GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2022 1:05 pm  #41

4/02/2022 2:51 pm  #42

Re: GW HIRES CAPUTO

Forgetting the number of Pinochios contained in the press release, it is still great read, even if only half the stuff is true.   Even with who I considered the two best players on the team, Bamisile and Freemanl both being in the transfer portal, can't help still feeling that this was the right move, certainly long term but hopeully sooner than that.   I am officially excited for the next season, but the next few weeks could be very telling.as to how quicly help is on the way.   As I was discussing with Free Quebec, a starting backcourt of Bishop and Harris, front court of Dean, Keegan Harvey and 2 star recruit forward Jabari West, with a bench of Brown, Samuels and Nixon, does not having me clearing travel dates for next March.

4/02/2022 3:53 pm  #43

https://twitter.com/_Michaelinho/status/1510342528528269312
Judging by the amount of texts I’ve gotten, Chris knows EVERYBODY and they all have great things to say about him. Let’s get it! #RaiseHigh

4/02/2022 5:07 pm  #44

If mike is on board, so am I!

4/02/2022 8:33 pm  #45

Miami Heat approve  
       [color=inherit]Ira Winderman[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat]@IraHeatBeat Spoelstra says he is “thrilled” Hurricanes assistant Chris Caputo for getting George Washington job.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/02/2022 8:34 pm)

4/03/2022 11:24 am  #46

danjsport wrote:

This is the correct take. Now hoping he'll get Mike on staff.

4/03/2022 11:41 am  #47

Mentzinger wrote:

danjsport wrote:

This is the correct take. Now hoping he'll get Mike on staff.

The sixers drafted andre iguoudala and mike told me that was gonna be an amazing pick. He was right. Since, anything mike says must be right!

4/03/2022 2:54 pm  #48

Little late to the game here, but just wanted to throw my two cents in about how excited I am for this hire. Now we've all been through this three previous times, so we know not to get our hopes up, but Caputo seems to be a great hire. Great credentials, familiar with the local scene, extensive experience under a legend in Jim Larranaga, I am really happy about this.

I want to see some Xs and Os next year and some forking rebounding.

4/03/2022 2:55 pm  #49

When is Caputo's press conference?

4/03/2022 4:18 pm  #50

Here are Eric Spoelstra's comments about Caputo

https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/1510389612732162053?s=20&t=4nkeYvXFTI8R1ZEK2jseGQ        [color=inherit]Tim Reynolds[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds]@ByTimReynolds·22h Spo on Chris Caputo, and his readiness to take over at George Washington:  

4/04/2022 7:31 pm  #51

4/05/2022 7:14 am  #52

I listened to the podcast.  They don’t talk much about GW, but he was very enjoyable to listen to.  Most of the podcast is about his time at George mason and the final four - but he talks a lot about basketball in a very detailed way that we haven’t heard from any coach in 6 years. 

Paraphrasing:

At point they were talking about philosophy and he says the most basic thing whatever style you play, even UVA’s pack line defense, you have to guard the hell out of the ball at the point of the attack, and you have to get good high quality shots.  But then he says within that, Larranaga adapts to his personnel and the opponent, rather than trying to play the same way all the time line a jim Calhoun. He even talks about how a change they made on offense and defense midway through the season the year they went to the final 4. 

They only get to GW briefly at the end, and he talks about day 1 getting in the gym with the guys and starting to work on player retention and portal recruiting. They spend more time talking about his familiarity with DC.

Sounds like Gottlieb wants him to come back for a part 2 to discuss Miami since they didn’t even really talk about this season at all.  Maybe there’ll be more GW talk in that one. 

At any rate, I came away from the interview impressed and listening to him talk and tell stories, it’s easy to see why he’s so well respected among coaches.  If his recruiting can match his Xs and Os knowledge, I’m hopeful we have the right guy.

4/05/2022 8:42 am  #53

Free, I listened to the same podcast and came away with the same impression that you did. The one thing I would add is that he said in any defense you have to get back on defense not letting the ball beat you down the court. I think he will emphasize that to his players so we will not see the lay-up drill that was masquerading as the A-10 tournament game against UMASS. 

4/05/2022 9:17 am  #54

Definitely a coachs' coach.

4/05/2022 9:35 am  #55

Listened as well.  Can't help but like the guy.  

I sense that whether he keeps existing players or not, he'll be able to recruit effectively out of the transfer portal.

4/05/2022 10:41 am  #56

When is GW going to hold its press conference with Caputo? Hard to believe they hired him on what Friday and they haven't even bothered having the presser yet. Other schools do it the next business day.

4/05/2022 10:43 am  #57

Alum '04 wrote:

When is GW going to hold its press conference with Caputo? Hard to believe they hired him on what Friday and they haven't even bothered having the presser yet. Other schools do it the next business day.

He’s at the final 4.  Probably happen soon after he’s back in dc.

4/05/2022 10:52 am  #58

The GW MBB Twitter account posted a few pictures of him at his first practice with the team yesterday (https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1511071846606721029?s=20&t=5vgWxB2M_iN_6Ba6L_csgg)), so it seems like he's in DC. I saw someone float the idea that they might be waiting until he hires a staff to introduce them together but hopefully the press conference comes soon

4/05/2022 10:53 am  #59

LA Colonial wrote:

Free, I listened to the same podcast and came away with the same impression that you did. The one thing I would add is that he said in any defense you have to get back on defense not letting the ball beat you down the court. I think he will emphasize that to his players so we will not see the lay-up drill that was masquerading as the A-10 tournament game against UMASS. 

Other thing he said was that if you are turning it over, it’s a bad offense.

4/05/2022 1:40 pm  #60

BM wrote:

Definitely a coachs' coach.

Haven't listened, but this sorely needed point by BM, as well as the reports by Free Quebec, LA Colonial,
BGF and others here certainly give us a chance to have real world positivity, as opposed to the pie in
the sky we have not enjoyed.
    Really like the CC point about instead of sticking with doctrine that doesn't work, adapting strategy to the team you have. ML did this, particularly with the zone, and so did Hobbs and Jarvis, who also constructed their teams
to meet their philosophies.

Board footera