GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2022 1:44 pm  #1

The 1 GW player to build around

You have the choice of any GW player in history, to build around.  For these purposes, you are starting the roster from scratch, and you can land one GW player of your choice as the 1st piece of the roster.

Who do you pick?

You can pick anyone, from any era who played for GW.   IMO, I'd think it woud be one of these  4 choices:

1. Yinka
2. Shawnta
3. Carl Elliott  
4. Mike Brown  

Last edited by The Dude (6/12/2022 1:53 pm)

6/12/2022 6:17 pm  #2

Re: The 1 GW player to build around

Shawnta.   

For the 90s I would say Yinka, but the modern pace and space game means it’s hard to build around a big guy.  Plus Shawnta’s effort level - getting long rebounds and loose balls, playing lockdown defense, using his strength when guys tried to post him up - is infectious.   You start with a guy with his combo of tenacity and skill, especially at the point, and you are going to build a great team.

6/13/2022 11:16 am  #3

Let's restrict this to men's players; otherwise, Jonquel is tempting.

Shawnta is a logical choice but I'd pick a far less obvious one.  I want to start with a guy who won a lot.  There is risk here because you have to analyze how much of the winning was due to the player as opposed to his teammates.  Turning that around though, I want someone who can fit in with a talented team and not let his ego dictate how often he shoots, etc.   I also want someone who is a leader and detests losing.  Next, I want a complete player.  You've perhaps guessed by now but I'd gladly start my team with Mike Hall.

Mike gives my team a solid shooter, good rebounder, capable passer, and lockdown defender who can guard the opponent's best player regardless of position.  Shawnta certainly had more clutch moments but this is largely in part to Mike playing with guys like Carl, JR and Mo Rice who were all prolific in big moments.  For as great a disruptor as Shawnta was on defense, opponents obviously had no difficulty shooting over him and that really was a concern at times.  

Statistically comparing the two players, Shawnta averaged 4.5 points per game more than Mike but also took 523 more shots while playing in three fewer games.  Mike had a better shooting percentage from both 2 and 3.  His effective FG % of 54.3% was quite a bit higher than Shawnta's mark of 46.3%.  Of course Mike had better rebounding and blocked shot numbers (despite Shawnta being just an incredible rebounder for his size) while Shawnta had the superior assist and steal numbers.  Shawnta averaged 3.1 turnovers per game while Mike's average was 1.3, but again, this is to be expected given the positions they played.  Shawnta was outstanding at the line and could close out games that way.  But at 77%, Mike wasn't exactly a liability there.

I'd sum it up by saying that what Shawnta was best at was superior to what Mike was best at.  But, Mike was so solid that there were no distinguishable flaws in his game while Shawnta, through no fault of his own, could be exploited defensively by better teams.  It's very close but I'll take Mike to start my team.

6/13/2022 2:22 pm  #4

Free Quebec wrote:

Shawnta.

For the 90s I would say Yinka, but the modern pace and space game means it’s hard to build around a big guy. Plus Shawnta’s effort level - getting long rebounds and loose balls, playing lockdown defense, using his strength when guys tried to post him up - is infectious. You start with a guy with his combo of tenacity and skill, especially at the point, and you are going to build a great team.

It is interesting how the game has changed.   There's a great video illustrating this, using the Roy Hibbert NBA career to demonstrate it

Shawnta over Carl?  

Board footera