GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2022 7:49 pm  #21

Re: Recruit: Trey Autry, Guard, 2023 - Committed to GW!!

Figured Trey deserves his own thread.  Sure looks like a fantastic first HS recruit for CC and staff.   Great stroke from 3, very bouncey, good frame looks every part the Power 5 caliber recruit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf9kGLisuaE

"First year George Washington head coach Chris Caputo landed a big verbal commitment on Monday morning from Western Reserve Academy and City Rocks guard Trey Autry.The son of Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry, Trey was under-recruited throughout most of his career as many coaches assumed he would follow his father to the ACC, even after he publicly said it “wasn’t a consideration.”

It wasn’t until the summer that the level of his recruitment started to catch-up with his production on the court as he landed offers from the likes of Maryland and Nebraska among others, after averaging over 13 points and 2 assists per game in the EYBL.    

GW had already made Autry a priority at that point though.“I really liked how the whole coaching staff is invested in me,” Autry told 247Sports. “The coaches emphasized an opportunity to play early, which is something that I really focused on during my recruitment. I also really like their vision on how they can develop my game.” 

Autry is a highly skilled combo-guard with a high acumen for the game. He shoots it well from behind the arc with a compact release, has a complimenting pull-up game, and is capable of playing both on and off the ball. He has good positional size at 6-foot-3 and a very strong frame."

Last edited by The Dude (10/18/2022 7:49 pm)

10/18/2022 9:00 pm  #22

Looking forward to seeing the next great GW guard! 

If I remember right, Caputo said in a recent interview that the analytics show there is generally a correlation between averaging double figures at EYBL and success at this level.

10/19/2022 9:05 am  #23

Thx FQ. This deserves top billing. Really good news. Hope him getting to campus and the team won’t be a House of the Dragon outake.

Last edited by FredD (10/20/2022 6:21 am)

10/19/2022 11:47 am  #24

He sure looks like it!

The pure stroke with the big hops is quite the combo.  The handle also looks legit.

10/19/2022 2:22 pm  #25

"the son of Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry"

Lets not let facts get in the way of our narrative.

I'm hoping Trey has a great career at GW but I'll wait on the accolades until he actually shows up and plays some games. Been let down by GW so many times before. If he was an actual Power 5 recruit as some here say, he would be playing for his dad and close to home and friends/family.

Now CC needs to develop him and surround him with other capable players (like ML did with McDonald, Larsen, Savage and company).

10/19/2022 2:54 pm  #26

Syracuse assistant coach not head coach. (although thought to be the next coach once Boeheim retires)

Definitely had power 5 offers (visited Cincinnati) but you never know what order of priority he was. They just got a verbal from a pg so that might have been the decider. 

Either way he appears to be a very solid get for CC and staff

10/19/2022 3:00 pm  #27

Joel Joseph wrote:

"the son of Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry"

Lets not let facts get in the way of our narrative.

I'm hoping Trey has a great career at GW but I'll wait on the accolades until he actually shows up and plays some games. Been let down by GW so many times before. If he was an actual Power 5 recruit as some here say, he would be playing for his dad and close to home and friends/family.

Now CC needs to develop him and surround him with other capable players (like ML did with McDonald, Larsen, Savage and company).

I don't know whether Autry was at the Power 5 level talent-wise or not but he was at least close from what I saw from his games in EYBL. I've been told by two other college head coaches that this was a good first get for CC at GW. One is a current Power 5 coach and the other a lower major coach. 

But with any recruit the question ultimately becomes how they develop once they get here. Being a college coach's son, Trey will undoubtedly have an advantage as far as some understanding of what he can expect and what the development process entails. He will also receive solid guidance/support at home. All things being equal this should aid in his development as a college player.

I would be pretty optimistic here but with the knowledge that we have all seen heralded recruits from every coach at GW in the last 30 years not pan out as advertised. 

10/19/2022 3:20 pm  #28

One correction GWRising- we've all seen heralded recruits from every coach at every school in the last 30 years not pan out as advertised.

10/19/2022 3:28 pm  #29

danjsport wrote:

One correction GWRising- we've all seen heralded recruits from every coach at every school in the last 30 years not pan out as advertised.

Fair enough.

10/19/2022 3:28 pm  #30

You never know until they play and sometimes years after that.
Nonetheless, we are happy to get Trey.
And look forward to more skilled players as Coach CC and assistants put together a highly competitive team for the future.

10/19/2022 3:38 pm  #31

Excited to see him out there!

10/19/2022 9:15 pm  #32

It's a great "get" for the program and for CC.  He sounds like a well-rounded guy!

10/20/2022 2:29 pm  #33

Guards with Power 5 offers and high pedigree prospect profiles have been pretty good bets at this level.

The Frontcourt you see a lot more of a mixed bag.  

Trey Autry has a similar profile and offer history to Brayon Freeman.  

10/21/2022 8:06 am  #34

Trey discusses why he chose GW.  Some cool tidbits on how CC and staff are making their pitch: https://twitter.com/A10Vault/status/1583428730210332672

Last edited by GW0509 (10/21/2022 8:06 am)

10/21/2022 9:19 am  #35

Thanks for posting GW0509.  Good stuff.

10/21/2022 11:33 am  #36

Good find.
He seems to fit the mold of previous successful players at GW - coachable, ready to put in the work, talented and more concerned about being an important piece in a program from the start vs going to a Power 5 program and warming the bench. I hope CC can get a few more like him.

10/21/2022 11:34 am  #37

Really good find,0509.
We got a thoughtful young man.
 It also shows that this year Elite 8 ACC level coach's experience and reputation can make a 
difference in landing good players. 
Let's look for Trey to help us get more.

10/21/2022 12:43 pm  #38

Now.....about that second recruit...

10/21/2022 12:49 pm  #39

There is a second and now possibly a third coming soon. Fingers crossed.

10/21/2022 1:20 pm  #40

Thanks for the update. 

Board footera