GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2019 5:57 pm  #41

Re: GW vs BU Game Thread

Gwmayhem - I guess what I am saying is yes wins have value but in my mind not as much as building a solid foundation for the future.In other words, I am willing to sacrifice a few wins for a stronger future foundation. The two (wins vs. process) may or may not be mutually exclusive for this program. For example, if JC wants JNJr to develop that may mean living through some stretches where he is a turnover king. Now JC might want to take him out of the game (to win) but maybe JC wants him to play through them so that he grows out of those stretches (but ultimately lose a game or two because of it). In year 1 or 2 of building a program that isn't ready to compete for the postseason, I know which way I would lean. The only point I am making is that when people say they don't care about wins/losses they often mean it in this context. Assuming that every poster who says that is a GW fan, no one is going to turn down any wins. It's just that we have to get focused on the longer term right now because the short term will be bumpy.

As for Mojo, the wins were really a mirage. And yes, people besides the AD bought into that because they wanted Mojo to succeed or they wanted the program to continue to show Lonergan wasn't that critical. There were a whole host of people with different reasons who thought Mojo was the answer both in and out of the Administration. People may have amnesia now but that's what was said then.

Last edited by GWRising (12/05/2019 5:58 pm)

12/05/2019 6:01 pm  #42

BM wrote:

Didn't note that Javi also took the high inbounds pass on that last play

https://twitter.com/PatrickQuinn07/status/1202503386215723011?s=20

The other thing about the final play - though you can’t see it from this angle - is that Battle was WIDE OPEN in the corner and calling for it for several seconds,  but potter didn’t see him or couldn’t make that pass.  It’s actually shocking they would leave battle like that (and that we weren’t trying to get it to him).

You can see it at the video here:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401170160

12/05/2019 6:11 pm  #43

Good spot FQ.  
Helluva fun buzzer beater though, The Smith was pretty LIT for it!

12/05/2019 7:03 pm  #44

Agreed, it's definitely about process right now and you can tell it's moving in the right direction by the body language of the players. They play all 40 minutes, they have bounce to their steps and they're fun to watch again. 

However, wins, especially gritty ones, do help.This one felt like the win we pulled out at James Madison in 2012 with ML's first recruiting class. Looking back, it was blip on the radar but at the time it felt like we took down a number one seed in the tourney. Sure enough, the program's success compounded after that win and we were knocking at the door of a second round NCAA birth a year later. 

Last edited by fungerhall (12/05/2019 7:03 pm)

12/05/2019 7:07 pm  #45

Board footera