GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2022 7:56 am  #121

Re: Other Games Thread

jf wrote:

Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough, but didn't Georget$%n have a 1 point lead with seconds to go?
 But the cowards wind up losing to a team we absolutely thrashed.
Makes the win on Wednesday taste even sweeter.

South Carolina was up 1 and missed the front end of a 1 and 1.  Georgetown then scored with under 10 seconds left to take a one point lead. South Carolina tried to rush it up the court and threw a long pass that missed and went out of bounds; but when the refs went to the monitor, it was clear that a Georgetown player grabbed the jersey of the player going for the ball so they called a technical or flagrant.  South Carolina made the first to tie, missed the second, and got the ball back but GG Jackson missed at the buzzer.  Then USC won it in OT because Georgetown stinks.

12/04/2022 7:30 pm  #122

Hurley's UCONN is #4 in KenPom

North Carolina lost their 4th in a row. From #1 to 4 straight losses 

12/06/2022 9:53 am  #123

15 points for Gapare leading 7-1 UMASS to another win, he added 5 steals in 20 minutes

Gapare scores 15 off bench, UMass beats Albany (NY) 87-73
— Tafara Gapare scored 15 points off of the bench to lead UMass over Albany
87-73 on Monday night.
3h - Data Skrive/_/gameId/401487700

12/06/2022 4:53 pm  #124

Hurley is a clown but gotta love season the Huskies back in relevance. Meanwhile UNC is falling apart at the seams. Gotta love that too

12/06/2022 4:54 pm  #125

Also NOBODY is gonna talk about UMD kicking absolute ass so far????? I know some on here are still salty about the BB&T disintegrating but come on. Props to a solid team. Turns out the issue was the piss poor coaching from Turd-geon after all!

12/06/2022 5:30 pm  #126

We'll be facing another former GW player Saturday when AU comes in. Lincoln Ball, who had a cup of coffee with us is on the AU roster. 

12/06/2022 6:17 pm  #127

Skittles wrote:

Also NOBODY is gonna talk about UMD kicking absolute ass so far????? I know some on here are still salty about the BB&T disintegrating but come on. Props to a solid team. Turns out the issue was the piss poor coaching from Turd-geon after all!

You're right, the Terps are way better than what people projected for them. I believe they were picked to finish around 9th in the Big 10, and they could be ranked 9th in the country in a week or 2!! The Charlotte transfer/DeMatha grad Jahmir Young (GW faced him once or twice in recent years) is playing very well for them. It's interesting that Georgetown and Maryland were in similar positions, in terms of being competitive but not being able to make the tournament over a period of years but Georgetown refused to look for the best candidate, they just brought in another John Thompson disciple, and they are getting worse and worse, while Maryland appears to have hit a homerun with their hire in Willard.

12/06/2022 10:01 pm  #128

Mezie Offurum and James Madison giving UVA fits tonight

2 point game with a few minutes on the road

James Madison beat UVA a few years ago on their home court

12/06/2022 10:06 pm  #129

BC loses to UNH at home. Should help our KenPom lol.

12/06/2022 11:01 pm  #130

BC seems to have been really hurt by the move from the Big East to the ACC

Football too, it wasn't all that long ago they had Matt Ryan and a top 5 team. 

7 NCAA trips in the 2000s in Hoops, 4 times a top 4 seed. They just went the whole last decade without 1 trip and things look even bleaker in the 2020s

12/07/2022 7:17 pm  #131

Watching the Siena/Georgetown game and with the way Georgetown is playing I have no doubt in my mind we would hold our own against them.  They actually have some of the same issues we do in terms of sloppy passing, giving up offensive rebounds, slow rotations on defense, getting beat off the dribble, and a lot of iso guard play.

Georgetown's conditioning doesn't look all that great either.  Lethargic on both ends.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/07/2022 7:19 pm)

12/07/2022 7:53 pm  #132

GW0509 wrote:

Watching the Siena/Georgetown game and with the way Georgetown is playing I have no doubt in my mind we would hold our own against them.  They actually have some of the same issues we do in terms of sloppy passing, giving up offensive rebounds, slow rotations on defense, getting beat off the dribble, and a lot of iso guard play.

Georgetown's conditioning doesn't look all that great either.  Lethargic on both ends.

I'm watching too, I think coaching is the main issue, Georgetown has a huge advantage with Akok and Wahab, there is no reason for them to be giving up as many offensive rebounds and uncontested points in the paint as they do. GW would definitely hold their own against Georgetown because I don't think they are capable of putting together a complete/dominant 40-minute effort against anyone. I think Georgetown would be way better if Caputo or Kevin Willard was coaching them.

Also, it doesn't look like the free tickets to D.C. residents really helped the attendance, they may have slightly more people in the courtside seats. 

Last edited by Thomas (12/07/2022 7:59 pm)

12/07/2022 8:50 pm  #133

G'town beats Siena.  Siena has about the same as KenPom so as things go lately for Gtown that's a decent win.   When The Big East schedule beings things will likely get pretty ugly

Speaking of which, how about 9-1 St Johns! Destroyed DePaul today, KenPom is now 41.  Mike Anderson has fully turned it around in NYC something 20 years in the making

Hurley's UCONN team is blowing out Florida on ESPN2.  A  tale of two teams in different program stages, rebuilt UCONN top 5 and blowing out everyone, Florida beginning their rebuild under Todd Golden, an excellent hire.

UCONN wins this game 75-54   They are the #2 KenPom in the nation, the only team top 10 in both offense and defense

Last edited by The Dude (12/07/2022 11:27 pm)

12/08/2022 8:25 pm  #134

Rutgers at #25 Ohio St a good matchup on ESPN and ESPN2 has Iowa vs #20 Iowa St

Iowa is winning 20-2.  Not sure what the record for a non ranked team beating a ranked team is but so far on pace for whatever it is

12/11/2022 1:25 am  #135

There's a 7'2 Center on UCONN who in 15 minutes had 21 points 11 boards 2 blocks off the bench tonight

12/14/2022 12:28 am  #136

17 points for Brayon Freeman.  Rhode Island beat 11-1 UMASS-Lowell who came into the game a top 100 KenPom
4 for 5 from 3 for Brayon 

Richmond had a 42-9 halftime lead on one of last year's Elite 8 teams, you can probably guess which one!

Last edited by The Dude (12/14/2022 12:28 am)

12/14/2022 10:32 am  #137

The Dude wrote:

17 points for Brayon Freeman.  Rhode Island beat 11-1 UMASS-Lowell who came into the game a top 100 KenPom
4 for 5 from 3 for Brayon 

Richmond had a 42-9 halftime lead on one of last year's Elite 8 teams, you can probably guess which one!

Fairleigh Dickinson reached the Elite 8 last year?  Fairleigh Dickinson AND St. Peters?  I would have thought that might have received even more attention.

12/14/2022 9:44 pm  #138

Skittles wrote:

I've got to respond to this again because Maryland looks as if they are about to lose their 3rd straight game as they trail UCLA at home 32-11 with 5 minutes left in the 1st half. Everything they were doing right (3 point shooting, defense, rebounding) are now weaknesses in their last 3 games. Did you post this as a way to jinx them!! LOL 

This game is on FS1

Last edited by Thomas (12/14/2022 9:46 pm)

12/14/2022 11:24 pm  #139

Thomas wrote:

Skittles wrote:

I've got to respond to this again because Maryland looks as if they are about to lose their 3rd straight game as they trail UCLA at home 32-11 with 5 minutes left in the 1st half. Everything they were doing right (3 point shooting, defense, rebounding) are now weaknesses in their last 3 games. Did you post this as a way to jinx them!! LOL 

This game is on FS1

They will right the path, got 2 get right games in a row now. Other 2 games were close despite poor shooting. This was truly a gross game though

12/15/2022 11:42 am  #140

Skittles wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Skittles wrote:

This game is on FS1

They will right the path, got 2 get right games in a row now. Other 2 games were close despite poor shooting. This was truly a gross game though

MD is going nowhere fast. The last 3 games exposed a number of weaknesses. Are they better than the ass kicking they got last night - sure. But are they among the 20 best teams in the country? I doubt it. Remember Tennessee was up huge at half and then relaxed. They face a brutal Big 10 schedule soon after a couple of cupcakes in St. Peter's and UMBC. If they make the tournament, I will be impressed.

Board footera