GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2020 11:09 am  #21

Re: GW games on YouTube

These are 2 games from the 2013-2014 Zeek n Creek team. What I like most about that team is how they exceeded everyone's expectations. They were picked to finish at the bottom of the A10, but ended up being one of the better teams in the A10. Next year's GW team has a similar make up(talented sophomore class, returning SR/upperclassman coming off a productive season) and could make a similar leap to 2013-2014 team depending on whether or not JC can bring in an impact grad transfer like Mo Creek.

3/22/2020 12:46 pm  #22

This is really fantastic guys.  Thanks so much to everyone who contributed links!

3/22/2020 1:56 pm  #23

Karl Hobbs, there's little doubt would have continued to succeed big at GW.  the team was so talented there was barely room for young Rob Diggs and Damian Hollis, if memory serves.

That's the kind of depth of talent when things are really percolating.   The Bench should be some guys you can see succceed in a year or two, those 06-07ish teams were powerhouse of talent.

Karl's done a masterful job with SP on the Raritan.   Damn shame they didn't get to Dance they'd be playing right now as we speak perhaps.   

Lets us all hope JC rises us back, I believe he will.  

Thanks for posts peeps, stay safe and healthy GW fans

3/23/2020 4:12 pm  #24

Hobbs was kind of weird, to put it mildly, at the end because he couldn't get his recruits.
He did build an amazingly athletic team, even without Montrell McDonald, who probably still could help us institute Mayhem.

3/23/2020 6:09 pm  #25

Montrell was great, full of energy!

3/23/2020 7:09 pm  #26

It just goes to show its feasible at GW.   High end talent with the right Coach will pick GW.  Again, international kids, should always be a huge focus.  

Every Coach since the early 90s, given time, brings the team to the tourney.  Jarvis did, Penders inherited one, Hobbs, 3 in a row.   One ML trip

JC will get us back there.

3/23/2020 11:55 pm  #27

Hobbs still has that horrible scowl.  Now sure I'd like to work for/with a person who was always scowling.  I forget - was it Hobbs or Jarvis who stomped their foot when they got mad?

3/24/2020 12:18 am  #28

Karl stomped.  Mike had a stern look and a whistle?  

Karl was a hoot on the court. At times a bit too much of a hoot
 ML grimaced like Tom Coughlin
  Penders rocked the Rand Paul haircut.

Jamion ... well we shall see

3/28/2020 8:49 pm  #29

the 2017 season opener vs. Howard, AKA the Bo Zeigler dunk show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKA0smPg-c 

4/10/2022 6:50 pm  #30

This is the full game of GW beating Maryland(for a 2nd straight year) at the BB&T Classic. I recall that John JUNIOR Feinstein had to turn the BB&T Classic into a 1-day event around 2006 because teams were tired of losing to GW, or didn't want to face GW!! This is probably one of the few games of the great 05-06 GW team that you can find online.

4/10/2022 8:46 pm  #31

Thank you for sharing this Thomas.

8/01/2022 3:33 pm  #32

Not sure if this has been posted here before

8/01/2022 4:03 pm  #33

Thanks for posting.  Would love to rewatch the 1980 game if that is available on YouTube.  Also an absolute classic.

9/05/2022 7:19 pm  #34

A great thing about YouTube is when you find random games that people post, it looks like a long-time Rutgers fan has a bunch of games in his collection and decided to upload this game against GW. Even though this wasn't necessarily a great era of GW basketball, I know those of you who followed the team in the 1980's will like seeing this.

9/05/2022 9:22 pm  #35

Thank you for posting.  Actually, the early 80s was a very special time for GW basketball which unfortunately crashed and burned without achiveing the successes of later teams.  I remember it as being a very exciting time, hiring as coach a Bobby Knight assistant (who sadly adopted the bad parts of Bobby without the coaching success) and saw some very solid teams, anchored by Mike Brown, arguably the most successful ex Colonial in NBA history and some excellent supporring players in Darryl and Troy Webster, Mike O'Reilly, Chester Wood, etc.).   Looking forward to watching the game.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (9/05/2022 9:23 pm)

9/05/2022 10:54 pm  #36

LSF,  you're right the Mike Brown teams appeared to be heading in the right direction, especially when this game took place in February/1983(the announcers mention how young GW's team is) but Gimelstob only brought Bobby Knight's maniacal mannerisms and demeanor to GW, not B.Knight's ability to win games as you wrote! Roy Hinson was Rutgers starting center in this game so we had 2 future NBA players battling here. For GW, the 80's ended with the infamous 88-89 team that's why I figured most GW fans may not have such fond memories of the 1980's, despite the greatness of Mike Brown, who played a long time/started a number of games in the NBA.

While looking for the records of the GW teams during this time, I stumbled upon to see the final score of this game and..I've got to apologize to you(and anyone else who watches this) if this caused more suffering for you!!!

9/06/2022 10:43 am  #37

I would have to disagree with the early 80's being a special time for GW basketball.  Maybe this has solely to do with the initial hire of Gerry Gimelstob, the former Knight assistant who decided to emulate everything about Knight, from his refusal to ever play zone to his distinctive personality.  Once that initial buzz died down, there just wasn't enough talent to surround Mike Brown with.  Take away Bob Tallent's final year at GW (a disastrous campaign which saw Magid/Zagardo/Glenn graduate the year prior and replaced by Wilbert Skipper, a juco transfer who may very have been SirValient's role model) and you'll find that the Tallent era is quite similar to the Gimelstob era.  The GG teams were largely middling .500-type teams.  I don't believe they ever reached the finals of the A10 tournament and even a semifinal appearance would have been rare.  Add in that a number of players could not stand playing for GG (if you think Lonergan was abusive, there are GG anecdotes out there that would make your jaw drop) and you have a pretty mundane era, certainly performance-wise, IMO.   

I'll also add that I knew Gerry fairly well back in the day.  For as tyrannical as he could act, he had a very sarcastic sense of humor (again, much like Knight) that became even more impactful because it came out so rarely.

9/06/2022 11:08 am  #38

Even years after Gimmelstob had packed his things and left, students would still express dismay with things (library hours reduced, a preferred meal option not available, elevator maintenance forcing one to use the stairs, etc...) by saying "fuck you Gerry, I´m transferring." To his credit, he never tossed a chair accross the floor or pulled his team from the court in an international exhibition or got caught on a security camera grabbing a student by the throat, but he was probably just waiting for the right moment to do all three.
Thanks for posting the video. I really hope most (if not all) of the 80´s fashion trends stay in the 80´s and are never reguritated, even as ironic "retro" novelties.

9/06/2022 4:24 pm  #39

Gwmayhem wrote:

I would have to disagree with the early 80's being a special time for GW basketball.  Maybe this has solely to do with the initial hire of Gerry Gimelstob, the former Knight assistant who decided to emulate everything about Knight, from his refusal to ever play zone to his distinctive personality.  Once that initial buzz died down, there just wasn't enough talent to surround Mike Brown with.  Take away Bob Tallent's final year at GW (a disastrous campaign which saw Magid/Zagardo/Glenn graduate the year prior and replaced by Wilbert Skipper, a juco transfer who may very have been SirValient's role model) and you'll find that the Tallent era is quite similar to the Gimelstob era.  The GG teams were largely middling .500-type teams.  I don't believe they ever reached the finals of the A10 tournament and even a semifinal appearance would have been rare.  Add in that a number of players could not stand playing for GG (if you think Lonergan was abusive, there are GG anecdotes out there that would make your jaw drop) and you have a pretty mundane era, certainly performance-wise, IMO.   

I'll also add that I knew Gerry fairly well back in the day.  For as tyrannical as he could act, he had a very sarcastic sense of humor (again, much like Knight) that became even more impactful because it came out so rarely.

Your analagy to the Tallent coached years is appropriate; however my recollection was that these were exciting times, with the bringing in of a big name assistant to coach and the recruitment of Mike Brown, and later Troy Webster and others.  The crowds at the Smith Center were large.  I recall that we hired a marketing firm whose compensatoin was based somewhat on attendance, and the opponants were good.   Teams like West Virginia and (I bleieve) Virginia Tech were in the conference and both had a large and vocal local fan base.  During GImelstob's first season, we won several more games than the previous season and wer were getting decent press.   As stated, the team ultimately crashed and burned and will not necessarily be remembered fondly, but those were exciting times...at least for me.

9/06/2022 4:38 pm  #40

Well LSF, they were certainly exciting when compared with today!

Board footera