GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2022 5:07 am  #321

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Let's just call ourselves the George Washington University Students. No current student who doesn't understand the difference between a Colonial and colonist can't possibly be offended by calling the teams the Students, right? Or maybe we call them the Student Athletes? We were already way ahead of our time by not referring to women's teams by inserting the word "Lady" into nicknames (which for the record I really liked that we didn't do that), so let's be ahead of our time by showing our inclusivity and just be the GWU Students!

Or maybe Collegiates?

Last edited by ColonialNY (6/16/2022 5:07 am)

6/16/2022 6:44 am  #322

GWGrad2013 wrote:

It’s getting to the point where the average family can’t even afford to go grocery shopping, let alone drive to the grocery store, and yet all you weirdos can talk about is a riot almost two years ago. So, so, so pathetically out-of-touch. November can’t come soon enough.

We are also talking about GW’s name change. I’m certain that once November comes, gas prices and food prices will
magically drop. And people will stop shooting each other. And people stop plotting to destroy gay people. But there probably won’t be a second coup attempt

6/16/2022 7:32 am  #323

GWGrad2013 wrote:

It’s getting to the point where the average family can’t even afford to go grocery shopping, let alone drive to the grocery store, and yet all you weirdos can talk about is a riot almost two years ago. So, so, so pathetically out-of-touch. November can’t come soon enough.

That's the world we live in, champ. Every country is experiencing it. But I'm guessing you already know that, but are too under the spell of our American charlatan to care.

6/16/2022 7:38 am  #324

I like the Revolutionaries (or Revs for short), though I think the Generals would work as well. Please no Hippos, unless you are dropping to D3. Those kinda names might work for UC Santa Cruz (Banana Slugs), but not for schools competing at a higher level.

6/16/2022 7:49 am  #325

It won’t be the hippos unless we are giving up on women’s sports.  Can’t imagine too many women who want to be called a hippo.

6/16/2022 8:27 am  #326

Free Quebec wrote:

It won’t be the hippos unless we are giving up on women’s sports.  Can’t imagine too many women who want to be called a hippo.

When I was in high school, our tennis team was sponsored by the brand Head. Suffice to say all the women’s gear saying “Team Head” didn’t go over too well.

6/16/2022 8:44 am  #327

If we're getting rid of Colonials because it's too similar to Colonizers there's just no way it's gonna be the Revolutionaries.

Using the above interpretation skills, Revolutionaries could mean the Bolsheviks, the Taiping Rebellion,  the Confederacy,  or even the January 6th folks. There's a "revolutionary" out there to piss off every student and alum.

6/16/2022 8:58 am  #328

said this in other thread and it is worth repeating

anything BUT hippos
nothing will send you to the front of the laughing stock section quicker than choosing (or even entertaining the idea of) that absurd and awful nickname

6/16/2022 9:00 am  #329

Simply amazing. We have some people complaining on the other thread that we aren't paying enough attention to January 6th. But then have no problem with the name Revolutionaries. If you are offended by Colonials, I would think Revolutionaries in this day and age might be more offensive. Just saying.

Revolution - a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favor of a new system.

6/16/2022 9:09 am  #330

GWGrad2013 wrote:

Agreed. Even the polls show that hardly anyone (even Democrats) thinks January 6th is the biggest concern facing this country presently. The number one concern = economy. Ignore it at your peril. If you don't want Trump to be brought back to life like Lazarus, you might want to address inflation and energy pronto.

6/16/2022 9:15 am  #331

Hatchet Man wrote:

GWGrad2013 wrote:

That's the world we live in, champ. Every country is experiencing it. But I'm guessing you already know that, but are too under the spell of our American charlatan to care.

Nah that may be the world you accept living in but some of us have higher aspirations for our economic policies. But perhaps you should park yourself outside the gas pumps and just tell people that it's just the World we live in so they should accept it. I bet you will get some interesting reactions.

6/16/2022 9:19 am  #332

To me, this is political correctness run amok .And why continue to use the disgraced monker for another year or two and not have a new moniker ready now?

6/16/2022 9:29 am  #333

I think in the context of GW revolutionaries is a fine name. Keeping the mascot as George sets the tone for the revolutionary war revolutionaries. Now if the mascot was the crazy face paint and bull horns guy who stormed the capital, then revolutionaries might be a problematic name

6/16/2022 9:36 am  #334

RyanPuleo wrote:

I think in the context of GW revolutionaries is a fine name. Keeping the mascot as George sets the tone for the revolutionary war revolutionaries. Now if the mascot was the crazy face paint and bull horns guy who stormed the capital, then revolutionaries might be a problematic name

So I actually agree with your statement. But replace "Revolutionaries" with "Colonials" in the first sentence of your post. I would agree with that statement too.

If we apply the same framework in analyzing Colonials (i.e., including definitions that clearly don't apply to GW) there's just no way that Revolutionaries gets us to a different result.

6/16/2022 9:40 am  #335

Hatchet Man wrote:

I like the Revolutionaries (or Revs for short), though I think the Generals would work as well. Please no Hippos, unless you are dropping to D3. Those kinda names might work for UC Santa Cruz (Banana Slugs), but not for schools competing at a higher level.

I like Generals - I get the George Washington Generals is a little close to the Washington Generals of Globetrotters ignominy, but i have a feeling it won't resonate with too many people. 

6/16/2022 9:42 am  #336

To me, this is political correctness run amok. And why do this, allow the old moniker to remain in place for another year or two, and not have a new moniker ready to go now? Absurd! The next step, of course, is changing the University's name because the namesake was a slave owner. That's surely coming. 

6/16/2022 9:46 am  #337

"The Team Formerly Known as the Colonials"  (With all due respect to this thread, I wish we were discussing something else, (such as the actual team)  rather than this nonsense.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (6/16/2022 9:47 am)

6/16/2022 9:57 am  #338

How about these monikers: Uniters, Persons of Our Country (can't use Fathers--too sexist),  Bald Eagles (heck with American U),  Super Patriots (heck with George Mason),  Republicans (for our republic--oops not a good choice at this time politically), any animal you choose (as long as it doesn't have legal representation). As for why we're not talking about basketball--nothing is happening right now.

6/16/2022 10:07 am  #339

Gwmayhem wrote:

Mike K wrote:

ESPN AP Article

According to an online statement from the university, a that committee determined that supporters of "Colonials" view it as referring to "those who lived in the American colonies, especially those who fought for independence and democracy," while opponents see the term as referring to "colonizers who stole land and resources from indigenous groups, killed or exiled Native peoples and introduced slavery into the colonies."

NO, NO, NO!  Definitions of words are not matters of opinion.  You can't take the word "refrigerator" and state that one group views the word as an appliance designed to store and keep food cold while others define it as a fluid put in a car to enable power steering.  Colonizer and Colonial are different words with different meanings, not subject to interpretation.

Merriam-Webster: Colonial (noun): a member or inhabitant of a colony.

Even as an outsider I've always had an affinity for GW but I always felt Colonials as a mascot or moniker for your teams was foolish. George Washington literally risked his life and fought a war to no longer be called a colonial and now his namesake college links the two together? That makes no sense.

I'm obviously not close enough to the situation to make a call one way or another about how sound the process to change the moniker has been, but even if the process has been flawed, to me the outcome seems correct. George Washington shouldn't be called the Colonials and hopefully they go with a mascot and/or moniker that more closely resembles what made George Washington so special for our country

6/16/2022 10:27 am  #340

,The 1972 Cherry Tree had a lot of Hatchet articles about what was happening at GW from 1968-1972. The May 4th, 1971 Hatcher had a great article of a real riot.  Many of us were in the middle of this by just living in a GW dorm.  GW students experienced many riots through this time period.  Articles from the Hatchet ( November 5, 1968, November 8, 1968, November 17, 1969, February 29, 1970 (TDA-The Battle of Foggy Bottom) May 11, 1970, and especially MayDay1971.) cover them very well. Having a GW ID card kept most of us safe and allowed us to observe what was happening on our campus, which was pretty insane with pepper gas, tear gas and Mace. People without one were arrested.
While watching this January 6th thing live I kept on wondering when the black suited, white CDU (Civil Disorder Unit) helmeted giants  were going to show up and smash these protestors.  Every step the procession took while on the way to the Capital I expected the CDU  guys followed by the Army to show up. They never did and the mob just walked into the Capital.  Where were the CDU guys (who all GW students feared) ?  Were they defunded? A total failure of security. 

Board footera