GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2022 10:42 am  #241

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Details to follow ....

6/15/2022 10:44 am  #242

GW to eliminate Colonials name and seek a new name to be determined. Have at it boys ...

Last edited by GWRising (6/15/2022 10:45 am)

6/15/2022 10:46 am  #243

6/15/2022 10:47 am  #244

Colonials.  Colonizers.  They are two different words with two different meanings.

Sometimes, in your effort to bend over backwards not to look politically incorrect or insensitive, you just end up looking stupid.  This is one of those times.

6/15/2022 10:48 am  #245

Three thoughts ....

1. Money we don't have for basketball will now be spent on re-branding a name which is not offensive by its plain meaning.
2. God, I hope it's not the Hippos or some other absurd name.
3. The name of the University is now squarely in the cross-hairs. 

Last edited by GWRising (6/15/2022 10:48 am)

6/15/2022 10:48 am  #246

Changing the name because some people can’t tell the difference between Colonials and Colonialists is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

6/15/2022 10:54 am  #247

To quote one of my GW friends who thinks very differently than I do politically (he is very left-leaning) ... "Really? Our side pushes some dumb stuff sometimes." I agreed with him on everything except his use of the word "sometimes" 

6/15/2022 10:58 am  #248

A great victory for everyone who was insulted to the very fiber of their being by "Colonials".

Let's take the Stanford/Dartmouth/ Syracuse route and go with a color.

I vote Buff or Buffs because it is unique. And you don't have to change anything.

6/15/2022 11:10 am  #249

You cant fix stupid.  You know someone pointed out the difference between Colonials and Colonizers, but the Woke did not want to hear it.  So instead, we look like a University that doesn't know history. 

Gotta buy up more Colonial gear.

6/15/2022 11:13 am  #250

If we do go with the Hippos we better get a live mascot. Just thinking about a huge hippo munching on watermelons on the baseline.

6/15/2022 11:14 am  #251

6/15/2022 11:19 am  #252

I like the change honestly, but I haven’t been attached to GW as long as some of you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6/15/2022 11:30 am  #253

I will again mention the only replacement nickname that I will be happy with:

The Carvers

At least until they change the name of the university.

6/15/2022 11:34 am  #254

The Colonials is objectively a bad moniker and a lame mascot. I don't understand the commitment many people on here have to it. I don't mind the change and I hope they come up with something creative to replace it. However, I'm almost certain GW will be shelling out thousands of dollars to "branding consultants" rather than spending it on things of more importance, which sucks.

6/15/2022 11:39 am  #255

Good riddance.   Hard to do a chant with Colonials.

6/15/2022 11:39 am  #256

gwstudent2024 wrote:

The Colonials is objectively a bad moniker and a lame mascot. I don't understand the commitment many people on here have to it. I don't mind the change and I hope they come up with something creative to replace it. However, I'm almost certain GW will be shelling out thousands of dollars to "branding consultants" rather than spending it on things of more importance, which sucks.

I never did like the moniker, but its the REASON that it is being changed that irritates people (me at least). I will reserve judgment until I learn the new moniker, but if its the Hippos, I'm out...

6/15/2022 11:54 am  #257

From 10:47 to 10:48 the three posts by GWMayhem, GWRising and Free Quebec summed everything up perfectly. Did y'all plan to post within two minutes of each other and cover all the bases of why this is just so damn stupid?

6/15/2022 12:02 pm  #258

Its appeasement of the lowest common denominator, if Colonial offended you be prepared to defend the new one because someone somewhere will be offended by whatever the new one is. If the Special Committee (and more importantly the University leadership) was doing their job they would roll out new name with the announcement.  Whether you like the old name or not this is just plain stupid.  It makes GW look like it is run by Daniel Snyder.  A wonderfully run organization (sarcasm intended).

6/15/2022 12:17 pm  #259

I wonder how many of the students pushing for change support the school as it exists in other ways, participation in school based cultural activities, inter mural sports or give as alums? Or is it another virtue plaque for their mantel?

6/15/2022 12:21 pm  #260

I will not support stupidity.  Hope the people who supported this will donate in the future. Idiots just divided the community. 

Board footera