GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2022 10:39 am  #341

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Does the U. of Mississippi have a new mascot now? Was Washington a rebel against England? GW Rebels? No, rebelling against England is offensive. Get rid of George Washington and Columbia College, Topple the Washington Monument, the "Committee" says it will bring unity to the GW? community.  

6/16/2022 11:28 am  #342

I don't care as long as its short, plural and has a good diminuative. Better to be the 4TH Rams than too smart by half. Judging by how they want to engage the community, they are mistaking the animus for Colonials in certain quarters with caring about the replacement or the school in general, especially by the students.

If you think GW is a bastion of many bad things and George Washington is an irredeemable historical figurethan the new name is not going to make any difference to you. So when picking a new name better to consider the donors and alums because the name is their BIG connection to the school. They thought the names was theirs.
Its not a question of spiteing those who hated Colonials, but coming up with a name that might be Ok with the people for whom the name mattered most.

Better plain than something that will age terribly. Profit from the Mander and Guardian experiences.

6/16/2022 11:41 am  #343

To be blunt, what makes any of you think they aren't coming for the University name next? Perhaps GW recognized this and did not issue a new moniker because it would be costly and dumb to have to do this twice. Maybe the idea is to see what shakes out over the next year before locking in. I have zero confidence that the Board will be able to fend off those who want the University name changed since they showed little backbone here. The new GW mascot should be one of these in honor of a board who twists with the wind ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222760746263?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1249MgOdwQruqS_rADrzVtA63&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=222760746263&targetid=1599090335257&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9007795&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1599090335257&abcId=9300697&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2_WdnrSy-AIVKoRaBR0JBQ1OEAQYByABEgJHYfD_BwE

6/16/2022 12:07 pm  #344

Rising, about the Board. Yellow Slugs sounds good, Oh!  Cal Tech has dubs on that one. Rebels sounds real good. But Buff and not Grey.

6/16/2022 1:13 pm  #345

danjsport, I'm sure most people will agree and demand that every family that had their name changed by immigration or other type of prejudice entity in this country should receive reparations from the US government. The suffering and pain that was involved in immigrating to this hostile country should be compensated.  That probably means most immigrants from the 1870's on. 
As for gas prices, the oil embargo many years ago showed us that slowing down on the highways does save gas. and money. However, on a recent 500 mile trip I saw that No one was slowing down. People were still doing 80 to 90 MPH in heavy rain storms in gas guzzling vehicles. So many dumb people on the roads today.

6/16/2022 1:15 pm  #346

Any news is good news?
We haven't been in the national news since the Nero debacle.
Another example of the constant bad decisions our university leadership continues to make.
I'm beginning to think we need to get (or refresh) GW's Board of Trustee's. They are inept. 

6/16/2022 1:31 pm  #347

I’m done donating.  I decided early on I’d be finished if this was the result.  Total overreach.

6/16/2022 2:42 pm  #348

The debate online and especially this board is already exhausting- after one day. In the grand scheme of the university, this is not a big deal. It will go down as a line or two on our Wikipedia page and in about a week we will go back to being an irrelevant sports program. After we finally pick a new name it will be debated for a few days and then again we will go back to being irrelevant. Call us whatever you want, I will go to games regardless. What’s that line from Romeo and Juliet about rose by any other name smelling just as sweet? It’s the same thing.

6/16/2022 2:59 pm  #349

Bravo, CAM!

6/16/2022 3:01 pm  #350

Tennessee Colonial you are out of pocket. The name was founded in 1928, it's not like George picked the name himself. Calm your tits

6/16/2022 3:11 pm  #351

Joel Joseph wrote:

Any news is good news?
Another example of the constant bad decisions our university leadership continues to make.
I'm beginning to think we need to get (or refresh) GW's Board of Trustee's. They are inept. 

I would like to know what the Board of Trustees has actually accomplished.  If they have time for this, they have too much time on their hands, especially considering there are other more serious matters that need attention.  I admit, I don't follow their activities but will do a cursory google search...

6/16/2022 3:19 pm  #352

GW Tigers.

(Since the English crown is represented by a lion.)

6/16/2022 3:21 pm  #353

CAM wrote:

The debate online and especially this board is already exhausting- after one day. In the grand scheme of the university, this is not a big deal. It will go down as a line or two on our Wikipedia page and in about a week we will go back to being an irrelevant sports program. After we finally pick a new name it will be debated for a few days and then again we will go back to being irrelevant. Call us whatever you want, I will go to games regardless. What’s that line from Romeo and Juliet about rose by any other name smelling just as sweet? It’s the same thing.

CAM you miss the point entirely. Nobody stays awake at night worrying about the name of the mascot. I really could care less what you call GW's sports teams. But I sure as hell care about the integrity of the University. Rather, it's the weak-kneed process that people are upset about. The University has shown weakness - bullied into a decision because some are too dumb to understand the plain meaning of words and push back. You want to change the name because you think something would be better marketing-wise, I won't argue. But that isn't what happened here. The University looks clownish and that is something everyone should care about. 

Last edited by GWRising (6/16/2022 3:23 pm)

6/16/2022 3:28 pm  #354

Mike K wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

Any news is good news?

I would like to know what the Board of Trustees has actually accomplished.  If they have time for this, they have too much time on their hands, especially considering there are other more serious matters that need attention.  I admit, I don't follow their activities but will do a cursory google search...

Mike K - You are likely going to get the following response if you search for GW Board of Trustees Accomplishments ...

"Your Search did not match any documents" 

6/16/2022 3:29 pm  #355

Some additional team names for consideration:
GW Thoroughbreds (Washington loved horses)
GW Hunters (Washington also loved to hunt)
GW Cherry Blossoms 

6/16/2022 3:36 pm  #356

I feel like to use the word “bully” is a little disingenuous. There was some pressure. There was no highly organized group, no large amounts of money being spent, or anything else to unfairly force the board. Sure there are more important things to do at this school which have more public support, but this was not unpopular on campus. Plus, how does anything get done? I don’t want to make any exaggerated comparisons, but it’s with people calling for change and those in power responding. Anyway, hope you get my point.

Last edited by CAM (6/16/2022 3:59 pm)

6/16/2022 4:02 pm  #357

Cherry Blossoms is the name of Japan´s national rugby team. Probably the sport´s greatest moment here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxoGMmCsXw

6/16/2022 4:05 pm  #358

Not much of a surprise, unfortunately.
But it seems like we largely haven't been able to enjoy a moment of peace or happiness in recent years.
Does it seem like the university is trying to drive away it's few dedicated basketball fans?

6/16/2022 4:39 pm  #359

22ndandF wrote:

Some additional team names for consideration:
GW Thoroughbreds (Washington loved horses)
GW Hunters (Washington also loved to hunt)
GW Cherry Blossoms 

I'd be fines with CHERRIES

6/16/2022 4:42 pm  #360

GW Metros.

Board footera