GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2022 9:14 pm  #1

Temp head for Celtics

Joe Mazzulla..expected..(Wash Post)

Last edited by russianthistle (9/22/2022 9:16 pm)

9/23/2022 9:16 am  #2

Re: Temp head for Celtics

It's impressive that Joe Mazulla has risen up the coaching ranks this quickly, maybe it's the Bob Huggins connection that helped, BUT...we need to address the elephant in the room here...WHAT THE HELL DID IME UDOKA DO??? The fact that the Celtics immediately suspended him for a full season and Ime Udoka just accepted it and gave the "I Let My Family Down" aka "I'm Guilty as Hell" statement shows he probably did some "untoward activities" with a number of Celtics female staffers!! 

9/23/2022 11:06 am  #3

Thomas wrote:

It's impressive that Joe Mazulla has risen up the coaching ranks this quickly, maybe it's the Bob Huggins connection that helped, BUT...we need to address the elephant in the room here...WHAT THE HELL DID IME UDOKA DO??? The fact that the Celtics immediately suspended him for a full season and Ime Udoka just accepted it and gave the "I Let My Family Down" aka "I'm Guilty as Hell" statement shows he probably did some "untoward activities" with a number of Celtics female staffers!! 

Hold on Thomas slow your roll. It was one staffer and it was consensual but because the staffer was a subordinate and therefore, it is a HR no-no regardless of the fact that Udoka is married. The problem (not a problem in the sense that it was wrong to have a policy) for many organizations in the Me Too era is that they wrote very tough policies about these types of relationships which give them very little leeway for different types of punishments even when there is consent. The fact that it was a subordinate means that consent is not freely given and therefore a violation of HR policy (almost a strict liability type of analysis). If there was not consent, Udoka would have likely been gone on the spot. But let's not put forth facts ("untoward activities" with a number of Celtics female staffers) that aren't in evidence here (at least what has been reported so far).

9/23/2022 11:41 am  #4

GWRising,  you could be right, it may just be 1 staffer. The reason I sort of jumped to conclusions is because of the way Ime Udoka has accepted his punishment, admitted his guilt and basically disappeared! There's no "these are all lies"/"how do I get my reputation back" sort of statements coming from him(or his famous fiancée) at this point, although he could be meeting with lawyers to plan his next move. Also, the 1-year suspension may indicate that this was a lot more than just an affair between 2 consenting adults. My thinking was that the Celtics took these harsh actions because a lot more was about to come out about Ime Udoka's behavior, and they wanted to get ahead of that 

9/23/2022 4:23 pm  #5

Thomas wrote:

GWRising,  you could be right, it may just be 1 staffer. The reason I sort of jumped to conclusions is because of the way Ime Udoka has accepted his punishment, admitted his guilt and basically disappeared! There's no "these are all lies"/"how do I get my reputation back" sort of statements coming from him(or his famous fiancée) at this point, although he could be meeting with lawyers to plan his next move. Also, the 1-year suspension may indicate that this was a lot more than just an affair between 2 consenting adults. My thinking was that the Celtics took these harsh actions because a lot more was about to come out about Ime Udoka's behavior, and they wanted to get ahead of that 

They didn’t “immediately “ suspend him.  When they got wind of this over the summer they hired an outside law firm  who did an investigation and delivered a report. And as a practical matter- if there was a “lot more that was about to come out,” he’d already be gone. CEO’s get fired for what he did these days. He’s lucky he got a one year suspension, as severe as that may seem.

9/23/2022 4:49 pm  #6

This is not Elton Jantjies sneaking off from national team camp to schtup the team nutritionist and then leave the hotel room unpaid (also happened this month!), this was a boss having a long-term affair with an employee in violation of HR policy and good taste. Want to be a leader? Then don´t fuck the people you are hired to lead. It was why what Bill Clinton did with his young intern wrong, It was why Arnold Schwartzenneger went from being a potential political riser to a has-been actor. A one-year suspension seems pretty wishy-washy (shouldn´t this be a reason for dismissal with cause?).
In any case, good for someone with few degrees of separation from GW to get a chance to shine on the big stage. And at the franchise the Only Man Allowed to Smoke in the Smith Center built! So let´s focus on the GW tie-ins and less on the ribald aspects.

9/23/2022 5:11 pm  #7

Think his success last year might have something to do with not being fired?

9/24/2022 1:56 pm  #8

Haven't followed this,other than noting it is Mazzulla's brother.
But this topic is indeed reminiscent.

9/24/2022 3:50 pm  #9

jf wrote:

Reminiscent of what?

9/26/2022 9:08 am  #10

jf wrote:

Younger brother and former GW player Justin Mazzula is now a grad assistant for his home state URI.

https://gorhody.com/staff-directory/justin-mazzulla/463

Board footera