GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2022 5:16 pm  #361

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Everyone seems to be losing track of the really important meaning of this move:

In 2023/24, the COLONIALS are going undefeated!!!!!!!

6/16/2022 5:41 pm  #362

We should just go with the Colonels, lol. The national media wouldn’t even notice the change. And apparently GW was once a colonel in the Virginia Provincial Militia.

6/16/2022 5:44 pm  #363

I too like the Generals.  It is easy.  A bit harder to say would be the GW Commander in Chiefs.

6/16/2022 5:48 pm  #364

GW 76ers

6/16/2022 7:19 pm  #365

GW Generals wouldn't be terrible

6/16/2022 8:11 pm  #366

Generals makes a lot of sense.Obvious and non controversial(?).Division 111 Washington and Lee in 
Va. only major institution with that name.It lacks pizzaz but so did Colonials.

6/16/2022 8:14 pm  #367

(George) Washington Generals fits in with our record in recent years.

6/16/2022 8:29 pm  #368

If anyone is so inclined the Hatchet is looking for comments about the new name:

@nikkighaemi4
Hi! The Hatchet is currently working on a story about GW retiring the Colonials moniker and is looking to get community thoughts and reactions. If you’re interested in an interview to share your thoughts, please reach out to me via DM or email me at nghaemi@gwhatchet.com.

6/16/2022 9:39 pm  #369

Just for fun:
1) GW Nelsons - George’s prized steed he supposedly road into battle on occasion.
2) GW Rebels - Just so our student section could be the Rebel Alliance.
3) GW Splinters - For George’s wooden teeth (urban legend by the way, they were actually made up of a number of things not including wood).
4) GW RIverhorses- Still hippos but classier?
5) GW Baldwins, Todds, Washingtons, Powells, or Warrens - Throw in a non alumni like GW Andreses for good measure.

6/16/2022 9:49 pm  #370

Hahaha, there’s less than a 0% chance of GW changing their nickname to the Generals. The first thing the pro-change freaks would say is that “Generals” celebrates US military that has systematically oppressed minorities for centuries. You give these lunatics an inch and they’ll take a mile.

6/16/2022 10:02 pm  #371

What a bitter man you are

6/16/2022 10:10 pm  #372

CAM wrote:

What a bitter man you are

That’s rich coming from a person who is somehow offended and “bitter” over the term “Colonial” lol.

Last edited by GWGrad2013 (6/16/2022 10:14 pm)

6/16/2022 10:35 pm  #373

1. White Devils
2. Colonoscopies
3. Patriots
4. Continentals.

6/16/2022 11:04 pm  #374

Next time call me a woke libtard snowflake to really drive the point home <3

6/16/2022 11:25 pm  #375

CAM wrote:

Next time call me a woke libtard snowflake to really drive the point home <3

Uh-huh. One day you’re going to leave the college bubble and move on from that peri-college life, and you’re going to realize that that being offended by things like the word “Colonials” is not normal and is not a main-stream point of view of life.

And you know what? You’re going to feel relief and feel unburdened; I’m sure it’s got to be very stressful and distressing to be sincerely outraged constantly. I feel for you, brother.

Last edited by GWGrad2013 (6/16/2022 11:26 pm)

6/17/2022 8:46 am  #376

The way the men's team has played the last few years suggests that we, the fans,are the oppressed peoples that the University was concerned about. As for a new moniker, almost every George Washington high school I could find has "Eagles" as their moniker. Looks like AU has screwed us out of that one. 

6/17/2022 8:53 am  #377

Also why is it going to take until possibly 2024 come up with a new mascot? Sad comparisons, including records, to that disgraceful organization formerly known as the Redskins. Incredible, too, is the fact that the university will be using the objectionable "Colonials" for another year or two. The GWs would be a better choice. Let's hope that Chris Caputo can lead us out of this morass. 

6/17/2022 9:23 am  #378

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

Just for fun:
1) GW Nelsons - George’s prized steed he supposedly road into battle on occasion.
2) GW Rebels - Just so our student section could be the Rebel Alliance.
3) GW Splinters - For George’s wooden teeth (urban legend by the way, they were actually made up of a number of things not including wood).
4) GW RIverhorses- Still hippos but classier?
5) GW Baldwins, Todds, Washingtons, Powells, or Warrens - Throw in a non alumni like GW Andreses for good measure.

I actually really really like River Horses. And I really dislike hippo. The Ponies of the Potomac

6/17/2022 9:43 am  #379

GW Foggy Bottoms.  Then have Charmin TP as a sponsor for NIL dollars.

Local San Diego paper finally mentioned GW after many years, noted the name change in a column titled "Off the Wall."  So appropriate

6/17/2022 11:15 am  #380

moneybox wrote:

The way the men's team has played the last few years suggests that we, the fans,are the oppressed peoples that the University was concerned about. As for a new moniker, almost every George Washington high school I could find has "Eagles" as their moniker. Looks like AU has screwed us out of that one. 

With the cash that GW has, we could buy out AU. have another campus, and take their eagle.

As for waiting a year, I agree with you. If Colonials is so offensive, they should get rid of it immediately, and call us the Basketball team, as did the Redskins. If it's bad, but we can wait a year, it's not that bad at all, and maybe check with people outside of the complainants. If I remember correctly, the American Indian population (based on polls) had less than 10% who found Redskins offensive. Hardly a majority.

Of course those that are offended by the Colonials must be against the revolution, and would rather be British, because those colonials made America. They declared our independence, formulated our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. They later called for the end of slavery. Their ancestors joined a world war that was against evil people who wanted to end the world of an entire race.

But what does the truth or facts have to do with it. When we continue to have crime and murder rates increasing, a world war that is going on (everything but multiple areas of battle...clearly it's Russia, Iran, No Ko, and China, against the rest, and the areas of battles can open up in a moment). World wide inflation. A University that is pretty much too expensive for the 'masses' to pay for. An athletic department that can't get itself together.

Maybe there are other, more important things to spend their time and money and effort dealing with. Tutor some inner city kids. Build some programs that will help the poor. Clean the streets. Anything. But all they are doing is the least they can do, and fighting those who don't care, but are wealthy enough to pretend to care.

Sorry, some words on this thread must have triggered me. We're allowed to rant if triggered...aren't we? 

Last edited by chrisw (6/17/2022 12:32 pm)

Board footera