GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2019 2:37 pm  #1

Buzzer Beaters

So when do you think the last time was when GW won on a buzzer beater prior to Javier's game-winner last night?  This might depend on your interpretation of what constitutes a buzzer beater.

On March 1, 2017, Tyler Cavanaugh was fouled taking a three point shot at Fordham with 1 second left and his team down 2.  Tyler hit all 3 free throws giving GW a 67-66 win.  Very dramatic, but hard to call it a buzzer beater since the clock was stopped at the time he was winning the game at the foul line.

Earlier that season, on Dec. 7, 2016, Tyler broke a tie with a game winning three pointer at Temple.  However, Tyler's bucket took place with 8 seconds left.  A game winner to be sure, but not a buzzer beater.

In the NIT Championship season of 2014-15, Alex Mitola kept GW's season alive with a floater which broke an 80-80 tie against Hofstra at Smith Center.  Most probably think of this as a buzzer beater but there were technically still 4 seconds left when Alex's shot went through the net.

This brings us to February 6, 2015 when in overtime, GW was one point behind at home against Dayton.  Kethan Savage went for the game winner but it was Joe McDonald's tip in that won the game at the buzzer, 65-64.

Unless you'd like to quibble, the correct answer is Joe McDonald.  He had the most recent true buzzer beater for GW prior to Javier's putback last night.

12/05/2019 2:46 pm  #2

Re: Buzzer Beaters

That 2015 game was so fun. 

12/05/2019 3:30 pm  #3

Yeah, the Joe McDonald game is what instantly came to mind last night for me right after Javi's bucket.

12/05/2019 3:41 pm  #4

Not that it matters, but Mitola's NIT floater was the 15-16 season.

12/05/2019 3:44 pm  #5

Also since he was at the game last night, worth mentioning Mo Creek's shot vs. Maryland in the 13-14 season. Also technically not a buzzer-beater, and occurred before Joe Mac's finish vs. Dayton, but definitely notable considering the opponent and starting to put together a somewhat unexpected NCAA tournament resume.

Last edited by Hugh (12/05/2019 3:45 pm)

12/05/2019 4:40 pm  #6

Good catch Hugh.  My mistake on the NIT year.

12/05/2019 4:46 pm  #7

Other close ones:

12/3/16:  Collin Smith with a 3ptr with three seconds left to beat USF
a few days later...
12/7/16:  Tyler with a 3 to win at Temple with 8 seconds to go

Last edited by BM (12/05/2019 4:53 pm)

12/05/2019 5:06 pm  #8

Thanks BM.  I did mention Tyler against Temple but was remiss in not including Collin's bank shot 3.

12/05/2019 5:24 pm  #9

I think Colin Smith’s was a bank shot from 3 -

12/05/2019 7:59 pm  #10

Shwanta Rodgers hit a buzzer beater against Xavier after spending the earlier part of the day in bed with the flu. The shot was at the top of the key and fans rushed the court.
Yinka Dare caught a full court pass at Rutgers and stuffed a shot for a buzzer beater and the win.

12/05/2019 9:52 pm  #11

Not to mention the greatest buzzer beater in GW history: Sara Jo Lawrence´s putback of the Kim Beck miss against Cal in the second round of the NCAA tournament in 2008 to win 55-53 at Stanford.

12/06/2019 12:08 am  #12

For me, Carl Elliott’s shot to beat Charlotte in overtime to complete a perfect A10 season in 2006 was the best buzzer beater in GW history.

12/06/2019 7:25 am  #13

DC Native wrote:

For me, Carl Elliott’s shot to beat Charlotte in overtime to complete a perfect A10 season in 2006 was the best buzzer beater in GW history.

Shwanta’a 3 to win the A10 regular season has to be the most important buzzer beater in gw history. 

Elliot’s to complete the 16-0 season has to be the most fun and probably the best for long term bragging rights.

But no doubt the “best” buzzer beater in gw men’s basketball history (modern era), regardless of the game, is Carl Elliot’s steak and half court walk off shot at Dayton. 

Why is Big Shot Car not in the gw athletics hall of fame?

12/06/2019 10:19 am  #14

A few other buzzer beaters come to mind (not the greatest of alltime but some pretty good ones).  Shawnta also nailed a three to beat Old Dominion at the buzzer.  Not only did JoeMac beat Dayton at the buzzer, but so did TJ Thompson (TJ went end-to-end and finished with a layup).   Wynton Weatherspoon came close; he hit a game winning 3 with 1.9 seconds left to beat Dayton.  And, if you are of the belief that Javier was the most unlikely Colonial to ever hit a game winner for GW, you are probably correct.  I was going to submit the Bryan Bynes banker to beat East Carolina but that came with 2.5 seconds left.  Finally, there was the game winner that wasn't a game winner.  Yuta.  VCU.  Enough said.

12/06/2019 10:47 am  #15

I think I will always remember Vaughn Jones driving the full length of the floor for a layup that beat Xavier.  I believe it was Xavier at any rate.  

12/06/2019 10:51 am  #16

One of the greatest buzzer beaters I saw was when Yuta drained that 3 point shot vs. VCU with 0.3 seconds left in the game.   I did not stay for the remaining 0.3 seconds, but what a win that was for GW.

12/06/2019 11:44 am  #17

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

One of the greatest buzzer beaters I saw was when Yuta drained that 3 point shot vs. VCU with 0.3 seconds left in the game.   I did not stay for the remaining 0.3 seconds, but what a win that was for GW.

If only.

12/06/2019 12:26 pm  #18

Didn't one of the worst shooters in team history, Tom Tate, hit a near mid court shot to beat Virginia Tech or is my memory totally gone? Maybe that was to send the game into overtime. I do remember Tate and Samson seemed to be the best students in my calculus class. I would still take back most of these buzzer beaters if I could eliminate Craig Esherick's shot that beat us at Georgetown. Les Anderson's monster performance was erased by that.

12/06/2019 2:26 pm  #19

I have a tape of one of the best run and gun games GW ever won. Feb. 12, 1994 playing a great Xavier team in Cincinnati Gardens.  93-92 in double overtime. Vaugh Jones hit the winner. Kwame Evans had 25 points and Alvin Pearsall (I believe the point guard) had 10 rebounds. A few years down the road X joined the A10.   

12/06/2019 2:28 pm  #20

BC, I gotta find that tape. Heck of a game.

Board footera