GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2022 6:12 pm  #1

Great News for GW Athletics

Figured this was the best place to put this since men’s basketball has the biggest following here. Michelle Rubin was just elected to serve on the GW Board of Trustees. Michelle has been a huge booster of GW athletics serving as the chair of the Athletic Advisory Council and the annual sponsor of a Buff and Blue Fund Challenge. She may be one voice but we can count on Michelle being a strong one in defense and support as well as understanding of the important role of athletics in the life of the university. She may not carry the day on all matters related to sports at GW as she is equally committed to the university, but there should be no worries that athletics needs will go without a champion in the deliberations of the Trustees. Congrats Michelle!

5/17/2022 6:31 pm  #2

Re: Great News for GW Athletics

I was actually going to ask the board if this was a good thing for us knuckleheads.  Glad to hear it!

5/17/2022 7:17 pm  #3

Thanks for the news, info, and explanation Poog.

5/18/2022 8:48 am  #4

I'd say this is very significant news (thanks Poog for reporting it).  Unlike the case at many schools, athletic issues do run the risk of being neglected or undermined at GW.  While he wasn't a member of the Board, we haven't had this level of administrative support in our corner since Dr. Chernak.   No way to know for sure that this will be a good thing but it certainly can't end up being a bad thing.  I'd also add that whether you approved or disapproved of Mark Diaz's possible tactics in dismissing JC and bringing in CC, one conclusion that can be made is that assuming what's been raised here was true, he does care quite a bit about the success of the men's basketball program.  Given the precarious state of things, we should gladly accept passion over apathy among the powers that be.

5/18/2022 4:38 pm  #5

Gwmayhem wrote:

I'd say this is very significant news (thanks Poog for reporting it).  Unlike the case at many schools, athletic issues do run the risk of being neglected or undermined at GW.  While he wasn't a member of the Board, we haven't had this level of administrative support in our corner since Dr. Chernak.   No way to know for sure that this will be a good thing but it certainly can't end up being a bad thing.  I'd also add that whether you approved or disapproved of Mark Diaz's possible tactics in dismissing JC and bringing in CC, one conclusion that can be made is that assuming what's been raised here was true, he does care quite a bit about the success of the men's basketball program.  Given the precarious state of things, we should gladly accept passion over apathy among the powers that be.

Mayhem My Man! I hope you are right. Call it support, visibility, culture change. Folks in elevated positions that factor in athletics in the bigger picture is significant.

5/18/2022 6:19 pm  #6

Michelle was a clasmate of mine and has been very active in supporting GW teams since graduating. My guess is this will put pressure on GW to have more teams make more trips to California (where she lives). 

Board footera