GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2022 1:54 pm  #1

Kind of Underwhelming, No?

Look, I understand that CC declared at his press conference that he’d have a low profile as coach, but doesn’t it seem like this whole spring/summer has been rather underwhelming when it comes to buzz about the team?

I’m not saying we have to be UMass and Frank Martin, but couldn’t we be Mason and Kim English from last year?  Where are the videos from CC and the team that show an ounce of “new energy” on campus?  If you are a transfer or recruit, what are you seeing that makes you excited to come to GW?  Other schools will have Twitter accountsthat will hype of "priority" recruits and will announce when they're on campus.  Here it's almost like the Da Vinci Code figuring out if the coaching staff is interested in a player.

Say what you will about JC and his media availability but he clearly was able to sell himself as a coach and GW as a school. I guess there’s still time to fill those last two roster spots but it just seems like half of the expense of that private jet flight could’ve been spent hiring a recent grad to do some social media for the team.

Last edited by GW0509 (6/08/2022 1:57 pm)

6/08/2022 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Kind of Underwhelming, No?

Just win baby.

6/08/2022 2:02 pm  #3

For many years people have made the same complaint at St. Mary's with Randy Bennett and that seems to have worked out just fine.  Time will tell.

6/08/2022 4:31 pm  #4

We had way too much sizzle and too little steak before. We didn't have a record that matched the untoward internal hype.
  At the same time,understand what GW0509 is saying. The lack of news is, of course frustrating for those of us who are closely following GW basketball months away from the season.
  But if it works out with a much better team (not a high bar),we can presumably live with it.

6/08/2022 4:43 pm  #5

All business

6/08/2022 5:35 pm  #6

As it says you are a new member, welcome to the board, Ryan.

6/08/2022 5:47 pm  #7

I don't care what the outside looks like. I care what happens when the team takes the court. This year, I expect that will be underwhelming. But if there seems to be direction and a path forward, I'll be happy. Whether it be the fault of Diaz, TV, JC, or anybody else, there just never seemed to be a direction from the previous regime, though there was always hype. There very well may have been direction--it just didn't shine through the way it did to me under ML or KH (easier to see direction when things work out).

I'm excited to see what comes as the team starts to take the court and we get ready for the season

6/08/2022 5:54 pm  #8

jf wrote:

RyanPuleo Oh the ignominy of being honored and famous as the Mayhem antagonist of Billikens basketball on another platform and be identified as a newbie on this dysfunctional GW playground. #onlyatGW

6/08/2022 6:42 pm  #9

I believe I saw some social media thing from the Athletic Department that "move in day" for basketball players was this week. So maybe some of what you are looking for is about to come through the pipeline.
And, of course, the lone determining factor in how many wins and losses a team has racked up by mid-March is the amount of "buzz" in the media and online a team generates in late May.

6/08/2022 9:44 pm  #10

Poog wrote:

jf wrote:

RyanPuleo Oh the ignominy of being honored and famous as the Mayhem antagonist of Billikens basketball on another platform and be identified as a newbie on this dysfunctional GW playground. #onlyatGW

Huh?

6/09/2022 6:24 am  #11

6/09/2022 10:54 am  #12

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Poog wrote:

jf wrote:

Huh?

LSF beat me to the huh?
Was it wrong to welcome someone who seems to be a new member here, who I thought was a big GW
basketball supporter? I literally thought whether I should do it or not, which in and of itself shows what we've become.
But thought it would be a decent gesture to welcome someone here.

6/28/2022 11:40 am  #13

Recruiting at GW has NEVER been easy. Throw in crappy teams for the last several years and you've got a real tough job. I can't imagine, however, that none of the seemingly 100 offers we've made will be accepted. The coaching staff seems to include several guys who have solid recruiting backgrounds and that should help. Our best bet may be to comb the countrysides in foreign countries for a gem like Yinka. One thing I do know: The guys on next year's roster will absolutely be better coached and that will help greatly.    PS: Maybe some of these recruits are waiting for a new school mascot to excite them now that we have removed that oppressive "Colonials" nickname!!!

6/28/2022 3:43 pm  #14

Based on Twitter activity it looks like the entire staff is working hard on 2023, 2024, and even 2025 recruits.  Zak Boisvert specifically seems to be following a few international players.

Just wish we could find those last two pieces for 2022!

6/28/2022 4:23 pm  #15

There have been a bunch of offers at least for 2023 and 2024 https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/george-washington

6/28/2022 4:39 pm  #16

Barring a last minute development with some previous irons in the fire, what you see on the roster is likely what you will get for 2022-23.

I agree the focus is on 2023 and beyond. I have seen/heard the staff at many events these past two weekends ranging from DC to Boston. I expect November to be busy as we may have as many as 7 or 8 scholarships available. Some may be held for Spring 2023 transfers but some will be 2023 freshman for sure.

6/28/2022 5:46 pm  #17

GWRising wrote:

Barring a last minute development with some previous irons in the fire, what you see on the roster is likely what you will get for 2022-23.

I get it but I have flashbacks to last year when we had to run Tyler Warner out there because we had no bigs. Even if they don’t contribute much I hope we can find a grad transfer or two to at least have emergency depth in case of injury.

6/28/2022 8:23 pm  #18

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

I get it but I have flashbacks to last year when we had to run Tyler Warner out there because we had no bigs. Even if they don’t contribute much I hope we can find a grad transfer or two to at least have emergency depth in case of injury.

Bigger worry for me is that Bishop, Adams, and I guess Maximus are the only guards on the roster. Bishop is going to have to play 40 a game. Hopefully Caputo can teach him how to play defense without fouling.

Last edited by Free Quebec (6/28/2022 8:24 pm)

6/28/2022 8:38 pm  #19

Free Quebec wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Bigger worry for me is that Bishop, Adams, and I guess Maximus are the only guards on the roster. Bishop is going to have to play 40 a game. Hopefully Caputo can teach him how to play defense without fouling.

Is Amir Harris definitely gone. I have heard different things from people on this board. Not expecting him to get big minutes any way, but at least it would be another body at guard.

Last edited by Buff&BlueBandit (6/28/2022 8:39 pm)

6/29/2022 5:34 am  #20

Thin roster, no team name, a coach who's been here 8 minutes ...it's like we're trying to have the most minimal, inconsequential basketball presence in D1 ever. We could be wistful for 1-27 this year. Go Tanya!

Board footera