GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2022 8:34 am  #1

What if the new coaches went back to recruiting HS prospects?

With the feeding frenzy for players in the transfer portal, is it possible that CC is looking to building a solid first year class? I am wondering if there are many prospects out there who fit the bill. Use this year to coach up the bigs and get what we can out of the returning players and build the base for the program beyond 22-23. If you are  going to get a year to build something fresh, it would be this one.

5/13/2022 10:00 am  #2

Re: What if the new coaches went back to recruiting HS prospects?

I’ve been thinking of this as well that there might be some untapped potential in the remaining ‘22 class. Our relative low profile on social media makes it hard to see how aggressive we’ve been.

Obviously we missed out on the Diaz Twins (or for us maybe a singular Diaz twin). The other name that’s out there that we had interest in pre-JC firing is RJ Luis from Mt Zion Prep. He’s supposedly taking a visit to UMass which incredibly keeps finding ways to get kids to transfer out to open up scholarships. I swear Frank Martin has now surpassed JC at being able to completely turnover a roster in a single off-season. I do wonder how Frank’s reputation will be after this season because not all these kids are going to get playing time.

I can’t remember which AC it was but one is following Amarr Knox who at one point was committed to Memphis.

We very well could also be looking at some international players that take more time to get cleared administratively.

I guess all that’s to say “who knows” given the radio silence coming from the staff.

Last edited by GW0509 (5/13/2022 10:03 am)

5/13/2022 10:01 am  #3

Two sets of comments, one set general and one set specific.

The general comment is that the pickings are slim in mid-May, particularly for high school players who by and large have already made their fall plans.  The transfer portal, with its May 1 deadline for entrance, offers some hope.  But by and large, this is what happens after a coaching change.  The new coach largely inherits a roster that is not comprised of his own recruits.  Many will end up leaving after a season if they find that they either clash with the new staff or are not well suited to play a particular style.  2022-23 will be a "take what we can get" type of season.  And, if you would like to watch an even somewhat competitive team next season, you had best hope that James Bishop returns to the team.  (He may not be NBA ready but G-League and overseass possibilities are not out of the question.)

The specific comments have to do with the current perceptions of our program at this point in time.  If you are a recruit,  a family member of a recruit, or a coach or advisor of a recruit, and you've been paying attention, then you would have noticed most if not all of the following:

GW wins the NIT but shortly thereafter, verbal abuse allegations are levied against the head coach

The Washington Post misrepresents GW's high transfer rate under its coach (which wasn't egregiously higher than many other programs) but also supports several players' and one former employee's accounts of these abuse allegations 

The coach with alleged abuse allegations is nevertheless permitted to take his team on a scheduled trip to Japan, where he coaches the team in several exhibition games.  Simultaneously, behind the scenes, the coach takes the role of "whistleblower" against the school's athletic director.

The coach loses his job, and his power struggle against the athletic director, in exchange for a financial settlement which is reported by unofficial sources to be in the $2-3 million dollar range.  This settlement is agreed upon the night before the coach was to proceed with a wrongful termination lawsuit.

While the three remaining Assistant Coaches all retain their jobs and express their interest in being named the school's interim head coach, the youngest and least experienced member of the staff is named to the position.  After one season, the athletic director decides to extend the head coach's contract and remove the interim title.

With a new university president on board, an internal investigation on the athletic director results in his resignation.

11 months later, Deadspin publishes a meticulously detailed article which unearths a number of serious transgressions on the part of the school's athletic director, actions which would understandably result in the coach having complained.

The athletic director's assistant is named to replace her old boss.  Two unsuccessful seasons later, the basketball staff is terminated and a new coach is signed to a five year contract.  

Through three seasons under the new coach, the progress all had hoped for was not realized.  Transfer rates within the team likely reached an alltime high, aided by new lax rules regarding the abilities to transfer without sitting out a year, and an extra year of player eligibility made possible thanks to Covid.  The coaching staff was released with two full years remaining on their contracts.

With a new coach hired, GW would have its 4th head coach in the last 8 seasons.

While I'm sure this was an unnecessary rehash for most to read, I took the time of writing it out to illustrate the totality of what this program has been through over the past 6 years, and specifically what perceptions of our program might look like to the outside world right now.  Some recruits might be able to overlook a thing or two, and hopefully, there are many who will not care about the past at all and are only focused on the future.  That's great if we land enough of these players.

But as we sit around wondering why we're not signing any new players, please understand the clusterfuck that CC is up against.  This is not just one or two things.  This is a deep hole that frankly, JC's positivity could not climb us out of.  CC will likely bring a different approach and one that we all hope will ultimately be successful.  Until then, remember that we are not only dealing with my general comments that virtually all first-year coaches must endure, but also with a whole lot of specific, cumulative trash that must be overcome.  Not an enviable position as far as I'm concerned.

5/13/2022 10:22 am  #4

With all due respect Mayhem I don’t think kids care one bit about the past 5 years and probably haven’t even read the Deadspin article, know we won the NIT, or know who Mike Lonergan is. They care about probably 3 things

1. NIL $
2. The highest level offer they can get
3. Playing Time
Mayyyybe 4 being campus atmosphere which could somewhat touch on your post given how dead the Smith Center is most nights.

UMass would’ve been an irrelevant program to any kid in college basketball but look at how Frank Martin has been able to sign kids left and right. Somehow Bryant has become a “brand” for transfers under Grasso even though by all measures no player of consequence should waste their time in the NEC.

GW by virtue of being in the A10 should always be able to attract transfers looking for PT.

I believe a good coach can get kids to come to any school regardless of how messed up the school is if they can offer PT and sell the shit out of their coaching abilities. I believe Mojo probably did have a hard time recruiting his first season because of the interim tag, but from JC on, the whole Lonergan Nero feud is nothing but a lame excuse (again, with the exception of how a dead SC appears to recruits visiting campus).

FWIW, I think ML was extremely lucky to have coached in the pre-portal era. Back then, when someone transferred they had to weigh the cost of sitting out a year. I highly doubt we would’ve had such a veteran squad in 15-16 had players been allowed to leave without consequence.

Last edited by GW0509 (5/13/2022 10:25 am)

5/13/2022 11:24 am  #5

GW0509, there's just no way to truly get at how large or small a factor (or if a non-factor) the program's recent past has been or may be.  While I agree with your assessment from a player's perspective, it's also OK to value all of these things while still feeling a bit spooked by the revolving door that our last 3 coaches have gone through.  Moreover, what level of concern do the adults have, the parents and AAU/HS coaches and advisors have, regarding GW since the NIT Championship?  Even if folks aren't talking about these things does not mean these issues are not crossing their minds of the influencers who matter.  Yes, I agree that a prominent coach with a persuasive personality like Frank Martin should be able to overcome this.  Let's hope that CC falls into this category.

5/13/2022 11:28 am  #6

About $3 million payout.
Frank Martin is selling smoke and overrecruiting. We'll see if it works, but as pointed out, there are 
going to be a good amount of players who recruit going to the isolated UMass campus as they emjoy
the feeling of pine on their posterior..
   Normally, yes, HS recruits would be slim in May. But with all this turbulence and
players not committing early, there might be a few out there.
  In any case, JC's strategy, focusing mainly on transfers, didn't work at all. It may be a better
bet in today's environment. But it needs to be a fit.
  But we need good HS commits, not just someone who didn't like the fit at their old school (though
good ones are plenty welcome!). JC had maybe two good HS recruits who could start in their first
2 years (Noel may yet come along), turned one off and didn't immediately recognize the talent of the second one. Meanwhile, he largely struck out in the freshman recruiting.
   Coach Caputo can and hopefully will change that and build a culture, that will endure for awhile.
To the extent that it is possible in today's environment,

5/13/2022 12:50 pm  #7

The Coach abusing but the players was used against GW in recruiting for years

There's a reason that Coach remains out of the sport 7 seasons later

I don't understand the panic about transfers, didn't we sign the entire transfer class including JoeBam last June? we're not even at the halfway point of May yet

Last edited by The Dude (5/13/2022 3:23 pm)

5/13/2022 5:15 pm  #8

Transfer recruiting success last season: Two words --- Iowa State.
I am not saying we can easily be a 2021-22 Iowa State team next season, but what the Cyclones did last season, losing transfers from a 2-22 team and then bringingl transfers to become a 22-13 team, losing to Miami in the Round of 16 shows a new coach can get transfers and make a difference in one year.  As I said, it is unrealistic to think we could have an Iowa State turn around next season, but let's not believe we can't be better than any of JC's three years. CC has to know he needs to recruit transfers every year. That's the way college basketball is today.

5/15/2022 11:13 am  #9

As you all know, recruiting quality players for GW men's basketball has always been difficult. And GWmayhem has also reminded us that the school and athletic department --through bumbling, ineptitude, and worse-- have made the current recruiting/transfer situation more problematic. Losing seasons, poor TV, radio, and newspaper coverage, small field house, and dwindling attendance make Coach Caputo's job even more difficult. I like the new coach very much and it looks like he has assembled a top-notch staff. Only time will tell if he can turn around what has in recent years been a debacle. Let's hope!

5/17/2022 4:43 am  #10

Hey, Iowa State went to the Sweet 16 with an all-transfer team and won their first 16 games of the season!
(LOLOLOLOLOL)

5/17/2022 9:06 am  #11

Iowa State did have a Top 50 freshman point guard, but all of its other rotation players were transfers.  And, their 22-13 record would likely have been even better had they played in any other conference than the Big 12.

5/17/2022 3:00 pm  #12

Crazy thing about Iowa St is Hasan Ward from VCU transferred there.  I thought it was a brilliant pickup for them to finally get a reliable, athletic post player.

Then they just signed Osun Osunnyi from St Bonnie.

No idea how these two guys share the floor or if both will see reduced PT.  It’s possible you could play them together, but not sure how well that will work.

5/21/2022 5:32 pm  #13

GW0509 wrote:

The other name that’s out there that we had interest in pre-JC firing is RJ Luis from Mt Zion Prep. He’s supposedly taking a visit to UMass which incredibly keeps finding ways to get kids to transfer out to open up scholarships. I swear Frank Martin has now surpassed JC at being able to completely turnover a roster in a single off-season. I do wonder how Frank’s reputation will be after this season because not all these kids are going to get playing time.

Commits to UMass.  Pretty soon Frank is going to have to start kicking out kids he got to transfer in back in March.

5/21/2022 9:49 pm  #14

He can't keep getting away with this!!

5/21/2022 10:40 pm  #15

Wonder how he's selling this?

5/22/2022 11:17 am  #16

I'm assuming Frank Martin is telling these guys that he coached in the SEC, Big 12 and made a Final 4, that's how he's selling himself. That stuff probably works very well initially for a big-name coach who goes down a level. F.Martin also got high scoring guard Noah Fernandes to return. I'm interested to see where UMass is projected to finish this year with all the newcomers. Down below is UMass' scholarship chart, they've ran off a bunch of guys in recent years and had 2 or 3 guys graduate from last year's team, which explains all the openings

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/massachusetts  

5/22/2022 1:23 pm  #17

Thomas wrote:

I'm assuming Frank Martin is telling these guys that he coached in the SEC, Big 12 and made a Final 4, that's how he's selling himself. That stuff probably works very well initially for a big-name coach who goes down a level. F.Martin also got high scoring guard Noah Fernandes to return. I'm interested to see where UMass is projected to finish this year with all the newcomers. Down below is UMass' scholarship chart, they've ran off a bunch of guys in recent years and had 2 or 3 guys graduate from last year's team, which explains all the openings

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/massachusetts  

I think what I'm most interested in is how Frank's able to sell the school when clearly there won't be playing time for everybody.  In this transfer portal era, freshman are transferring even when they are averaging 10+ minutes per game.  In the JC era it was a given that the entire bench would transfer out at season's end. 

On UMass, Luis will be lucky to crack non-garbage time minutes. Looking at their G Depth Chart, I'd say he's probably behind:
Fernandez
Diggins
Thompson
CJ Kelly
TJ Weeks
McCrory

Unless Frank has cracked the code of getting a kid to stick around for a few years to develop, I see Luis playing somewhere else in 2023. 

Board footera