GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2019 3:13 pm  #21

Re: Buzzer Beaters

TC, I remember that game very well.  It was a noon game on a Saturday afternoon on ESPN.  It was actually an out-of-conference game for GW.  Within a couple of years, Xavier would join the conference along with Dayton, La Salle, Fordham and Virginia Tech.

12/06/2019 9:02 pm  #22

Carl Elliott’s Hans down at a place where GW gets dirt napped nearly all the time. Topped only by the life sized toaster McGonigle Hall.

12/09/2019 1:11 pm  #23

Elliot's winner against Charlotte is the biggest and best and most fun to me, without a doubt.  The announcer's quizzical call of "Noel Wilmore!?!?!" when he fires the shot that Elliot put back was hilarious.  TJ vs Dayton was also great, as was Carl's vs Dayton which was hilarious with the run off the floor.  

PS - Noel Wilmore is apparently an artist now, who knew?  https://newilmore.wixsite.com/noelwilmoreart/about  And apparently basketball prevented him from getting a BFA...

12/09/2019 4:13 pm  #24

Glad Noel is enjoying artistic license and pursuing his interests with a GW degree, albeit in not his preferred major.
Didn't the Charlotte game have two buzzer beaters or at least waning seconds buzzer beaters?
Carl off the air ball and Mike Hall's calmly made FT's on the Goldwire foul?
And Pops and Mike Hall (and maybe Omar or Carl) dancing on the table top to celebrate a 16-0 season.
 Good thread to keep us occupied for 2 weeks without a game.

12/09/2019 4:26 pm  #25

JF, how about a third in the same game?  GW was down 3 when Mo Rice buried a corner three to tie the game with 8 seconds left in regulation.  

12/09/2019 9:51 pm  #26

While technically not a buzzer beater since there was a second left on the clock, this one was fun to watch. Zeke with the rebound and dunk against...who else but Dayton.
https://youtu.be/qq_KeUW7lB4

And here's the Mo Rice shot against Charlotte to send the game in to overtime. I forgot that he had gotten the rebound, then had to dribble back to the 3-point line in the corner in order to tie the game.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=trQQd0TMbGY

12/09/2019 11:06 pm  #27

Pretty amazing that the vast majority of our buzzer beaters are actually on putbacks of shots that missed badly (Noel's airball, Potter's brick, Kwame's bricked layup for that zeke dunk, etc.).   Wonder if that's actually typical of all buzzer beaters or just a statistical oddity for us. .

12/18/2019 12:52 pm  #28

My favorite of all time (GW @ Dayton 2005). Jaw dropped when Elliot hit the buzzer beater. Totally unexpected. 

Last edited by fungerhall (12/18/2019 12:53 pm)

12/18/2019 6:23 pm  #29

I hope in 10 years, Javi Langarica 2019 remains in the memory banks! I fear not but it sure was fun to see

12/18/2019 11:00 pm  #30

Even Shawnta’s famous buzzer beater was after he missed a shot.  On the other hand, no put back when Creek drilled that 3 vs  Maryland c

12/18/2019 11:35 pm  #31

I rushed the court for the Shawnta buzzer beat from the student section, I was like Costanza escaping a fire alarm.  Thrilling moment and as a undergrad student even more fun.  
There's a great video of that whole event someone should post, including the aftermath, Shawnta interview the student pouring onto the court etc

12/19/2019 6:29 pm  #32

My favorite buzzer beater was  Yuta's against VCU.  Well, it was my favorite until some kid that plays for Delaware and/or his coach, or perhaps the referees, decided to negate the moment.

Last edited by 22ndandF (12/19/2019 6:32 pm)

12/20/2019 1:58 pm  #33

Shawnta Rogers buzzer beater. Unbelievable. Probably the best of all time given the hype leading up to the game and the conference title on the line.  Vintage GW. 

12/20/2019 2:25 pm  #34

Bilas announcing.

12/20/2019 2:48 pm  #35

Wow, that is Bilas. 

What a court rush, what a Colonial. what a Moment.

12/20/2019 3:38 pm  #36

The downer of that video is when they show Penders in the aftermath and I realize that Jarvis wasn't the coach and that game was the pinnacle between sold out Smith Centers (avg attendance was ~4,200) and a long slide down to irrelevance.

12/20/2019 3:56 pm  #37

That does not get old.  Shawnta of course hit the shot and Bilas correctly pointed out how astute it was of Mike King to get Shawnta the ball back but how about Andry Sola back-tapping the Shawnta miss so that King could get his hands on the ball?  Very little has been said over the years about Andry's role on this play  but without Sola making the play he made, this one goes to overtime.  Instead, we partied like it was 1999.

12/20/2019 4:15 pm  #38

Maybe I missed it (and maybe it was another game) but wasn't Shawnta just recovering from the flu?  Makes that game even more amazing to me.

12/20/2019 5:10 pm  #39

I fucking love that highlight!!!

12/21/2019 7:16 am  #40

Also a great reminder of what the program can be.  Big games in front of large, energized crowds.

Board footera