GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2022 9:17 am  #201

Re: Recruit: Tafara Gapare, Forward, 2022 - (Committed to Massachusetts)

Bigger question: will Gapare be a Minuteman when UMass comes to the Smith Center in the second semester?

8/10/2022 9:38 am  #202

MG14 wrote:

This off-season has been brutal. Lost our two best players to the portal (including one to an in-conference rival) and our ex-top recruit of all time goes to a different in-conference rival.

"our ex-top recruit of all time" ... Seriously? SMDH

8/10/2022 9:42 am  #203

I am really curious to see what the PT situation is going to be like now. Also would be interested to hear what sort of "recruiting pitch" Frank gave to TG to get him to decommit from DePaul.  I think he was hyping his "big announcement" since before TG decomitted.

Wonder if we'll see a "reopen recruitment" from someone like Reggie Luis Jr. or a transfer from Dyondre Dominguez because Gapare just jumped them on the depth chart?

Does Gapare start over Matt Cross?

Last edited by GW0509 (8/10/2022 9:46 am)

8/10/2022 10:06 am  #204

Like a brand new restauarant that opens in the same shopping center as a town's best restaurant so that it may accommodate their overflow, I think GW should consider opening an Amherst office.  Between the players leaving UMASS because they figured to have more playing time and the players that leave because they can no longer stand the site of Frank Martin's face, it would be efficient to have a GW rep closeby to sign their eventual transfers.

8/10/2022 12:07 pm  #205

GWRising wrote:

MG14 wrote:

This off-season has been brutal. Lost our two best players to the portal (including one to an in-conference rival) and our ex-top recruit of all time goes to a different in-conference rival.

Unless I'm mistaken that isn't wrong. We knew he wasn't coming here for a while but the fact that went to another A10 school hurts. No denying that

8/10/2022 12:28 pm  #206

MG14 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

MG14 wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken that isn't wrong. We knew he wasn't coming here for a while but the fact that went to another A10 school hurts. No denying that

Allen Iverson anyone? Dan Gadzuric or Jordan Crawford ring a bell? Trust me, Gapare is not near the top of the list of missed recruits.

8/10/2022 12:32 pm  #207

GWRising wrote:

MG14 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Allen Iverson anyone? Dan Gadzuric or Jordan Crawford ring a bell? Trust me, Gapare is not near the top of the list of missed recruits.

Sure, but I was referring to players that were actually committed at one point. I'm not old enough to remember if AI, Gadzuric, or Crawford committed at one point. If they were, you're correct.

8/10/2022 12:49 pm  #208

Poog wrote:

Bigger question: will Gapare be a Minuteman when UMass comes to the Smith Center in the second semester?

Given his history, he may be the truest Minuteman of all, in that he is only there for a minute.

8/10/2022 1:15 pm  #209

I don't believe that AI, Gadzuric or Crawford had verbally committed.  Certainly not AI despite Jarvis fostering a close relationship with him.

Let's also distinguish between a guy like Nygel Johnson who verballed to GW, saw his stock rise, and then reopened his recruitment, and someone like Gapare who for all intents and purposes, failed to academically qualify. 

8/10/2022 1:42 pm  #210

You are correct about AI .... Allen did not verbally commit. Crawford had given a silent verbal but apparently couldn't be admitted initially (similar to Gapare) as did Gadzuric early but then UCLA got involved. My understanding was that GW brought Gadzuric over here just as they did Yinka but there was an "understanding" he was coming to GW. So I count him. They eventually lost him to UCLA.

Nigel Johnson was another who ended up at Kansas State I believe.

By the way, my understanding is the issue with Gapare is not qualification it is admittance. Another case of a player who could not be admitted to GW going within the same conference. 

Finally, we will see but my other understanding is that Gapare is not all that some have built him up to be. He might be a solid player eventually but I don't believe he is a pro at least at this point.

In any event, no use crying over a ship that has sailed. Hopefully, Coach Caputo can find better.

Finally, I'll give some of you another name who would have played at GW had he not gone pro ... Dirk Nowitzki. 

Last edited by GWRising (8/10/2022 1:47 pm)

8/10/2022 1:48 pm  #211

Point of my above posts ... stop crying over the girl who doesn't want to or can't be with you and find the one that does.

8/10/2022 2:06 pm  #212

Rising is spot on-time to move on from Gapare.

8/10/2022 4:42 pm  #213

It's certainly legitimate to discuss as we kept his spot open for a long time which affected personnel--and interesting, as he is staying in the conference after allegedly blowing open. We got screwed that way with Darnell, but the specifics and motivation were different. However, going past that--again going past that,
a more important question looms large.
   There are posts all the time here about how Frank Martin landed another recruit (no doubt motivated by the charms of Amherst, Mass and the easygoing Martin's own personal warmth) after recruit after recruit, just this spring and summer. Doesn't it seem, hopefully humorously, like he has some sort of Lurch exception to have a 20-plus person roster?

8/10/2022 5:30 pm  #214

jf wrote:

There are posts all the time here about how Frank Martin landed another recruit (no doubt motivated by the charms of Amherst, Mass and the easygoing Martin's own personal warmth) after recruit after recruit, just this spring and summer. Doesn't it seem, hopefully humorously, like he has some sort of Lurch exception to have a 20-plus person roster?

He was definitely helped by the fact that Matt McCall was a lame duck and so there were a bunch of open scholarships since McCall had no recruits for 2022. 

He also ran off a bunch of guys.  There were probably 1-2 times this offseason where their roster was full and then "suddenly" a holdover would decide to transfer out or not come back for their extra Covid year.

I remember when UMass was in the running for the Diaz twins they only had 1 open scholarship but I was assured by their fans they'd "find a way" to get both brothers to attend.  Ended up not mattering obviously.

8/10/2022 6:35 pm  #215

Academic non-qualifier. Keep consoling yourselves.

8/10/2022 6:39 pm  #216

Even if Gapare had come here, he would be nowhere near our top recruit.  We’ve had multiple top 50 guys (Shawnta was top 20, Ngongba was top 40 iirc).  Ricky Lucas was top 60, JR Pinnock was top 60 on some lists.  Yinka came with a lot more hype than Gapare came with.  So did Omar and Maurice Rice. 

I wanted to see Gapare here, but let’s not get carried away with this. 

Also, does anyone know if academics (admitting people with foreign transcripts) is a factor in why he didn’t come?

8/10/2022 9:09 pm  #217

Academics was the key reason Gaspare didn't come to GW. He had high school courses that he needed to complete and he wouldn't do that. The coaching staff did not blame the Admissions office.

8/11/2022 11:38 am  #218

Free Quebec wrote:

Even if Gapare had come here, he would be nowhere near our top recruit. We’ve had multiple top 50 guys (Shawnta was top 20, Ngongba was top 40 iirc). Ricky Lucas was top 60, JR Pinnock was top 60 on some lists. Yinka came with a lot more hype than Gapare came with. So did Omar and Maurice Rice.

I wanted to see Gapare here, but let’s not get carried away with this.

Also, does anyone know if academics (admitting people with foreign transcripts) is a factor in why he didn’t come?

I agree that he was not the top recruit but I read the statement to mean the top recruit who bolted from us.

Academics 100% the reason.

8/11/2022 11:41 am  #219

AT Hiker wrote:

Academics was the key reason Gaspare didn't come to GW. He had high school courses that he needed to complete and he wouldn't do that. The coaching staff did not blame the Admissions office.

Partly correct. I do think Admissions made it very difficult on the kid though more difficult than it needed to be. I don't think he was 100% ready for GW but he shouldn't be able to be admitted to another school in the conference and not GW. Two separate issues.

8/11/2022 1:01 pm  #220

GWRising wrote:

I do think Admissions made it very difficult on the kid though more difficult than it needed to be. I don't think he was 100% ready for GW but he shouldn't be able to be admitted to another school in the conference and not GW. Two separate issues.

GW is NOT in an athletic conference with academic peer schools. I do not want GW´s admissions office to hold potential students to the same standards that URI, umASS or VCU hold their students to (even if they can drop a double-double on ranked opponents).
If you want to cheer for clodheaded jocks, College Park CC has tickets available most nights. The day we let highly-paid, shoe company-sponsored coaches choose who gains admission to The George Washington University instead of (allegedly) trained academic professionals is the day our very expensive diplomas become very expensive toilet paper.

Board footera