GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2022 12:52 pm  #1

Question for GWRising and/or other GW Fans

It's only been a little more than a month, but I somewhat expected that GW would have landed a few transfers since announcing Chris Caputo as the head coach.  When I read that he was hired, I assumed a few high caliber players that would have followed Coach Caputo to GW. Obviously, that was wrong, but, does anyone here think the lack of any signings to date is an indication of a problem?  

Last edited by 22ndandF (5/04/2022 1:23 pm)

5/04/2022 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Question for GWRising and/or other GW Fans

Not a problem.  I think expectations should be lowered for this year because he was hired and started recruiting late. We will get players - there are tons out there still - but I suspect that like ML (core 4) and Hobbs (Omar/Pops/Hall/Elliot signed), it’s going to be year 2 when the recruiting can really step up.

5/04/2022 2:04 pm  #3

I get your point FQ, but recruiting has changed. There aren't many high-quality players who stay at one school for all their careers, especially at mind-majors. Recruiting has to take place every year now for transfers.  I am not worried yet, but I am getting there. Retaining Lindo was at least a start.

5/04/2022 2:20 pm  #4

I thought we would have a recruit or two by now, especially considering the playing time available.  Getting a little nervous, but keep telling myself there are many players out there.  Maybe CC and staff are really concentrating on next year's class?

Today at 3:30...in 12 minutes, could be a game changer.  

5/04/2022 2:36 pm  #5

Mike K wrote:

I thought we would have a recruit or two by now, especially considering the playing time available.  Getting a little nervous, but keep telling myself there are many players out there.  Maybe CC and staff are really concentrating on next year's class?

Today at 3:30...in 12 minutes, could be a game changer.  

Diaz brothers to Pitt together.

5/04/2022 2:49 pm  #6

22ndandF wrote:

When I read that he was hired, I assumed a few high caliber players that would have followed Coach Caputo to GW.

Just our luck that Miami is one of the unicorn programs that didn't have a single player transfer out this year. 

I hope that we now have either a full or almost full staff means we can get down to actually getting players to commit.  I think it remains to be seen how many of those will be transfers and how many will be freshman.

5/04/2022 7:33 pm  #7

Today CC retweeted tweets from Pam Brown and Rex Chapman, neither of which were hoops or GW Hoops related. “Not that there is anything wrong with that” but hope he is doing it between recruiting trips.

5/04/2022 7:58 pm  #8

NIL Collective Money.  Miami is a unicorn in that they have a :directive" where a single booster has constructed a system where every player will get paid,  If you are a serious D-1 talent who can or has potential to play in the Power 5, at this juncture you are highly unlikely to be making any commitments to GW or similarly situated non NIL collective school.  

5/05/2022 9:00 am  #9

Nobody should have held an expectation that CC would be taking any Miami players with him.  Possibly end-of-bench players who were barely seeing the court but if they're getting paid as well, game-set-match.  Larranaga is still the coach and it's not like CC was going to actively attempt to poach players from his boss of 20 years.

Merrick, while your NIL points are valid with respect to GW, we now see that even a directive is not a panacea as is being played out within Miami basketball.

5/09/2022 6:55 pm  #10

It’s been 5 days since this thread was started…now 5 days isn’t a long time, but I think it is when it is this time of year for college hoops and you have a roster like ours.

Gotta say, I’m getting a little concerned.

5/10/2022 9:07 am  #11

Mike K wrote:

It’s been 5 days since this thread was started…now 5 days isn’t a long time, but I think it is when it is this time of year for college hoops and you have a roster like ours.

It would be nice to get some news soon.

5/10/2022 10:10 am  #12

Free Quebec wrote:

Mike K wrote:

It would be nice to get some news soon.

Relax everyone. GW will name its new lacrosse coach as soon as they finish with their national search and interviews.

5/10/2022 10:27 am  #13

Dunphy got the Drame twins from Saint Peters to commit to La Salle so I believe we are the last team in the A10 with a coaching change to not get a new player this off-season.

5/10/2022 1:07 pm  #14

GW0509 wrote:

Dunphy got the Drame twins from Saint Peters to commit to La Salle so I believe we are the last team in the A10 with a coaching change to not get a new player this off-season.

Yes but JC poached most of his players in June. We realistically have 3-4 months to get 2-3 recruits. Although it's frustrating and boring, it's not time for major concern.

5/10/2022 1:27 pm  #15

I am totally fine with CC taking his time, seeing what he has and what he feels he needs with the current team, and then making decisions about potentially picking up transfers.  That's a much better approach that just immediately grabbing the best players who could be available, regardless of whether or not they fit in with the scheme he intends to run, the culture he intends to create, or the needs of the current team.  There are still plenty of good players out there.  Also, I don't see this as a one-year rebuilt, so I'm not that concerned about filling out the roster this season.  If we struggle this season, but have more roster flexibility for the next couple of years, I am totally ok with that.

5/10/2022 3:00 pm  #16

We have made mistakes by grabbing someone just to fill a spot.
But it would be good for CC to use his skills to get some A-10 higher level recruit soon, if possible.
Not scrapping with lower-level schools for a recruit.
As for the Drame twins from St. Peters, have serious envy of LaSalle from seeing them in the NCAA's.
They were tough, tended to play within themselves and largely held their own and more against high-level competition. 

5/10/2022 4:03 pm  #17

Everyone would be wise to reread Porter71's last two sentences and retain them for future reference.

To the extent that we ought to have some concerns right now, this has little to do with CC finding players and everything to do with finding the right players.  We can always get players.  That's not hard.  However, as more and more time elapses, and we witness players that we'd really like to play here such as the Diaz twins make plans to play elsewhere, it leaves a dwindling pool of quality recruits.  This may be less of an issue due to the transfer portal but there's no law that says we're going to successfully recruit coveted players from the portal as well.

Let's not kid ourselves.  This is not the continuation of a rebuild.  It's instead the start of yet another new rebuild.  And, like it or not, right move or not, it should again push this program at least two additional years (at a minimum) behind the prospect of respectability.

5/11/2022 1:30 pm  #18

The staff is now fully set. Time to get some recruits signed!

7/01/2022 11:41 am  #19

Question for everyone. It seems a little late now, but could Coach Caputo is finished recruiting?  With Bryon transferred to URI, I would hope that he'll at least add a credible point guard, if one's still available. I hate to come off as negative, but I don't see how this particular team could expect to successfully compete without a skilled point guard.

7/01/2022 12:41 pm  #20

22ndandF wrote:

Question for everyone. It seems a little late now, but could Coach Caputo is finished recruiting?  With Bryon transferred to URI, I would hope that he'll at least add a credible point guard, if one's still available. I hate to come off as negative, but I don't see how this particular team could expect to successfully compete without a skilled point guard.

I would not think he's done trying but the options are getting slimmer and slimmer at this point I would imagine. Point guards that can really play at this level are in short supply generally and the good ones in the portal get snapped up quick. Again, I don't see CC compromising just to take a body now. 

Board footera