GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2022 11:15 am  #1

Coppin State

Some serious allegations in a lawsuit filed by a former Coppin State men's basketball (our 12/13 opponent) player. I would be lying if it did not remind me of a deadspin article from 2018.

11/16/2022 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Coppin State

Obviously a very horrifying and disturbing story.

Since our former coach has been alluded to, allow me to share this Twitter exchange from earlier in the week:

Jaden Daly @DalyDoseOfHoops               

Your obligatory reminder that @MikeLonergan got absolutely screwed by Patrick Nero's pathetic hatchet job and off-base agenda

Mike Lonergan

I wish more members of the media had your courage and ethics.  Instead they stay silent despite knowing the truth.  You are a good man Jaden!

And, hot off the Twitter presses from ML earlier today:

Happy 7th Anniversary to all those involved with this monumental victory (the win over UVA).  The best was yet to come until those in power in Foggy Bottom decided to ignore the truth and destroy their own program.  Sad but true.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (11/16/2022 2:00 pm)

11/16/2022 2:27 pm  #3

While horrifying and deeply troubling, this is a well-known problem throughout athletics. It is unfortunately FAR more prevalent than anyone wants to admit or publicly speak about. Moreso at the high school and club level because there are less checks and balances and younger kids are an easier mark. Parents, do your homework and be careful who your kids associate with ... there are many groomers, pedophiles and sexual abusers in the ranks of athletics.

Having had all of my kids play sports through college, my wife and I were very vigilant about who they associated with. We never let them travel without at least one of us being around. We checked and double checked on their coaches. I cannot stress enough that you need to be careful out there at every level. It is a very unfortunate dark underbelly of competitive sports.

11/16/2022 2:31 pm  #4

Hard to believe the UVA game was 7 years ago today! Looking at the Facebook photos that popped up today on the sites of those that were there, what sticks out to me most is the full stands and everyone in white. Glorious days indeed.

As for Coppin State's current issues, doesn't surprise me. Our student athletes continue to be victimized in numerous ways with certain college administrations turning a blind eye. The details of this story are horrific. This coach should be prosecuted. Unfortunately, GW's predator never was.

11/16/2022 2:46 pm  #5

ML ——The best advice I can give you-mourn and move on.

11/16/2022 3:06 pm  #6

GW69, just curious.  If you rightfully blew the whistle on your supervisor and your company mistakenly decided to side with your supervisor causing your career to be taken out from under you, would you be easily able to move on?  Under these circumstances, young men who you swore to their parents to take care of while in college, only to have at least one of them fall victim to a sexual predator who just happened to be your supervisor, and yet you were the one who lost your job, would you ever be able to move on?

Look, the very easy, mature thing to say and do is to move on.  And maybe, you personally would have an easier time than most under these circumstances.  But as someone who has professionally studied human behavior as you have claimed in the past, you must be cognizant of the fact that there are many different types of people in this world.  Some can forgive and forget no matter what.  Some will hold grudges no matter how big or small the issue.  In this particular instance, WHAT happened and WHY it happened and HOW unjust the end result was are all likely way too big for ML (and many others if they were in his shoes) to move on from.  You can say move on all you like but if ML still acknowledges on Twitter this unbelievably unfair time that put an end to his coaching career, it's a pretty safe bet that he's not about to. 

11/16/2022 3:52 pm  #7

I lost my fiancée in a car accident when I was a senior at GW.My father was psychotic.I’ve lost many friends.
I spent 13 years in therapy where I  allowed myself to feel what I needed to feel.Great sadness.
I have helped many people in my practice to MOURN -which can be a long process.Years maybe.
On the other side of the mourning life begins again.I know it -I’ve lived it-and I’ve seen it-up close and 
personal.I don’t mean to diminish ML’s situation-but on a scale of 1 to 10 it’s a 5.Not nothing -but I’ve seen 
much worse.

11/16/2022 4:15 pm  #8

GW69 - save the counseling for dude. I have held the hand of hundreds (if not thousands) of my clients over the years through the most stressful events in their lives. Great bio but it's got nothing to do with the price of tea in China or ML. Practice what you preach, sit back and relax and you too will survive the next 3-4 years of "suck" with the remaining few of us left who call themselves GW hoop fans, despite being reminded every week about where are program once was.
This should help you - I have a feeling we will win big against  UMES and be 3-1!

11/16/2022 4:25 pm  #9

This board was getting too tolerable for everyone, eh? 
Lock and move this thread please!

11/16/2022 4:30 pm  #10

You’re right fellas.—How about those Commanders!!

11/16/2022 4:50 pm  #11

GW69 wrote:

I lost my fiancée in a car accident when I was a senior at GW.My father was psychotic.I’ve lost many friends.
I spent 13 years in therapy where I  allowed myself to feel what I needed to feel.Great sadness.
I have helped many people in my practice to MOURN -which can be a long process.Years maybe.
On the other side of the mourning life begins again.I know it -I’ve lived it-and I’ve seen it-up close and 
personal.I don’t mean to diminish ML’s situation-but on a scale of 1 to 10 it’s a 5.Not nothing -but I’ve seen 
much worse.

GW69, I think this badly misses my point.  Who are you to decide that what happened to ML is a 5?  Maybe he feels it's more like a 9?  Maybe some of things you'd consider to be a 9 he would only consider a 5?  We are all different human beings.  Maybe part of the way he mourns is to express himself on Twitter given his inability to speak publicly on this ordeal.  

Am very sorry you've experienced intense grief in your life.  I imagine most of us have as well.  But as Joel alludes, what ML has experienced is unique to ML.  Not really incumbent upon any of us to mandate that he move on.

11/16/2022 5:06 pm  #12

ML was screwed over and he, as most would be, is without doubt still angry that his livelihood was unfairly taken away from him. It is not going to change anything but sometimes as GW69 should know, there is a catharsis in venting on social media or elsewhere. As time passes like most things adjustment will occur but asking ML just to mourn and move on is a little too flip and surprising coming from you GW69.

11/16/2022 5:15 pm  #13

Lmaooooooo now we are comparing traumas. Just stop. ML has every right to feel how he does and I'm sure is constantly reminded about what he had. As should all of you every time you see a losing record in March.

11/16/2022 5:20 pm  #14

He would feel better if he did.Not mandating -just sayin.Obviously he will do what he wants.People can choose to be stuck or not.Everybody who walked through the door thought they were a 10.I treated them as such.Some people had a lot more to mourn than others.That’s all I’m saying.ML can live his life any way he
wants.So can we all.-Back to sports.Sorry I commented.

11/16/2022 5:28 pm  #15

Steve wrote:

This board was getting too tolerable for everyone, eh? 
Lock and move this thread please!

Seems like we're having a perfectly respectful discussion.  Maybe we can all refrain from asking to move the thread every time ML's name/situation comes up.  He is an important person as to explaining why we've been where we've been these past 6 years (and are hopefully on our way towards improving as a program).

If the discussion gets out of hand, then sure, move the thread.

11/16/2022 5:33 pm  #16

GW69, I am still surprised by your response. As you well know, mourning is a subjective thing. By your own admission, everyone thinks their issues are very important. I once knew someone who had tragically lost a spouse at a young age. Moved on fairly quickly. However, later, that same person lost a dog and was unable to function for a time. Point is you continue to diminish ML's anger. His anger is unique to him. We all have things that we value differently. Of course, ML would feel better if he let it go. But why should he let it go? Maybe his career was the most important thing to him after his family. When you say some people had a lot more to mourn than others, you are imposing your value judgment not theirs. And, since you are a trained professional, I thought you weren't supposed to do that.

11/16/2022 5:34 pm  #17

Before this thread is locked (and it shouldn't be, though it's fine to move to rewind).
Appreciate GW69's professional insights and human experience and certainly understand his point. 
   But we need to understand ML's career perspective. From his point of view, he built up his career,
turned down triple his salary and was brought down by a scandal that doesn't seem to be a scandal,
according to Deadspin and what we know, both collectively and individually.
I don't know, but somewhere around the age of 50 with a wife and I believe five kids, he lost his livelihood.
He may never have to work again thanks to GW, but needs to do something to occupy his time and have health insurance, especially. And pretty sure he loves basketball and in fact, sports.
  ML had worked all his life for this spot that he had, climbing up the ladder. He may never coach again, starting at the level he had attained. ML could have climbed the coaching ladder further
later, probably at a point of his choosing.
     The way he lives his life, and people who have come forward and been identified, refute the allegations and insinuations that were first published. In fact, a great article with both
sides and video in Deadspin portrayed the situation, which is way more complex and frankly really disturbing
than portrayed.
   So maybe there's more to ML's situation, but what we've heard publicly and privately, and have seen, don't justify his firing and the pettiness afterward (NIT rings, essentially being cropped out of pictures/video/history, etc).
  Whatever happened, GW felt uncomfortable enough defending the firing that they coughed up around $3 million, a figure that can be cited confidently.
   Hopefully, he won't be mocked here again for his current line of work, which is interesting in regard to the unsubstantiated allegations.
    But ML's whole professional life was turned upside down in the most productive, highest earning time of his career, as an odd payback for loyalty.
    So he can celebrate the big win over a top 10 team. And he's earned his bitterness.
Unless someone comes up with some really important info otherwise, it's understandable.
   It appears to be morally and personally wrong, a point which seems to be missing sometime in our desire to just forget about it.
We haven't had any big triumphs for awhile and have had some stunning losses to way lower-regarded/
teams. Now, we have a promising coach with bigtime experience and some seemingly good recruits.
   Maybe we'll air the stench of this situation out sometime in the foreseeable future.
But from a fan perspective, it's been a six year rebuild over very questionable circumstances. It also featured a very unusual elevation in the coaching staff once it happened, and all sorts of related staff mysteries and resignations.
If you don't care about what happened to the coach, want to ignore that this happened, or even somehow can feel it was okay, think of this affecting the program you care enough about to be on this board. It's worth remembering, because it's right to do so.
 And so something like this doesn't happen again.

Last edited by jf (11/16/2022 5:37 pm)

11/16/2022 5:43 pm  #18

Rising-Sorry for disappointing you.Get in line!

11/16/2022 6:30 pm  #19

Moved. Shocker lol

11/16/2022 6:56 pm  #20

jf wrote:

Before this thread is locked (and it shouldn't be, though it's fine to move to rewind).
Appreciate GW69's professional insights and human experience and certainly understand his point. 
   But we need to understand ML's career perspective. From his point of view, he built up his career,
turned down triple his salary and was brought down by a scandal that doesn't seem to be a scandal,
according to Deadspin and what we know, both collectively and individually.
I don't know, but somewhere around the age of 50 with a wife and I believe five kids, he lost his livelihood.
He may never have to work again thanks to GW, but needs to do something to occupy his time and have health insurance, especially. And pretty sure he loves basketball and in fact, sports.
  ML had worked all his life for this spot that he had, climbing up the ladder. He may never coach again, starting at the level he had attained. ML could have climbed the coaching ladder further
later, probably at a point of his choosing.

Everyone can do things how they want but if ML truly wanted to get back into college basketball in some capacity, he's going about it in all the wrong ways.  

Take a look at his buddy Jimmy Patsos.  Fired for similar allegations of "verbal and emotional abuse" from Siena.  I'm sure he refutes those allegations but from all I've seen he doesn't go out of his way to badmouth Siena in public.  He's gone on to have a successful DC coaches podcast with Gary Williams (why doesn't ML go on that show?), travels the AAU circuit, and now obviously has a relationship with GW and NBC Sports Washington doing color on the broadcast.

Pat Chambers is another coach that was fired for abuse, took some time off, and is now a HC again at FGCU.  Give him a few years and he may be back at like an AAC or A10 level school.

Point is, I don't know ML personally so I'm not going to try and tell him how to feel or when he should "get over" what happened at GW.  All I'll say is that if he truly wanted to get back into basketball, either through coaching, scouting, or media, he needs to rethink how he protrays himself on social media. At some point, the reason ML is not involved in basketball is ML.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/16/2022 7:06 pm)

Board footera