

Brayon, Bamisile, and Bishop would fit very well into the Moore, Mcgusty, Wong roles if we try to recreate what Miami did this year. It would be a very friendly system on both ends for them.

100% Let's Get Behind This Guy!! Maybe this board can be nice and kind to each other and others for a day!!!    Sorry I know, I know. Back to us fighting like kids in the back seat (no A/C and with vinyl seats)

4/01/2022 6:27 am  #14

WELCOME TO FOGGY BOTTOM COACH CAPUTO!!

4/01/2022 6:47 am  #15

My big sense of optimism is that Caputo will know the level of talent needed to recruit in order to finish among the top in the A10.  I always felt we were missing that with JC.  I didn’t feel like he set his sights high enough, or couldn’t close on the right talent.

Last edited by JP (4/01/2022 6:48 am)

4/01/2022 7:10 am  #16

Welcome Coach.

Now we have a coach with some Juice, experience recruiting in the DMV, and experience winning tournament games.  

4/01/2022 8:11 am  #17

I thought Woj only broke big NBA news!! Does he have some sort of connection to GW, Caputo/Larranaga or The U? I agree with all of you, its good to have a coach who has had NCAA tournament success as an assistant and knows/ has recruited the D.C. area very well for the past 15 to 20 years

4/01/2022 8:20 am  #18

Woj is a St. Bonaventure grad

4/01/2022 8:21 am  #19

4/01/2022 8:30 am  #20

Woj is a Bonnie so perhaps, also a closeted A10 fan.

Allow me to get the brief snark out of the way:  GW reportedly quibbles over $100,000 in negotiations, but pays $70,000 for a search firm that was 1000% not needed under the circumstances.  As the school is fond of saying, "Only at GW."

Now putting any possibly nefarious details aside, this hire reminds me a lot of the Hobbs hiring.  Right around the same age and experience.  Each top assistants at major programs that have enjoyed success.  Neither had been a head coach in the past.GW seems like a logical landing spot for each.  (Let's not forget that Hobbs had his share of behind-the-scenes supporters too, most notably Dom Perno.)

What is really important going forward is that regardless of how Diaz may have engineered this, none of that should reflect poorly on Caputo.  He didn't ask Diaz to undermine the AD (again, if in fact this is what happened) or otherwise take part in any questionable behavior that enabled him to help get this job.  I have made known my single biggest concern about the hire, that we will again be in this position of looking for a new head coach within four years, and am happy to table that discussion until the time comes (should this be the case).  I do hope he will be asked about the Miami job once Larranaga retires at his press conference but am not holding my breath.  (I would also question the appropriateness of bringing that up at a GW introductory press conference.)

Miami took advantage of a down ACC regular season and then like Duke and UNC, rose to the occasion at the Dance.  They were a lot of fun to watch.  My sense is that CC is an upgrade over JC but things like this will remain to be seen.  

Finally, my hope is that CC asked for and received most if not all of the perks which have been discussed here.  His base salary, if $750,000 is correct, is still on the very low end among A10 conference.  However, if this was in exchange for GW agreeing to higher assistant salaries, construction of a practice facility, more charters, etc., I would feel much happier about things.  

Board footera