GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2022 5:13 pm  #1

Is anyone going to the GW Hoops event tomorrow at the Smith Center?

I'll be there.

9/30/2022 5:56 pm  #2

Re: Is anyone going to the GW Hoops event tomorrow at the Smith Center?

Coach Caputo will be there, after he initially stated he would be unable to attend.  I had originally abandoned my plans to attend, but upon hearing that the head coach will be there, so will I, along with Wisconsin Colonial and Mrs. Long Suffering Fan.  So with Keith, I guess that makes 4 of us.

9/30/2022 6:18 pm  #3

Tentatively yes unless the remnants of the hurricane gets in the way.

9/30/2022 8:19 pm  #4

If this board is any kind of barometer of fan support, and I sorta think it is, I must say that I am concerned about just how little fan support there is for the Colonials these days. 

9/30/2022 9:12 pm  #5

I will be the one with the name badge that says KEITH GREENE!  LOL!

9/30/2022 10:22 pm  #6

i plan on going

10/01/2022 8:07 am  #7

I'll be there with my son.

10/01/2022 10:25 am  #8

I will be there.

10/01/2022 10:52 am  #9

For those also going, please say hi to me!!

10/01/2022 10:56 am  #10

Glad to see a few going.  Please provide a recap of anything observed or learned for those of us unable to attend.  Thanks

10/01/2022 4:01 pm  #11

Don’t look for Jabari West anytime soon, if at all, this season.0

10/01/2022 4:29 pm  #12

Injured?

10/01/2022 5:33 pm  #13

PKGW wrote:

Injured?

Yep. I overheard this from CC too. He wouldn’t violate HIPAA so no clue what the injury is. 

CC said it’s been hard for him to know how far off Jabari is because he’s been so limited in practice.

10/01/2022 7:57 pm  #14

Overall, the guys look in better shape, especially Ricky, Noel, Brandon and Hunter.  Very positive spirit amongst the players.  Qwanzi Samuels may be most popular amongst the players themselves.

10/01/2022 11:11 pm  #15

MY Opinion
- not facts - 

I thought the event was a waste of time. Seemed to be haphazard and thrown together.
Event seemed to be part of a larger Alumni weekend so the initial part was walk around the court, meet the players, get autographs and shoot baskets.

I didn't notice a lot of students in the audience
I would have preferred a more structured approach
Coaches
introduce staff and players
players introduce themselves and a reflection of last season - or why they came here if transfers and hopes for the season - both personal and team
a  simple walkthrough
    1)  daily practice drills /routines
    2) Offensive sets
    3) defensive sets
    4) transition theory and simulation
b) from coaches
    what are the goals and expectations for this years team
    what does the team expect want from the fan base
    what is the team doing to increase turnout from both students and non student fans
c) missed an opportunity for NIL sales for the players
d) raffles for some new gear, signed basketballs
e) should have offered something like a GWU BBall Supporter t shirt for a $50 donation to  the teams
or a box lunch for a $25 donation to the team

f) nothing was mentioned about when tix actually go on sale, various packages and pricing
some open seats were marked with a price tag but  there were no salesmen nor staff there to finish a sale

g) could have raffled off a trip to Hawaii with the team and made money for the program

that being said - i still plan on attending 9 or 10 home games this season

10/02/2022 9:24 am  #16

Haphazard and thrown together was an apt description.   The "meet and greet" portion of the event was the season ticket holders sitting or milling around the room where pregame reception was held, with no structure or planned remarks, witih the only refreshments being small bowls of M & Ms on the table.  And they weren't even the buff and blue M and Ms that we get at the games.  The one positive, and it was a big positive, was that the men's and women's coaches mingled with the crowd and was williong to answer any question presented to him by the individuals.  (That is where I asked CC about the status of Jabari West and got the answer we suspected but were hoping against, namely injured and out indefinitely).  During this time, a hand full of players were shooting around with the children in the crowd, and a few adults. Then the event moved to the arena, where there was an introduction of each player on both teams, after which the players mostly sat by themselves with the exception of Bishop, Adams, a couple of the women's players and the respective coaches.  This portion, which occurred about 1 hour after the scheduled start time, was the first time a microphone was used.  Softball questions were asked of all, first by Tanya then by members of the crowd.  (I did ask what changes in style we can atncipate).  Someone asked for suggestions for the new team name and Bishop responded the Generals.   CC then pointed out that the Washington Generals never won any games.   We then got instructions on how to cheer from I believe one of the members of the cheer squad.  (It was at this point that Wisconsin Colonial and I left).     I am happy to have attended (I wasn't planning on it until we learned that the coach had a change of plans and would atttend), mainly because being in the Smitty, hearing the pep band, seeing the cheer teams, etc. has gotten me more excited about the rapidly approaching season.  still, at least from my perspective, the prior years events, whereby we would witness an open practice, a short scrimmage then mingling with the players and coaches afterwards, wth a nice meal served, would have been my preferable event.   FYI...I asked about when we may expect invoices for the season tickets.  Apparently, the holdup is (I believe) due to the transition to Ticketmaster.  It looks like paper tickets have gone the way of the VCR and are now obsolete.
One other thing...I asked the coach who he thought we would be most pleasantly surprised at.  I will give you the opportunity to take some guesses before I reveal his answer.

10/02/2022 9:43 am  #17

I can now place the face with the Long Suffering Fan name, based on what occurred yesterday.  At least I now know one person who comments on here with a pseudonym.

10/02/2022 10:24 am  #18

Now in all fairness, I suspect the season ticket diehards, of which I consider myself to be on, was not the target audience of the event, but rather the alumni and others that were in attendance as part of a weekend of events.   Also, from my brief interactions with CC, both one on one and during the Q & A session, I continue to get the impression that he knows his stuff and has a definite plan for the team.   And yes, there were several positive references to Samuels, who appears to be very popular with the team.  (Selected as most likely to be a future coach some day).   But I also thought that Basketball Jones had some clever suggestions in terms of marketing the team.  Certainly based upon the past few seasons, some inovative marketing techniques may be needed, until we can reach the point of success on the Court as the best marketing tool.

10/02/2022 5:41 pm  #19

The event was better than having nothing, but I was a bit shocked that the only food was M&Ms. 

10/02/2022 6:10 pm  #20

We're using Ticketmaster now?

Board footera