GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2022 5:10 pm  #1

Good Scheduling Idea

5/04/2022 5:41 pm  #2

Re: Good Scheduling Idea

This is a great idea. I don’t see any downside for the A10 to jump in and do something like this. And as a GW fan, it would be great to get some new non-conference opponents that are of similar talent level. Less complaining about the OOC in November-December as well!

5/04/2022 6:22 pm  #3

ColonialNY wrote:

This is a great idea. I don’t see any downside for the A10 to jump in and do something like this. And as a GW fan, it would be great to get some new non-conference opponents that are of similar talent level. Less complaining about the OOC in November-December as well!

EVERY DAY! With NIL, gambling, wide open transferring etc, THIS is one thing for fans. Really like the home and home aspect.

Last edited by FredD (5/04/2022 6:22 pm)

5/05/2022 9:09 am  #4

I like how this was referenced in the article:  bracket busters on steroids.  Great for the fans, but not so great in that it's another mechanism to separate the Power 6 schools from everyone else.

I sense where we are heading is a split within D1.  Those with ample NIL money to compete for the better players and those who are not going to be in a position to pay for play.     You can certainly foresee maybe 20-30 or so non Power 6 schools joining the NIL group...Gonzaga, Memphis, Houston and even within the A10, Dayton, SLU and VCU come to mind.  I agree with Frischilla in that those are the schools that will be competing for a national championship.  GW will be part of a group that competes for an NIT or some other lower-level championship.  I suspect that each will remain separate meaning that Vermont will not be making its way to the big dance even if it wins its conference and that say Maryland would be ineligible for the less regarded tournament if they fail to qualify for the big one.

5/05/2022 11:44 am  #5

Lost in these speculative discussions about the future of NCAA sports and tournaments is the dichotomy between programs with major football programs and those like the A10 schools mentioned who do not. Also, where do the so-called non-revenue sports fit into this NCAA/NIL future? Don’t begin to know where this is going but doubt that it’s as straight forward as who has big “legal” booster money behind it and which schools can’t generate or sustain such support. Uncharted territory that isn’t likely to benefit schools like GW. High schools seem to have adapted to and accepted divisional classifications. Suppose a 2A state championship is as worth celebrating as one for a school competing as a 6A. The charm of Final Four runs by schools like Mason and Saint Joseph’s will be relegated to movies celebrating the time-honored picket fence play.

5/05/2022 5:21 pm  #6

The picket fence play scenario is alas at least seeming more likely. And very well expressed by Poog.
  I would say, however, that it could be a big mistake by the NCAA. While mistakes, hypocrisy and craven cash grabs are the specialty of the house, they may be making a mistake on their biggest cash cow.
  People love an underdog. So this year's run by St. Peter's, the huge upsets, and the Sister Jean thing with new A-10 members Loyola-Chicago capture the imagination of a lot of people. And fuel the popular thought
that The Tournament isn't largely fixed in favor of big schools, even though it is.
   Part of the appear of alleged "March Madness" is that it draws a wide audience of non-college basketball fans and is part of the national conversation. Limiting this to the big schools will damage this brand that gives such an evil group as the NCAA it's popularity.
   So, perhaps they will realize it's in their self-interest to keep lesser teams in their already fairly-rigged
tournament. Part of their brand is the magic that comes from having a wide variety of teams.
   Fairness won't matter to the big schools that control the NCAA, but self-interest certainly
does.

Board footera