GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2022 6:00 pm  #301

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

We've survived inflation many times.  How many times have we survived insurrection?

6/15/2022 6:03 pm  #302

LA Colonial wrote:

Question for BGF.  For those of us who have Colonials in their screen name, are we supposed to change it?

Hahaha.  No. 

Nor will I be changing the name of my 25-year old fantasy football league, the GWUCFL, or the GWU Colonial Football League. 

We have 4 divisions of 4 teams:  Omo, Kwame, Vaughn, and Nimbo.

6/15/2022 6:15 pm  #303

Geno wrote:

A great victory for everyone who was insulted to the very fiber of their being by "Colonials".

Let's take the Stanford/Dartmouth/ Syracuse route and go with a color.

I vote Buff or Buffs because it is unique. And you don't have to change anything.

The GW Mascot for the buffs better be a naked guy or gal

6/15/2022 6:23 pm  #304

If we are in a world where the term colonial is considered offensive, I don’t under how revolutionary wouldn’t be as well.  While the American revolution worked out well for us, I’m sure the people of Cuba or Taiwan have a different thought on revolutionaries.  And, if we are in a world where nobody could possibly be offended by any possible name, I don’t see how you can use it.

6/15/2022 6:27 pm  #305

Rising -that’s totally fair! Inflation and gas prices vs.overthrowing the government.You are kidding right?
I sure hope so.If not we are in big trouble.

6/15/2022 6:34 pm  #306

As much as I dislike the prospect of a new name, I find the Buffs appealing.

Back to snark.  For an interim name, the Washington Football Team.  For a permanent name, the Monikers.

6/15/2022 6:46 pm  #307

GW69 wrote:

Rising -that’s totally fair! Inflation and gas prices vs.overthrowing the government.You are kidding right?
I sure hope so.If not we are in big trouble.

I agree disgusting statement.. I'll pay higher prices (like the rest of the world , not just Biden's world) vs overthrowing a government, racism, hate etc etc..   

6/15/2022 7:10 pm  #308

I'd rather skip out on the hate/racism AND the high prices but that's just me lol

6/15/2022 7:11 pm  #309

For a supposed higher learning institution we really failed to teach people who the Colonials were huh

6/15/2022 7:15 pm  #310

Inflation  was going to happen no matter who was president. At least we dont have that grifter

6/15/2022 7:15 pm  #311

The District School Bunnies. That can't possibly offend any of the soft ass people who didn't pass 6th grade US History

6/15/2022 7:40 pm  #312

With due respect, Independents is the perhaps the single worst suggestion I’ve heard.  Nothing strikes fear in the hearts of your opponent like people who can’t take sides or who think they are above the fight to decide whether democracy lives or dies.

How about the George Washington Monuments?

Or the Foggy Bottoms.   I think with the latter, you’d sell a ton of merch.

6/15/2022 7:43 pm  #313

WMC wrote:

As much as I dislike the prospect of a new name, I find the Buffs appealing.

Back to snark.  For an interim name, the Washington Football Team.  For a permanent name, the Monikers.

While Buffs is better than independents, I have a problem with naming us after an antiquated color that no one knows exists.  The reaction from 99.9% of people who hear it would be “What does the buffs mean?  Oh, it’s a color sort of like yellow?  Whatever.”   Wouldn’t be memorable or marketable.

6/15/2022 7:46 pm  #314

I can't be the only one excited for the sheer number of streakers if they name them the Buffs right?

Washington Basketball Team. Or keep it classy and reverse the offensiveness with the Washington Red Coats!

6/15/2022 8:16 pm  #315

Free Quebec wrote:

Or the Foggy Bottoms. I think with the latter, you’d sell a ton of merch.

I am not siging off on Foggy Bottoms until AFTER I have secured exclusive rights to sell GW-branded whoopie cushions.

6/15/2022 8:18 pm  #316

PKGW wrote:

Stealing from an old political party I Think we should be the GW “Know Nothings”.

The Church-affiliated schools in the A-10 will love that idea... NOT!

6/15/2022 8:19 pm  #317

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let's push for Carvers.  Free bags of peanuts whenever the team makes 7 threes in a contest.  

Every Karen who is sure her child is allergic to peanuts will rain a steady stream of grief on the school.

6/15/2022 8:39 pm  #318

GW0509 wrote:

Binghamton were also called the Colonials at one point and they were named after the architecture not the people. Ended up with the goofy name Bearcats. I think Robert Morris are the last Colonials left?

Looks like Robert Morris may not be the Colonials for long either: https://www.wtae.com/article/robert-morris-university-considering-colonials-name/40303045?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#

6/15/2022 8:57 pm  #319

The vast majority of us have had our own ancestors come to the country and had their name changed. And for no reason other than some asshole couldn’t pronounce what our ancestors said. Now we get upset when the school we went to changes it’s name. Priorities people.

Also, I’m pretty pissed off about Jan 6 and high inflation and the 90 dollars it took me to fill my gas tank yesterday. Why we have to compartmentalize and only be mad at certain things is crazy. There are plenty of news stories (and hearings) about the economy. If one believes those should be prioritized over an attempted coup, so be it. There are plenty of places to get that news.

6/16/2022 12:45 am  #320

It’s getting to the point where the average family can’t even afford to go grocery shopping, let alone drive to the grocery store, and yet all you weirdos can talk about is a riot almost two years ago. So, so, so pathetically out-of-touch. November can’t come soon enough.

Board footera