GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2022 3:33 pm  #81

Re: Ricky Lindo

Wonderful! Some good news.

4/27/2022 6:29 pm  #82

Reminds me of Charlie Finley’s great line when free agency came to baseball, “Let’s make ‘em all free agents!” With 100s of guys in the portal some guys are going to play it safe.
The difference makers won’t. Still quality and stability are HUGE and Ricky gives GW that! Welcome back Ricky!

4/28/2022 12:57 am  #83

Lindo averaged 11 points and 11 boards and 2.1 steals upon joining the team for the back stretch of 2021.

His numbers were down some this year, but still had 8 points 8 boards,and notably added a 3 ball (38%) and 1.6 blocks to go with 1.5 steals a game

Very talented player, a stat stuffer with a really high ceiling, hopefully it all comes together next year at GW

4/28/2022 9:08 am  #84

Ricky wasn't nearly as secure with the ball as either he or JC thought.  And I am sorry to say but many of these turnovers were of the unforced variety.  This will either need to improve or the new coaching staff should be more reluctant in allowing Ricky to handle the ball.  Additionally, he needs to become a more consistent finisher in the paint.  That said, he certainly is a stat stuffer who checks a lot of boxes.  He scores from virtually anywhere, is a tremendous defensive rebounder (it will be interesting to see if he's given a fair chance at offensive rebounding), and has tremendous court vision even if the play isn't always well-executed.  On defense, he is guilty a little too often of touch fouls which often result in his either getting into foul trouble or otherwise mentally takes him out of his game.  He needs to learn to avoid these silly fouls.  Otherwise,  nobody along the frontcourt showed greater defensive intensity than Ricky.  Getting him some teammates, or at least one teammate, with both size and speed would be a huge bonus.

4/28/2022 10:50 am  #85

Certainly good news that Ricky is returning.  He is a very competent player on a team that is, at least for the time being, very short on cmpetent players.   But he is a bandaid.   The serious patchwork still needs to come.   I thought Ricky was hindered by 2 thngs this past season, in which he regressed from his first season.  First and probably foremost, there were always whispers that he was injured and not phyiscally able to play to his full potential.  The other was he seemed to have fallen in love with the corner three pointer, and on too many plays, he would appear to run to the corner and wait for someone to throw him the ball.   Maybe this was the result of the lack of physicality caused by an injury.  To Ricky and Coach Christian's credit, towards the end of the season, Ricky again expanded and improved his game.  Agree with Mayhem (when are you going to change that name???) that he was foul prone, may of which were of the ticky tac variety.

4/29/2022 7:16 am  #86

Tweeted by Coach Caputo in the last day or so. (Sorry, I don't know how to forward a tweet so I copied and pasted)
"Only three players in the country averaged 7.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.5 bpg and 1.5 spg last season: Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky Norchad Omier, Arkansas State 𝙍𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙮 𝙇𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙤, 𝙂𝙒"

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (4/29/2022 7:17 am)

4/29/2022 11:31 am  #87

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Tweeted by Coach Caputo in the last day or so. (Sorry, I don't know how to forward a tweet so I copied and pasted)
"Only three players in the country averaged 7.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.5 bpg and 1.5 spg last season: Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky Norchad Omier, Arkansas State 𝙍𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙮 𝙇𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙤, 𝙂𝙒"

Interesting to note, Omier just committed to Miami.

4/29/2022 11:43 am  #88

If CC runs an offense similar to what Miami did, Ricky will have a greater opportunity to show his skill set.  Would also be nice if we had a stronger 5.  Felt a lot of Ricky’s defensive issues were due to having to guard a person out of position when we played small  or constantly help out Our 5s.

4/29/2022 12:03 pm  #89

PKGW wrote:

If CC runs an offense similar to what Miami did, Ricky will have a greater opportunity to show his skill set. Would also be nice if we had a stronger 5. Felt a lot of Ricky’s defensive issues were due to having to guard a person out of position when we played small or constantly help out Our 5s.

Our 5s never saw a fake that wouldn't full them. It seemed at times that they couldn't stay between the rim or a 3rd grader. I could usually watch maybe 7 minutes of their bad D until I would give up. If they had played that  D for Gerry Gimelstob, he would have blown up !!

6/11/2022 9:19 pm  #90

Ran into Ricky on campus tonight, while walking my dog, said a quick hello, good to see him and glad he's still around!  he was heading into the District House.  I'm thinking a lot of the athlete live there now?  If memory serves they used to live somewhere on F St.

I think he's going to have a huge year, what do you see as the ceiling for Lindo??

Last edited by The Dude (6/12/2022 3:00 pm)

6/12/2022 11:52 am  #91

Ricky Lindo was walking your dog?

6/12/2022 12:09 pm  #92

Dude-Like you I see a huge year for the dog-I have no idea about Ricky's ceiling.

Last edited by GW69 (6/12/2022 12:14 pm)

6/12/2022 1:59 pm  #93

Without predicting a big year for Ricky, depending on his health status and barring our receiving any impact transfers (which I really hope isn't the case), then I see Ricky as our #2 scorer next to Bishop, as we lost 2 of our 3 leading scorers and nobody on the roster jumps out at me as being able to make some of that up.    With some tweaking of his game by Caputo, maybe 13-15 ppg?    Personally very happy he is returning.

6/12/2022 2:03 pm  #94

GW69. - post of the month!!!

6/12/2022 2:45 pm  #95

13 & 10.

6/12/2022 5:30 pm  #96

I see you completely rewrote your text Dude.Yes it was embarrassing.Smart move.

6/13/2022 6:01 pm  #97

ColonialNY wrote:

13 & 10.

13 and 10 were the 2 year career averages of Yinka Dare at GW, 13.8 and 10.3 to be precise.

6/13/2022 9:00 pm  #98

Yinka was a raw talent with an undeveloped offensive game in his 2 years at GW, however he was a defensive mastermind.  To compare Lindo with Yinka is absurd.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (6/13/2022 11:00 pm)

6/14/2022 8:40 am  #99

My reasoning for 13 and 10 are (a) someone has to score points aside from Bishop and for me Lindo should get plenty of those chances, barring a major transfer coming in, and (b) he can rebound as well as anyone / better than anyone currently on the roster. The 10 rebounds per game is probably wishful thinking, so maybe 12 & 8 is more realistic, but I can absolutely see him going 13 & 10 consistently. 

6/14/2022 11:44 pm  #100

13 points and 10 boards is pretty rare air, how many D1 players, last year, averaged 13 points and 10 boards??  Would be quite a feat next season.

Lindo did average 11.7 and 10.4 boards for GW in 2020-21, does appear to have the type of game to pull it off!

Board footera