GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2022 6:11 pm  #1

Diaz Steps Down

With announcement that Mark Diaz is leaving GW at the end of June, wonder what impact that will have on “promises” made to Caputo and Vogel about resources for MBB and athletics in general. Never a dull moment.

5/31/2022 7:10 pm  #2

Re: Diaz Steps Down

As the world turns…

Wonder if this means GWRising would feel comfortable coming back and trying to make inroads with the CC regime?

5/31/2022 10:14 pm  #3

This is really good news for GWU and GW sports!

6/01/2022 8:15 am  #4

Coincidence?  I think not.

While there is validity to Poog's question, I think any negative answer would need to be offset against a structure where the athletic director would feel undermined.  It's one thing for an AD and a CFO to work together but this wasn't that.  My guess is that the school got to the bottom of what really happened, namely the CFO pulling a power play, and it did not sit very well.  Am left to wonder whether Rising and a few others had a role in shaping this week's announcement.

6/01/2022 9:14 am  #5

Gwmayhem wrote:

While there is validity to Poog's question, I think any negative answer would need to be offset against a structure where the athletic director would feel undermined.  It's one thing for an AD and a CFO to work together but this wasn't that.  My guess is that the school got to the bottom of what really happened, namely the CFO pulling a power play, and it did not sit very well.  Am left to wonder whether Rising and a few others had a role in shaping this week's announcement.

With all due respect to speculation about GWRising, very doubtful he orchestrated, or had any interest or influence to orchestrate, the departure of Diaz. Happy about it? I would suspect so. More likely, the LeBlanc crew including Diaz and Cissy Petty, moved on with their careers/lives since the President who brought them to GW had departed. Also, not fully buying into the AD/CFO tension being portrayed here. All good subordinates have to be mindful of their chain of command. Just as likely to simply be a factor or a consideration in any decisions being made rather than a bald power play. Regardless, Diaz is soon to be put in the past along with Lou Katz.

6/01/2022 9:48 am  #6

Poog wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

With all due respect to speculation about GWRising, very doubtful he orchestrated, or had any interest or influence to orchestrate, the departure of Diaz. Happy about it? I would suspect so. More likely, the LeBlanc crew including Diaz and Cissy Petty, moved on with their careers/lives since the President who brought them to GW had departed. Also, not fully buying into the AD/CFO tension being portrayed here. All good subordinates have to be mindful of their chain of command. Just as likely to simply be a factor or a consideration in any decisions being made rather than a bald power play. Regardless, Diaz is soon to be put in the past along with Lou Katz.

While I really have no idea as to what if any role Rising may have played in this, I do feel very confident that Caputo's hiring was a done deal from the start.  There were too many outlets (granted internet-crap, but still) indicating exactly this.  So either several people went out of their way to report this, practically starting the moment JC was released as a bold prediction hoping they'd be right, or some information was definitely leaked.  Am very convinced that TV was told to hire CC, far more than a suggestion to interview.

6/01/2022 9:53 am  #7

Rising wasn't even a GW alum.. I think people are way overestimating him.. 

6/01/2022 11:36 am  #8

Ah yes. I am sure that sports were the main focus of the top financial official at the University (which is also the District´s largest private landholder). And his decision to stay or go was centered on who coaches the basketball team. And the timing proves a conspiracy to undermine/raise the profile of sports on campus.
Or, a new University president comes in and people in positions of confidence of the prior office holder move on and sports, the AD, the coaches and the losing record last season had nothing to do with any of it.

6/01/2022 1:29 pm  #9

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Ah yes. I am sure that sports were the main focus of the top financial official at the University (which is also the District´s largest private landholder). And his decision to stay or go was centered on who coaches the basketball team. And the timing proves a conspiracy to undermine/raise the profile of sports on campus.
Or, a new University president comes in and people in positions of confidence of the prior office holder move on and sports, the AD, the coaches and the losing record last season had nothing to do with any of it.

The Hatchet article probbaly got it right GWAA.  Diaz is leaving because he completed everything he set out to do at GW over the four years he was here.  Makes you wonder what his predecessor, Lou Katz, was doing for the prior 27 years as the school's CFO.

6/01/2022 1:33 pm  #10

Started writing a long thread, which disappeared when I moved to check something.
But 1) Guess anything is possible. But GWAA and Poog suggest way more realistic or likely scenarios.
2) Anyone notice the level of civility here has improved since the Caputo hiring?

6/01/2022 5:33 pm  #11

GW0509 wrote:

As the world turns…

Wonder if this means GWRising would feel comfortable coming back and trying to make inroads with the CC regime?

The short answer is likely.

The long answer is while I will not claim any direct responsibility for the departure of Diaz, let's just emphatically say that justice was done. Others with far more influence than me but of a similar mind likely influenced some things. There were apparently other issues to which I was not privy to at play as well. All I can say is good riddance! Too bad it came a day late and a dollar short for JC.

Let's further say that I have now met with and spoken at length with Coach Caputo. I think he understands that my anger was not directed at him or the team but rather at the situation and how it unfolded. We are continuing to talk and I'd imagine there will be continuing rapprochement here now that the major obstacle for me has been removed. The fact that I am back on here should tell you that I am strongly considering it.

Last edited by GWRising (6/01/2022 5:36 pm)

6/01/2022 5:34 pm  #12

Florida Colonial wrote:

Rising is a GW alum lol. Not an undergraduate alum. But yes I am often overestimated here.

Last edited by GWRising (6/01/2022 5:34 pm)

6/01/2022 6:14 pm  #13

My apologies GWRising.  Was not meant to be a personal attack and I’m stand corrected on your alum status.  Welcome back

6/01/2022 6:39 pm  #14

GWRising wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Rising is a GW alum lol. Not an undergraduate alum. But yes I am often overestimated here.

I also believed you had stated you weren't an alum. Glad you're back either way. Regardless of where or why things happened, we can all agree (I think) that we hope GW can succeed with Caputo. 

6/01/2022 8:13 pm  #15

I know Mark Diaz -trust me-his leaving had nothing to do with the AD in any way,shape or form.
It had nothing to do with justice being done.I’m a big fan of Rising ,but he doesn’t have all the information
at least on this topic.

6/02/2022 9:19 am  #16

GW69, a rule of thumb that I go by here is to ignore anyone who suggests that they have the real story, or that someone else does not have the complete story, if they are unwilling to share it here.  So if you know something that sheds some light on this, please share.  And if you can't or won't, then it's really not worth pointing out that you are in the know.

While I understand that message boards by their very nature are subject to lies, half-truths, or other misguided opinions disguised as facts, I am really at a loss to explain the ostrich-like reactions of some here.  It's as if it would be impossible for anything to be out of line or going wrong behind the scenes of this program in the minds of some of you.  No matter what is presented, the response is along the lines of "nothing to see here."

When the Mike Lonergan news first broke, a debate between "he needs to go" and "we need to know more about this situation" evolved.  In time, reports were made that Patrick Nero was involved in a number of incredulous acts which prompted ML to lose his shit and blow the whistle on his boss.  Even after Nero abruptly resigned and the Deadspin article surfaced, complete with anecdotes and video, there were still some here who were convinced that the video was bogus and that Nero was being framed.  

Fast foward to Mr. Diaz's resignation.  There were internet reports, several in fact, which proclaimed that CC would be the next GW coach immediately upon JC's release.  In some cases, it was pointed out that he was the behind the scenes choice all along.  Then GWRising, who simply can not be denied as a reliable source of information pertaining to this program, whether you find yourself frequently agreeing or disagreeing with him, expressed his outrage over how things went down.  To summarize (and Rising should feel free to correct me if I am misrepresenting anything) Diaz pulled a power play in making sure that JC would not be retained for another season and that CC would become the next head coach.  Some of you maintain that it does not matter how we got here as long as we now have an excellent head coach.  While I understand this sentiment, I can't agree with it.  How we got there does matter.  I believe that JC showed enough in Season 3 to warrant a 4th season, and it was therefore unfair to him and his family to be released under these circumstances.  It was potentially unfair to TV if either: a) she wanted to retain JC or b) she wanted full autonomy over the coaching search. 

Yet even if you are of the mindset that everything that happened was just business and more than fair, which is certainly one's prerogative, how can you view this week's news as unrelated to anything having to do with the basketball program?  Mr. Diaz's sudden decision to resign is about as subtle as Mr. Nero's decision was to resign.  It ought to be very clear that word over how everything went down, from the decision to release JC to the decision to hire CC, was brought to the attention of GW representatives with influence.  Not the decisions themselves but HOW the school came to its decisions.  It probbaly didn't help Mr. Diaz that he strong-armed a female athletic director to get what he wanted.  (No, it should not matter any more that TV is female but the optics arguably make this look worse than if this had happened to a male AD.)

Within a matter of weeks, Mark Diaz has decided to resign after spending just 4 years at GW.  The reporting was that he accomplished everything he set out to accomplish (cynically, perhaps this is true).  And some of you will still maintain that all that transpired with the basketball program, and the aftermath, had absolutely nothing to do with this decision.  A true coincidence.  Just amazing to me that more than  a few of you actually feel this way.  Nothing to see here.

I'll close this out by echoing Rising's thoughts on CC.  He was on my very short list when JC was hired.  He has the experience, knowledge, and hopefully, leadership to become a great head coach.  It's essential to note that he didn't DO any of this or CAUSE any of this.  He should not be criticized or condemned in any way for accepting his position.

6/02/2022 10:26 am  #17

GW69 - Let me be as clear as I can. I am not suggesting Diaz left solely or mostly because of the JC termination. I am saying that my information is that Diaz was forced to go. The reasons for why he was forced to go are apparently numerous. My understanding was that he has alienated many across campus. If nothing else, the JC termination was just another example of his meddling in things he should not have had the power to meddle in. I believe the hospital deal also had a big role in this too. I have heard from too many different sources that would know that Diaz wanted JC gone as early as the end of last season and made his feelings on that subject well known.

He is also the guy who apparently authorized, approved or pushed for an approximately $1.8 million dollar buyout of JC's Siena contract. So while GW was claiming it has no money, it effectively spent close to $1.35 million per year if you amortize this amount over 3 years. As much as I like JC, this is a terrible investment decision if you weren't going to give the guy 5 years. Also, if you were going to spend that amount, you probably could have interviewed a different level of coach. The whole thing is mind-boggling.

So when I say justice was done, I don't give a flip what actually led us to this point. The justice is that Diaz is not going to be able to meddle in areas he has no business meddling in anymore at GW. We have an AD. Her job is to make the decisions for the athletic department free from interference. As I said, too late to save JC but maybe Caputo and others will benefit.  

Also, I can tell you without reservation not many tears are being shed in Foggy Bottom right now from any corner..

Last edited by GWRising (6/02/2022 10:32 am)

6/02/2022 4:52 pm  #18

First, welcome back Rising.

Diaz - I'm leaving because I have accomplished everything I set out to do in 4 years 

is equal to

Nero - I'm suddenly leaving to pursue "other" opportunities.

6/03/2022 5:32 am  #19

Please stop with the cloak and dagger bullshit. As a student who attended in the 1980s, I can't really take much anymore, as our school seems to produce more than its share of it, and with shocking frequency. I've never given a cold fuck about the GW admin because, well, it's always been so demonstrably, sadistically, almost intentionally bad. We've squandered more money, goodwill and promise in Foggy Bottom in every area -- academic, civic, athletic -- than most schools ever will. That there's a backstory in the Athletic Department that someone may have gotten screwed during a coaching change is a sine qua non. Of course they did. And there was an evil administrator singularly pushing it? Naturally.

Last edited by Mentzinger (6/03/2022 5:37 am)

6/03/2022 8:56 am  #20

GWRising wrote:

GW69 - Let me be as clear as I can. I am not suggesting Diaz left solely or mostly because of the JC termination. I am saying that my information is that Diaz was forced to go. The reasons for why he was forced to go are apparently numerous. My understanding was that he has alienated many across campus. If nothing else, the JC termination was just another example of his meddling in things he should not have had the power to meddle in. I believe the hospital deal also had a big role in this too. I have heard from too many different sources that would know that Diaz wanted JC gone as early as the end of last season and made his feelings on that subject well known.

He is also the guy who apparently authorized, approved or pushed for an approximately $1.8 million dollar buyout of JC's Siena contract. So while GW was claiming it has no money, it effectively spent close to $1.35 million per year if you amortize this amount over 3 years. As much as I like JC, this is a terrible investment decision if you weren't going to give the guy 5 years. Also, if you were going to spend that amount, you probably could have interviewed a different level of coach. The whole thing is mind-boggling.

So when I say justice was done, I don't give a flip what actually led us to this point. The justice is that Diaz is not going to be able to meddle in areas he has no business meddling in anymore at GW. We have an AD. Her job is to make the decisions for the athletic department free from interference. As I said, too late to save JC but maybe Caputo and others will benefit.  

Also, I can tell you without reservation not many tears are being shed in Foggy Bottom right now from any corner..

$2 million-$3 million to Lonergan not to coach
? buyout to MoJo not to coach (I do not know this number but it is likely nominal.)
$1.8 million to Siena 
Approx. $1.3 million to JC not to coach

We may very well lead the country in "dead money" over the past 6 years.

Board footera