GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2022 3:48 pm  #1

Chris Caputo A New GW Era

Excited for it.   A new era dawns.

We've had to deal with firing a Head Coach for abusing the players, two successors faced with very difficult circumstances, the 2nd, a global pandemic 

We've got a new, great Head Coach in Caputo, fresh of an Elite 8 run in the NCAA Tourney

GW is,  despite some challenges  a great place, a hoops hotbed, an international capital in an ever increasingly truly  global sport, a place where until very recently every Coach for 30 years has made the NCAA Tourney, and all but Penders and Lonergan won NCAA tourney games. 

GW is a great place to win, given the time the right Coaches always succeed at GW.

Here's to the new era!  

Last edited by The Dude (9/13/2022 3:57 pm)

9/13/2022 4:07 pm  #2

Re: Chris Caputo A New GW Era

Ummm Dude  Chris Caputo was hired on April 1, 2022. The new era has been underway for almost 5-1/2 months. Nice of you to notice though.

9/13/2022 4:23 pm  #3

All but Penders and Lonergan won NCAA tourney games.

That would be Jarvis and Hobbs.

Technically, Hobbs won just one NCAA tournament game so just Jarvis won NCAA tournament games as in plural.  As in, ever, dating back to the 1906-07 season.

That said...

Jarvis reached the school's only Sweet 16 and coached the team to 3 NCAA tournament wins and 4 NCAA tournament appearances, each being the most in school history.
Hobbs coached the only regular-season undefeated conference team and is the only coach to have won two conference championship (nobody else has even won one)
Lonergan coached the school to an NIT Championship, the only national title in school history.

So I would agree with The Dude that the right coaches succeed at GW.

9/13/2022 4:52 pm  #4

Here we go again.....

9/13/2022 6:45 pm  #5

During these last 30 years, GW has also simaltaneosly had, generally fantastic women's teams, including the WNBA MVP Jonquel Jones, who seeks the WNBA title this week.

While the men have stumbled to only one NCAA Tourney appearance in the last decade, the women have made NCAA Tourney apperances in 2018 2016 2015, 18 trips in the last 30 years, 18 NCAA tourney wins.

Don't fall for the you can't win at GW trope.   GW can win big and will win big again

9/13/2022 9:29 pm  #6

One day he will realize nobody cares

9/14/2022 2:17 pm  #7

Dude should have worked on his spelling and grammar while at his recent rehab stint. Rare to see such blatant misspellings in the age of "auto spellcheck".

Welcome back Dude. Make sure you follow your "12 steps"!

9/14/2022 6:45 pm  #8

Mike Jarvis untapped the potential for what  a great program GW could be.  Hobbs took it to even greater levels in some ways.
The only time this wasn't a great job to have for 30 years was in the aftermath of having to fire the Coach for abusing the players, Mojo was handed an impossible follow up job.  

Taking a 30 years look back view at 3 decades, that's what you see.  Big potential, in some ways yet to be fully realized, every Coach successful to varying degrees, every Coach in the NCAA tourney over a quarter century span.  Abusive Coach firing scandal was going to set the program back years, minimum and it did.

This is otherwise a great job with huge potential
That GW can land a talent like Chris Caputo shows it, may he take us to a new zenith in time!!

9/15/2022 8:54 am  #9

Barry, he can't follow your very simple rule.  He can't help himself.  He has no self-control.  The Dude should be permanently banned from this site once and for all.

All you've asked is that we all move on from Lonergan here.  Mentioning him within the context of his coaching record or his team's on-court performance is and should be fair game.  However, in this thread alone, The Dude has referred to "player abuse" three times, each time unprovoked, along with a few additional unflattering references.  He's doing this because he's bored or because he just likes to stir up trouble on this site, or simply because he's just a general POS.  Can likely be all of the above.

In any event, you've given him seemingly countless numbers of chances and he continues to blatantly disrespect you by refusing to abide by your one very simple request.  I understand that it's not your nature to "ban" people and I can appreciate this up to a certain point.  That said, haven't we passed this point?  If not, how many more times must he attempt to piss off this board with his juvenile antics before he's gone for good?

I know you enjoy his positivity but it's time to realize that this is just a charade for keeping the Lonergan story alive (not to mention spreading false information, but I won't go there) so that he may antagonize the readers of this site.  Just my opinion, hopefully shared by others, but it's time for him to go spoil someone else's site and leave this one alone.  For good.

9/15/2022 1:24 pm  #10

I don't know Gwmayhem. If you ban him, I will miss the references to "America's Greatest Coach" (that never won a national championship), the recruiting and GW hyperbole, and the fact that he reminds us probably weekly that ML never should have been fired. He is a source of amusement here for sure. If you look at him through that lens, it's much easier to deal with. Every message board needs a board clown and the Dude fills that role very well.

9/15/2022 2:16 pm  #11

I am nothing if not reasonable GWRising.  How about this?  He gets banned for two years.  Then, in two years, we can all decide whether he was greatly missed or not, and whether his absence was for the better or not.  Sound like a plan?

9/15/2022 3:49 pm  #12

Ban him Barry!
He's the 2nd head of the 2 headed snake - Brian Paul being the other. 
Things were going so well the last month or so until this clown came back.
Ban him before things pick up here as we quickly approach November.
Brian Paul and dude can start their own little board and call it "Truth Social at GW Hoops"!

9/15/2022 6:23 pm  #13

Easy to get excited about the new era and GW's new Coach, great interview today if you haven't listened yet do give a listen- best new GW hire since Jarvis IMO!!

9/16/2022 7:46 am  #14

Another interview with Coach Caputo dropped yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofONSUCs5Rw

9/16/2022 11:57 am  #15

Good find - another outstanding interview. His sense of the team's biggest strength as we head into the season?  Experience!  That's something that cannot be taught!

9/16/2022 12:48 pm  #16

Thank you for sharing MG14.   Another great interview.

9/16/2022 1:14 pm  #17

I think he knows exactly how to sell recruits on GW.  And I think the word sell is important.  Given the state of the program, CC will need to have some salesmanship in him.  I think he's more eager to find the high school/AAU player who he can sell on helping to develop their game for a professional career than he is the transfer portal.  Not that he would not gladly welcome transfers but I don't think he's going to become over-reliant on them either.

9/16/2022 1:41 pm  #18

Gwmayhem wrote:

I think he knows exactly how to sell recruits on GW.  And I think the word sell is important.  Given the state of the program, CC will need to have some salesmanship in him.  I think he's more eager to find the high school/AAU player who he can sell on helping to develop their game for a professional career than he is the transfer portal.  Not that he would not gladly welcome transfers but I don't think he's going to become over-reliant on them either.

I think it was either CC or our dearly departed scouting director Eric Rubenstein that said when they first got on campus they had the players go through the same drills they'd do at the NBA Combine and then measured their results up against the benchmark of players who get drafted.  Basically said if you want to get to the NBA you have to increase your scores here, here, and here.

I realize the combine drills/stats are not some state secret that only CC knows, but it goes to Mayhem's point about salesmanship. I'm sure it's helpful for CC to point at the handful of players he's helped go pro.  It obviously helped us retain Lindo and Bishop this offseason.

9/16/2022 3:17 pm  #19

keithgreene wrote:

Good find - another outstanding interview. His sense of the team's biggest strength as we head into the season?  Experience!  That's something that cannot be taught!

Agreed! excellent interview!

9/16/2022 5:16 pm  #20

Joel Joseph wrote:

Ban him Barry!
He's the 2nd head of the 2 headed snake - Brian Paul being the other. 
Things were going so well the last month or so until this clown came back.
Ban him before things pick up here as we quickly approach November.
Brian Paul and dude can start their own little board and call it "Truth Social at GW Hoops"!

You know, BP is no longer a member of this Board community. What has happened in the past is the past, and I don’t think it’s appropriate to be insulting someone who is not here to defend themselves.

I don’t need people to like each other nor do I need the board not to include disagreements, but I think there’s a certain amount of respect that is called for no matter what has occurred in the past.

I know I do not enjoy reading certain people’s posts, especially those where members of our community insult each other. The way I handle that is not by banning them, but simply by ignoring them.

Board footera