GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2022 11:20 am  #41

Re: This should make everyone happy

There's a middle ground here between saying everything's always Ok no matter what self-destructive
acts are undertaken or remarks university leaders make--and substantially withdrawing support.
 Let's face it: we're all inclined to support GW basketball and it is a large part of our lives. We may wish for healthier interests, but that's the reality. We're here all the time, year round, when there are no games and despite how much GW has resolutely tried to help us totally lose faith.
   GW leadership chose this path of self-destruction. Pretty much those involved are gone, deservedly. One day, GW should right the wrongs done because the real story is very, very ugly. We've been on a six-year nosedive--and to say we shouldn't ever discuss it is ignoring the elephant in the room affecting us today. While we can't take back the truly awful and immoral things that happed around the GW basketball program, we can at least understand why we are here. 
   We went from one NCAA and two NIT appearances, including cutting down the nets at Madison Square Garden to talking about dropping down to DIII in a pretty rapid spiral. Not even the Patriot League. DIII.        Meanwhile, we are changing the name of the team because of just some activist students/strident professors, and their let's gently say, misplaced sensitivity. This constant turmoil doesn't help building back a program. Nor does having interim leadership at the top or a board that makes spineless decisions.
      Add in these presidential remarks, which may have been offhand, a signal flare, or may have been because the interim president comes from a DIII school.  It may have been telling the students what they want to hear. Even if you believed it, you shouldn't say it aloud if you didn't want to even inadvertently damage the program. In a normal world, there would be a long road to travel before this got anywhere near happening, but this is GW. So anything is possible.
    In any case, we can send a message to stop pissing on the program and its biggest fans/supporters, while still supporting sincere efforts from players, coaches and the program. 
     It will probably go unheeded. But emotional connections or not, even for GW, it's probably not a wise course to alienate your best customers and patrons.

9/08/2022 11:24 am  #42

I am not a GWU alumni
but I love College basketball and have attended a lot of games since moving here in 1995
I have partial season tix or share season tix to GWU, GMU, Georgetown, Howard, Washington Wizards, UMD women, UMD volleyball, Howard Volleyball

during the Longeron Period I had my own set of season tix, but gave them up as the team started its decline.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SEAON OF GWU Basketball

No i don't expect GWU to win the NCAA Basketball Tournament but i am looking forward to seeing the teams that are coming to play in Smith Center

Last year's tix worked out to be about $8/game - I sit in the section behind the basket.  That is the cheapest in the area and even with $10 to park - It is cheaper than paying $25-$45 per seat at GMU, and i live on Fairfax County.

Last year i spent $4000 on basketball tix. I retired on 12/31 so i can afford that anymore so my limit this year is $2000.  GWU at $8 a ticket makes it my first choice to see a game. Howard is about $10 a game, My Wizards seats average about $90/game, and my Georgetown Vouchers work out to about $25/game  - all seats are in the lower level otherwise i am staying home and watching on TV.

i have not done any date/time deconfliction yet but these are the games i hope to see. GWU at $8/game makes it my first choice.

i am from the Philly area - Penn Class of 82 and The President of your BoT was a senior when i was a freshman - so i know LaSalle and t. Joe's are in down years - but i will pay $8 to see them but probably not $45 to see them in Fairfax

I hope that those who can come out and support the student athletes - in spite of what the GWU President is hinting at. I hope that those of you who are alums and have a voice muster your forces and make the case for GWU Basketball as the primary athletic focus on campus and the window to the world for many people

and if my relationship makes it to November i may need a 3rd ticket for the listed games to go with my shared pair

I hope every one has a great season
Saturday, October 1, 2022GWU  Hoops Fest Smith CenterTuesday, November 22, 2022George Washington U.UCSDSmith CenterWednesday, November 30, 2022George Washington U.South CarolinaSmith CenterTuesday, December 13, 2022George Washington U.Coppin StateSmith CenterSaturday, January 7, 2023George Washington U.MassSmith CenterSaturday, January 14, 2023George Washington U.#28 St LouisSmith CenterSaturday, January 21, 2023George Washington U.#23 DaytonSmith CenterWednesday, January 25, 2023George Washington U.St JoesSmith CenterWednesday, February 8, 2023George Washington U.RichmondSmith CenterWednesday, February 15, 2023George Washington U.GMUSmith CenterSaturday, February 25, 2023George Washington U.LaSalleSmith CenterSaturday, March 4, 2023George Washington U.VCUSmith Center

9/08/2022 11:54 am  #43

Tell the Prez we need a football team. I thought the deal was to get rid of our football team and improve the basketball team. They are not doing a good job, are they?

9/09/2022 8:55 am  #44

I get the frustration from GW73, but I can't get behind the "break up with her before she breaks up with you" sentiment.  If anything, the program needs your support more than ever.  Ticket sales/attendance, donations, NIL opportunities, television ratings....whatever you can do to help the program is a step in the right direction.

The most important issue is whether these efforts will actually do anything.  I read Michael Schur's book which dealt with philosophy and in essence, how to be a better human being.  (Schur is a tv comedy writer who has created and/or written for The Office, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn 99, Hacks and The Good Place among others.  The latter was his inspiration for the book.  He also co-hosts The Poscast whixch is an excellent podcast with writer Joe Posnanski.)  Anyway, he cites an example of tipping at Starbucks.  Hopefully, all of us do it, but the question is do you wait until the barrista sees you placing the tip in the jar before performing the act, or do you tip regardless of whether your act is being noticed or not?  I'm guessing at least some of us are guilty of the former.

At GW, the Board is the barrista.  Are they looking back at us?  Do they want to see if we're going to tip?  Will they express gratitude or say something to help make our day if we do tip?  Or, do they really not care what we do?  Are their minds made up that regardless of our short-term efforts, it's just not going to be enough to change their attitudes?

Decades ago, the Washington Capitals were "saved" because the team publicly stated that it needed to be saved.  Subsequently, an amazing grass roots campaign, "Save The Caps", was born.  It woukld be nice to hear from the school.  If men's basketball needs to be saved (i.e. remain in the A10), let us know what's needed.  Because the last thing I want is to make a meaningful contribution one year and peruse our D3 schedule the next.

9/09/2022 10:41 am  #45

Gwmayhem - Too put it bluntly, GW never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity to disregard the thoughts and views of alumni, donors, ticketholders, etc. They are in the IDGAF mindset for the most part.  I'm not saying the athletic department - they are trying their best. The problem is above - executives and board. I am virtually certain now that athletics is a rather low priority. But don't just take it from me, they vote with their purse strings. It's rather obvious. It's really too bad because there are good people in the athletic department who are consistently trying to cover for these folks and make chicken salad out of chicken shit. And there is the rest of us who have invested way more into GW athletics in time, energy and money over many years than a few short timers on the board or in executive positions. I saw it all laid bare recently (last 6 years) with the ML and JC terminations. They make it so very hard to support this place and yet out of some sense of loyalty or affinity some of us continue nevertheless. We should probably have our collective heads examined.

9/09/2022 1:18 pm  #46

Why do we have a Division III president in the first place? Not a good fit.

9/10/2022 8:46 am  #47

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Why do we have a Division III president in the first place? Not a good fit.

So was Knapp.

9/12/2022 10:12 am  #48

I finally got around to reading the WRGW blog post about this.  I think I'm in the minority, based on the comments here, but he didn't say we should move down to DIII.  Wheat he said was that if he were around when we started our athletic program that he would have pushed for a DIII direction at that time.  

And, let's face it, he's not wrong that we can't adequately compete for top talent in an NIL era.  We don't have the fan base committed to athletic giving that power conferences have.  

Where the discussion hasn't gone yet is this:  Pretty much every school in every conference that isn't a Power 5 or Big East is in the same boat as we are.  I don't believe we belong in D2 or D3, but I do believe we are in an era of 1A and 1AA, whether it's referred to that or not.  

9/12/2022 10:18 am  #49

BGF, I have to disagree with your last statement.  Do you really feel that certain schools in our own conference, VCU, Dayton, SLU, perhaps now even UMASS and URI, aren't better equipped to capitalize on talent via NIL opportunities, than GW is?  

9/12/2022 10:31 am  #50

I think the schools that have the alumni base and a history of athletic success are much better positioned than we are.  Dayton and SLU for sure.  UMASS and URI, based upon their state university alumni base, yep, them, too.  VCU has a short window for creating NIL success.  Even GMU has the capability, being the largest school in Virginia.

But SBU, LaSalle, St. Joe's, Fordham, Davidson (unless Curry funds them), Duquesne, Richmond, and Loyola are no different than we are.

9/12/2022 10:32 am  #51

I think the schools that have the alumni base and a history of athletic success are much better positioned than we are.  Dayton and SLU for sure.  UMASS and URI, based upon their state university alumni base, yep, them, too.  VCU has a short window for creating NIL success.  Even GMU has the capability, being the largest school in Virginia.

But SBU, LaSalle, St. Joe's, Fordham, Davidson (unless Curry funds them), Duquesne, Richmond, and Loyola are no different than we are.

9/12/2022 11:48 am  #52

BGF, I do agree with this.  Though I would be curious to see what has happened to Loyola's endowment, donations, support, etc. over the past five years or so.

9/13/2022 9:28 pm  #53

jf wrote:

There's a middle ground here between saying everything's always Ok no matter what self-destructive
acts are undertaken or remarks university leaders make--and substantially withdrawing support.
 Let's face it: we're all inclined to support GW basketball and it is a large part of our lives. We may wish for healthier interests, but that's the reality. We're here all the time, year round, when there are no games and despite how much GW has resolutely tried to help us totally lose faith.
   GW leadership chose this path of self-destruction. Pretty much those involved are gone, deservedly. One day, GW should right the wrongs done because the real story is very, very ugly. We've been on a six-year nosedive--and to say we shouldn't ever discuss it is ignoring the elephant in the room affecting us today. While we can't take back the truly awful and immoral things that happed around the GW basketball program, we can at least understand why we are here. 
   We went from one NCAA and two NIT appearances, including cutting down the nets at Madison Square Garden to talking about dropping down to DIII in a pretty rapid spiral. Not even the Patriot League. DIII.        Meanwhile, we are changing the name of the team because of just some activist students/strident professors, and their let's gently say, misplaced sensitivity. This constant turmoil doesn't help building back a program. Nor does having interim leadership at the top or a board that makes spineless decisions.
      Add in these presidential remarks, which may have been offhand, a signal flare, or may have been because the interim president comes from a DIII school.  It may have been telling the students what they want to hear. Even if you believed it, you shouldn't say it aloud if you didn't want to even inadvertently damage the program. In a normal world, there would be a long road to travel before this got anywhere near happening, but this is GW. So anything is possible.
    In any case, we can send a message to stop pissing on the program and its biggest fans/supporters, while still supporting sincere efforts from players, coaches and the program. 
     It will probably go unheeded. But emotional connections or not, even for GW, it's probably not a wise course to alienate your best customers and patrons.

This.

Board footera